AZSFW HB2072...letter from Weiers...

BuzzH

Apparently Weiers "doesnt get it"...just got this canned response back from the email I sent him.

I think he needs to be sent packing...I'd vote him out of office because clearly he's the one "not seeing the big picture".

He's bought and paid for by AZSFW, no doubt about it.

hb 2072

SALE OF BIG GAME TAGS

STATE CAPITOL, PHOENIX (January 17, 2012) – In a well intentioned effort to preserve the future of big game sport hunting in the state of Arizona, I worked with my colleagues and constituents and Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife by sponsoring HB 2072. I did so not only out of a sense of duty to promote the natural health of our state’s wildlife but also to guarantee the future of big game hunting for generations of hunters to come whom, like myself, want nothing more than to responsibly join in this rich and deeply rooted tradition.

The conservationists and hunting/angling sportsmen and sportswomen whom were supporting this bill met with me last week. After meeting with them I decided that this legislation would not be received favorably by the hunting sportsmen and sportswomen of our state. And for this reason I ultimately decided that the bill in its present form will not move forward.

It is most unfortunate that Arizona’s sportsmen, including members of some of Arizona’s foremost wildlife conservation groups, have no concept as to how HB 2072 would benefit the state of Arizona, the Arizona Game and Fish Department, wildlife and wildlife habitat, Arizona’s youth, landowners and sportsmen.

The State would benefit by increasing tourism and providing a $25.4 Million annual boost in economic activity for the state - $4 Million of which would benefit our rural counties; raise an additional $2.2 Million in new tax collections for state and local governments; and $10.2 million additional income for Arizona households.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department would benefit by increasing hunting and fishing license revenues to the state by approximately $900,000 and providing additional sources of revenue to augment three critical problem areas identified in the Department’s Five-Year Strategic Plan. From 1996 to 2006 (according to a U. S. Fish and Wildlife Report) the number of hunting and fishing licenses sold by the Department decreased by 98,000 combined despite the fact that Arizona’s population grew substantially.

Arizona’s wildlife would benefit by providing approximately $1 Million for wildlife habitat enhancement and increasing big game wildlife populations. The Department has insufficient revenues to fund the many habitat enhancement projects currently on the list and Arizona’s big game wildlife herds, except for elk, are either decreasing in size or are staying relatively flat despite the annual infusion of $90 to $100 Million annually in Department spending. For example total deer permits issued have dropped from a high of 92,545 permits in 1984 to a low of 36,665 permits in 2004. In 2010 43,993 total deer permits were issued. Mule deer herd sizes have suffered the most as demonstrated in the Department’s harvest report which shows that harvested mule deer numbers decreased from a high of 19,454 in 1986 to a low of 3,753 in 2003. A total of 4,818 mule deer were harvested in 2010.

Arizona’s youth would benefit by providing approximately $750,000 to introduce the youth to replace hunters and anglers leaving the sport. As of the most recent U. S. Fish and Wildlife published in 2006 68% of the hunters and anglers are 35 years of age and older while 32% are 35 years of age and under.

Arizona Landowners and Sportsmen would benefit by providing approximately $750,000 to $1 Million in new revenue to augment the Department’s landowner access program. Landowners are closing access, in large part because of the cost incurred to accommodate public access and damage done to private lands by irresponsible sportsmen, access across private land to public lands is continuing to diminish, thus leaving hundreds of thousands of acres unavailable to the sportsmen to hunt and fish.

The situation that helped me decide to not move forward with the legislation is one in which I found myself determined to avoid the breakdown of a currently unified front of hunting constituents and enthusiasts though holding the bill may not accomplish that objective. I know that we cannot afford to divide this extremely important union of conservationists that have been, for the most part, our most staunch allies in the face of threats against the rights of Arizona’s hunters and anglers starting with the initiative that ended the ability to trap on public lands.

I feel we, the sportsmen and women of Arizona, have a mutual admiration for the wildlife of our state and the rights of Arizona’s hunters and anglers to join in its bounty. I can only hope that conservation organizations and the average sportsmen will try to understand the bigger picture and the benefits of HB 2072, support this or a similar concept and not allow those who would oppose us to divide and conquer and further destroy our right to hunt and fish.

I will continue to work in earnest to make sure that the sport of big game hunting and angling will be available for many generations to come. I encourage those of you who were concerned only about getting a tag to rethink your position. HB 2072 offered a unique and innovative way to help offset the current trend of problems that, if allowed to continue, will only continue to deplete our big game herds and limit fishing opportunities, thus reducing our hunting and fishing opportunities in the future.

Got the same email myself.He has alot of SFW money to lose if he does not try to continue.Im sure SFW lobbiest has him in there pocket like many others. He gets it but money and SFW is what is telling him what to do. I responding back to him again.

Yeah, I guess he doesn't get it. I responded too, but probably much nicer than yours, Buzz. ;) Only my last line wasn't very nice.

"Representative Weiers-
Thank you for sending that along to me. I am aware of your long-standing
effort to work for Arizona sportsmen and women, as well as your history of
helping ensure the future of our wildlife herds in this state. It came as
a great surprise to me that you would support this bill--a bill that I
still think is bad for Arizona, despite potentially earning much needed
monies for the issues of hunter recruitment/retention, habitat enhancement
and land access.

Those issues are at the crux of the future of hunting in this state, the
West and the rest of the country. How, or if, they are solved will have
tremendous impact to that important endeavor. There can be no debate about
that. It can be debated that you 'worked with my colleagues and
constituents' enough on this matter. If you had, you would not have
misjudged the reaction.

Simplifying those in opposition of this bill as "concerned only about
getting a tag" or having 'no concept as to how HB 2072 would benefit the
state of Arizona' is a gross mistake on your part. I feel that the vast
majority of Arizona hunters--citizens who have been respectfully 'trying
their luck' at drawing those tags--opposed this bill did so because they
do not want their wildlife herds monetized. They do not see the need to
separate more tags from the current lottery only to place the proceeds in
the hands of one entity. They wonder where accountability will come from
in that circumstance. They do not see the need for another Outdoor
Expo--in addition to the one orchestrated by AZGFD--and do not believe it
will raise the revenues that were speculated. And finally, and perhaps
most importantly, they do not want to see an organization like SFW
wielding any power in this state, as they do in Utah--where the common
hunter has become disenchanted and marginalized.

Arizona hunters have raised their collective hands, made their voice heard
on this issue. It is possible some did not fully understand the finer
points, (speculated) revenues and other details. Thank you for providing
those details with this statement. It has given me a broader understanding
of the scope of the project, but it hasn't swayed my opinion: Selling big
game tags is a shortcut to raising revenue Arizona cannot afford to take.
I have seen 'non-profits' fetter as much money as they raise, unchecked
and without accountability. I foresee the same possibilities with this
bill as it was written, and any future incarnations.

I will not ever support the monetizing of our wildlife through extra tags
issued to select groups. I do not support the issuance of 'special tags'
period, but might reconsider if the particulars were handled by and if
revenues went directly to AZGFD. I think the introduction and support of
HB 2072 was a mistake on your part and am willing to let that pass.
Continued support or pursuit of a similar bill will lead me to a much
different conclusion.

Devil Diver Down,

My reply wasnt nearly as harsh as I wanted it to be...

Mr. Jerry Weiers,

Thank you for the memo that I just received today, Jan. 17, 2012.

I believe that it is a good idea that you reconsidered on this bill.

The thing that troubles me though, is the condescending tone of your memo. You imply that Arizona Resident and Non Resident somehow missed the boat by not supporting this short-sighted bill. That is troubling, very troubling considering that many of your constituents were not asked. More troubling that the AZG&F commission was not included, nor the AZG&F at all.

The interest of SFW and a hand full of your constituents do not represent the best interests of ALL sportsmen. These groups are politically and monitarily motivated to help themselves to the States Wildlife Resources via auction tags. I gave you an example, Utah, as a clear picture of whats happening. The list of auction and governors tags in Utah is 7 pages long...around 500 total permits. How is the average hunter benefitting from the wealthy buying up these tags and seeing their drawing odds reduced? Those permits came from the Non Resident pool of tags, greatly diminishing drawing odds to hunters that have applied for many years and donated money faithfully for decades.

I find it beyond troubling that you still cling to the assertion that you "acted in the best interest of the average sportsmen". Apparently, from the amount of letters you received on this issue that really isnt the case. Sportsmen in Arizona still believe in the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, where one of the cornerstones is "equal access to Wildlife Resources to all citizens". This isnt a punch line, this is a model that was developed to defy the way game is "managed" in Europe for the exclusive use of the wealthy. These auction and raffle tags create a system exactly like that, giving advantage to the wealthy and creating, once again, "the kings deer".

I also dont believe that auction/raffle tags and expos are the only way to raise revenue for wildlife in Arizona. I apply for, and am active in hunting in 8 states. I see programs developed to raise money in those states that Arizona currently is not employing. While I agree that management is not cheap, I disagree with peddling the publics resources to the highest bidder.

Further, you will garner very little support from your constituents with comments like these: "I can only hope that conservation organizations and the average sportsmen will try to understand the bigger picture and the benefits of HB 2072"

I think if anything, YOU dont see the big picture. The one issue that all sportmen can rally around is to keep wildlife within reach of all its Citizens via the North American Model. If you dont believe this to be true, you grossly under-estimate the intelligence and the voting power of the "hook and bullet" crowd. They clearly see the big picture, that AZSFW, along with these types of backhanded deals and closed door meetings that attempt to show favoritism to the wealthy, are not going to be tolerated. I'm quite positive that message was clear to you by the shear volume of phone calls and comments you received. Also, your memo is being posted on many hunting bulletin boards...perhaps if you have the time, it would be of ineterest for you to look at websites like hunttalk.com, coueswhitetail.com, etc. You'll see how well received this bill and your reply were taken.

If you would like to discuss this issue, I would gladly take your phone call or continue via personal email.

Thank you,

"I did so not only out of a sense of duty to promote the natural health of our state’s wildlife but also to guarantee the future of big game hunting for generations of hunters to come whom, like myself, want nothing more than to responsibly join in this rich and deeply rooted tradition"
The word "rich" sums it up...LOL...

This guy does not get it either.Im sure plenty of you guys and gals have read it. So he is ok with SFW to decide where the money goes too.Sound just like Utah.Any way you look it at it BS.Simple no matter how much coating you want to spice it up with.The facts are the facts.

from Chris Denham:
Friends:

I am heading out the door to the first trade show of the year but I wanted to weigh in HB 2072.

You are probably hearing a lot about HB 2072, which was introduced in the state legislature last week. Most of what I read is a poor interpretation of the actual bill. I encourage you to read it all and make an informed decision.

Let me give you a very brief synopsis of the bill. HB 2072 allows a qualifying organization to purchase about 300 big game tags from the Arizona Game and Fish Department and re-issue them via auction and raffle. The majority of the tags will be sold through a raffle to be held at an annual sportsman's expo to be held in Arizona. There are six purposes for which this money can be spent, and they are written into the law! Here they are:

1. TO SUSTAIN OR CREATE SPORTSMEN EDUCATION AND OUTDOOR PROGRAMS FOR
YOUTH OF THIS STATE.

2. TO FACILITATE ACCESS FOR SPORTSMEN TO CROSS PRIVATE LANDS ONTO
PUBLIC LANDS.

3. TO SUSTAIN OR ENHANCE HABITAT IN THIS STATE AND TO INCREASE
TARGETED SPECIES POPULATIONS FOR DEER, SHEEP, ELK, PRONGHORN (ANTELOPE) AND
TURKEY IN THIS STATE.

4. TO FACILITATE PUBLIC EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATIONS PROGRAMS RELATING
TO SPORTSMEN AND WILDLIFE ISSUES.

5. TO PROTECT SPORTSMEN HERITAGE.

6. TO CONDUCT OTHER PROGRAMS OR ACTIVITIES THAT PROMOTE CONCEPTS
CONSISTENT WITH THE NORTH AMERICAN MODEL OF WILDLIFE CONSERVATION.
I. THE LEGISLATURE FINDS THAT ALL OF THE PURPOSES IN SUBSECTION H,
PARAGRAPHS 1 THROUGH 6 OF THIS SECTION COMPLEMENT AND ENHANCE THE
DEPARTMENT'S MANAGEMENT OF WILDLIFE IN THE PUBLIC TRUST UNDER THIS TITLE TO
INCLUDE CURRENT AND FUTURE PROGRAMS IN THE DEPARTMENT'S STRATEGIC PLAN AND
COMPREHENSIVE WILDLIFE CONSERVATION STRATEGY. FOR THE PURPOSES LISTED IN
SUBSECTION H OF THIS SECTION, THE QUALIFIED ORGANIZATION MAY USE THE
PROCEEDS, SOLELY OR IN CONJUNCTION WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS, TO MAKE MATCHING
OR OTHER GRANTS TO THE DEPARTMENT AND TO ORGANIZATIONS THAT ARE QUALIFIED
PURSUANT TO SECTION 501©(3) OF THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE AND WHOSE ARTICLES

I seriously doubt that anybody would testify that these specific causes are not worthy, or that they are already being adequately managed by a government agency.

I have read multiple e-mails that raise false concerns or are simply incorrect. Here are some examples:

1. This will affect how auction tags are currently distributed. False. HB2072 specifically avoids the subject of special auction tag and will have no bearing on how those tags are distributed.

2. These tags can be resold. False. These tags can only be transferred under the current rules that regulate tag transfers.

3. These tags are being taken away from the average hunter. True, in the short run. Of course we are talking about 0.2 of 1 percent of the tags, the change in drawing odds is so small that it cannot be calculated. Besides, how difficult will it be to increase our big game herds by 0.2 of one percent with a serious cash infusion? These tags will improve the average hunter's odds of drawing a tag within a very short period of time.

I have read some concerns that are very accurate, such as, "there are very few groups who could qualify for these tags". This is very true, the bill is limiting in this regard. But, given the strict controls on how this money is to be spent, what benefit can be derived from splitting the money and further diluting its effectiveness?

I encourage you to read the bill for yourself. I am confident that once you have done that, you will join me in support of this bill.

--
Chris Denham
Marketing Director,
Elk Hunter Magazine
Western Hunter Magazine
480-993-8627
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
www.elkhuntermagazine.com

"TO CONDUCT OTHER PROGRAMS OR ACTIVITIES THAT PROMOTE CONCEPTS
CONSISTENT WITH THE NORTH AMERICAN MODEL OF WILDLIFE CONSERVATION."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Really??? Consistent with the north american model of wildlife conservation??? Really??? Like Mike Ditka says................Who ya crappin???

"These tags will improve the average hunter's odds of drawing a tag within a very short period of time."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Really??? I have 15 worthless deer points in Utah, still waiting for Don to rescue the decreasing herd. After he stole the 200 nonresident permits for his expo the hunt that was at my fingertips suddenly was 5 points beyond reach!!! So my question is what is this guy's idea of a "very short time"?.............2 decades?

What a big steaming pile of BS this guy spews.

"I encourage you to read the bill for yourself. I am confident that once you have done that, you will join me in support of this bill."

Well Chris. You would be wrong again. I've read it 3 times and threw up in my mouth a little more each time. The truth is you and your cronnies' pockets would be lined with cash if this BS bill passed.

Chris - Please just go away. Nobody wants you in Arizona. Why not move to Argentina and sell your plan down there?

Chris Denham
Marketing Director,
Elk Hunter Magazine
Western Hunter Magazine
480-993-8627

With that kind of response and a signature like that I don't think I need any new elk magazines - thank you very much.

I always enjoy when someone tells me I only disagree with them because I am missing something. Second runner up is that I'm passing up a sweet deal like this one because I'm only looking out for myself. This guy better get his head screwed on straight in a hurry or he's going to be missing something. Like his seat in public office. If he takes step one in the same direction, I'll be pushing for voters to slap him so hard it knocks the taste out of his mouth.

It might be just me, but I think if I "owned" these magazines, and this dude is my marketing director, I think I would have told this guy to cool it with the emails and such pushing this, no matter what his personal beliefs are. Just isn't good business having one of your folks going around kicking hornets' nests. Especially signing his email with his "title" as Marketing Director, whether his boss thinks it or not, that shows he is speaking for the company.

Kind of like the Secretary of State of the US flying around the world telling everyone how great communism is and those that don't like it, just don't get it. This person carries a title and carries the weight of that title along with their words and actions.

I know this is about Arizona but I have been doing some research on Idaho SFW and I am confused from what I have read and looked at these guys have several chapters all over Idaho correct? But on the website shows nothing what they are doing and the only way to see what activities they are involved in is to look at their facebook page and all they ever are talking about is SE Idaho just wondering if anyone in Idaho can tell me what they have done state wide. I am a member of Deer Hunters of Idaho and even the website they have to offer as a non profit shows all they have done in years past and present. I had heard of the SFW before but just blew them off but all this stuff happening lately has me thinking why have them in any state......??

I was a little blunt with my response. He will find some serious resistance in his next campaign primary here. This letter was surely written by Suzanne Gilstrap and was a major mistake on Weiers part. I hope we can get enough people to vote him out next election. Low turnouts and we could send a serious message to any othe politicians that get compromised.

2Points - I've been watching SFW very closely for 10 years and am amazed they continue to con people everywhere. They have been lying for 10 years. They have had no transparency for 10 years. I was a board member on the largest wildlife org in my home state and we got things done, including legislatively, on donations. Even our lobbying and legal fees were donated.

During the same time I saw public tags stolen from the American public by SFW more and more each year. They are poison for sportsmen. This latest AZ scam was no surprise to me. You could see it coming. Many predicted it, even after promises were made as they collected members. Now more lies, more tag theft. SFW needs to rot in hell. I don't apply to hunt Idaho but you can bet the ranch SFW has it's eyes on your best trophy tags. It's only a matter of time. BTW - They will tell you they only want a fraction of a % of your tags but what they leave out is they want the absolute best tags and will leave you with the others.

As to why they are in your state? Simple. They are there to buy your legislators and insert their cronnies on your wildlife board. And steal public tags for profit. That is about it.

Last edited:
Going back to my prior post, I just get so pissed these clowns have the nerve to use the following words:

"TO CONDUCT OTHER PROGRAMS OR ACTIVITIES THAT PROMOTE CONCEPTS
CONSISTENT WITH THE NORTH AMERICAN MODEL OF WILDLIFE CONSERVATION."

Totally unbelievable. They want to pull off the all time biggest single rape of the North American Model and then they go on to use that phrase like they are in actuality promoting it?

This is like John Wayne Gacy telling you to give him your kids in the name of child abuse awareness! WTF???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reedgar
Back