Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

AZ Muley-- Bernard the Buck

Biscuit Hunter

It's taken me more than a minute to get around to posting this story, because I had to figure out how to tell it, and how much of it to tell. Some of it is hard to share. Parts of it are painful and downright embarrassing. But in the end things only worked out on our hunt because we were honest, so this story will be honest too.

My son drew an AZ youth tag for an area close enough that we could scout it often, and our scouting went well. Monsoons stayed late into September, and the edge areas in our unit were attracting lots of deer.

eli deer scout.jpg

Before scouting, I had planned on hiking in deep to avoid other hunters, but our scouting trips found lots of easily accessible animals, including two nice 4x4s, and a really cool young buck that was forked on his right side, and had a funky, almost-foot-long splayed-out-underneath-the-ear wacky looking antler on his left side. But my son didn't care about antlers. He wanted "a buck," and since I figured that the area where we'd seen the most animals would be getting a lot of pressure, I based our strategy on us getting things done quick, before all the critters got spooked into the really, really thick areas.

So the night before the opener we drove in late and set up a quiet, unobtrusive camp. Between my sons snoring and the crazy amount of coyotes sounding off all night I hardly slept a wink, but come shooting light we were headed out of camp, me being silently amazed that we still had this area to ourselves. I really wondered if we were doing the right thing by hunting such an obvious place-- such an easy place to shoot a deer-- pinning my entire strategy for opening day around getting to them first.

Then about a half hour into our hike...bingo...there's a deer. I got my son on the sticks and reminded him to wait for my go-ahead before he shot. I got the glass on the deer, and sure enough, he was a he, no doubt. I told my son that he was a little forky, and he was fine with that, so we talked over the shot. The buck was about 100 yards away, looking right at us. He had us totally busted, but hadn't spooked. I asked my son if he was okay with a frontal shot, but he hesitated before answering, so I told him to wait...the buck moved until he was quartering towards, still looking right at us. I figured he might bolt any minute, so I talked my son through picking his spot on the shoulder. About this time I saw a doe come out of the bushes and start on a path that would take her right behind the buck, so I told my son "Take him."

Boom. He broke the shot and the buck humped, took a step or two, then went into the surrounding brush. Holy adrenaline rush. Half-hour into opening morning.

We waited a few and then walked up on the site. This is what we found. Bloody bone, a hit deer, no doubt.

eli bone.jpg

The trail led off into the thick, so we took our time. We found good sign. Tracks...then blood, fist sized spots. We followed this for about two hundred yards, I started getting nervous the farther we got with no deer on the ground. Then nothing. No blood, no tracks. Nothing.

Here's where the story gets hard. We looked. Please believe me; we looked. And looked. And looked. Our spirits were very low. Eventually we had the conversation-- what to do if we couldn't recover the deer that he had obviously hit. He asked me "Is it even legal to keep hunting, more importantly is it ethical?" I was so proud of him for asking about ethics. I told him that I could answer his question about legality-- it was perfectly legal to keep hunting and shoot a different deer. I told him that ethically it was up to him, that every hunter needed to make that decision for their self, in their own heart. I would not make that decision for him. Without hesitation he told me that he would not shoot another deer. His tag was filled. God, I love my son. He didn't even hesitate.

Then I told him how proud of him I was, that he had made the right call, but that we were far from done trying to recover his deer. So we looked some more.

But it just wasn't happening, and I was afraid that if his deer was still alive that we would push him clear out of the country, so we backed out. Eventually we broke camp and went home feeling completely defeated. The plan had worked perfectly until the first shot.

At home none of this sat right. There was that nagging feeling. The couch felt worse than a prison. It was accusing. My ass was in the wrong fugging place. There had to be more that we could do. So we let what was left of the weekend expire, and headed back out Monday, thinking that if his deer was still alive, we might find him in a familiar haunt, or if he was dead, we might find him by the smell or by the crows. But whatever we did we had to find him. We needed that closure. And so we looked. And we looked. We put miles on the boots. We put our eyes to the sky; we put our noses to the wind. Nothing.

I realized that neither he nor I were going to find his deer. So we loaded up into the truck and started the slow drive home. This was exactly how I didn't want his first hunt to go.

And then, on our way out, feeling about as low as could be, we came upon a truck in the road. I was just rolling by, giving the friendly nod and wave, when I recognized the driver. We hadn't seen a single person on any of our scouting trips or on any of the days of our hunt, and the one person we finally see, I remember. I don't really know him, but I remember him from my sons hunters ed class three years prior. "Whoa...hey..." I say. "Been a long time, remember us?" And we start up a conversation.

I asked him how their hunt had been. Ours was over, so I figured that maybe I could help put them on some deer if they hadn't had any luck.

"We've got two tags filled and one to go," he told me. Guy didn't need my help.

Then he asked how our hunt had been. To tell the truth I hesitated for just a second. If I were a liar I would have lied. I didn't want to tell him the truth. The truth sucked. We had wounded a deer and lost it. But I took a breath and told him our story. Shot a deer opening day and have been looking for it since.

He gave me kind of a funny look and said, "Shoulder shot? Right hand side?"

I told him I wasn't sure about the shot. Maybe shoulder. Maybe gut. I didn't see the hit. I'd found a chunk of bone that could've been rib or shoulder, I wasn't sure. But definitely right hand side.

"Little forky still in velvet?"

Yup. For sure.

"We got him. He's in the freezer."

At this point we could see his daughter smiling in the backseat. "I got him," she said. "That's my deer."

Turns out they had found him the morning prior, and his little girl took him as her first deer.

The way he described the wound from my sons shot was that it was in and out through the shoulder. The only thing I can think is that somehow the bullet got turned by the bone.

It was good to know that he was down and not suffering. Very, very good.

So good, in fact, that my son felt okay about continuing his hunt. Now that he knew the fate of the deer he wounded, that it ended up being taken by another first time hunter, he felt ok about trying again for his own. That his tag was still valid.

And so we glassed for a bit in the rest of the days light and made a new plan.

eli glassing.jpg

I had some obligations in town, so I finished them up, and we headed out again. Another small quiet camp was set in the dark. Another sleepless night spent with the song dogs, and shooting light was on us again.

And again, not thirty minutes into shooting light we were on deer. I picked out a young buck through the brush, and saw that my son would have a shot from prone. But I was nervous. I wanted to make sure the shot was good this time, so while trying to set up my pack to give him a perfect rest I spooked the buck. Were he not so polite I'm sure my son would have been cursing me out loud. But he's a good kid, so he kept it to himself.

We backed off of those deer, thinking that given some time to themselves they wouldn't go far, and thought about how to spend the rest of our day, thinking that if we left them alone we could hunt them again at last light or first light the next morning. We had found another good area during our scouting, so I figured our best bet was to head there and do some glassing. On the way, I thought what the heck, lets take a little detour. Who knows what we might see.

Well, the detour paid off. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye, and saw a deer trot off into the bush. I was sure it was a doe. But based on everything that the deer had been doing-- hardly spooky at all and not going far if they cared to run at all-- I figured it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

So we started a sneek. We had the wind in our face going into thick cover. I reminded my boy to be quiet and keep his eyes open; to be ready. I got on fresh deer tracks and followed them for a bit, not far. As I worked my way under and around an especially large scrub oak, I looked up and saw the deer looking at me. I immediately set up the sticks and told my son to find the deer in his scope.

He got the rifle up and started looking.

"Where, where? I don't see anything..." he said.

"RIGHT THERE," I tried to whisper. "40 yards ahead behind that juniper. RIGHT THERE."

I put the glasses on the deer, willing myself to find antlers, but unwilling to be wrong. It probably only took seconds, but it felt like forever trying to make sure that it wasn't just a branch I thought was an antler.

"He's a buck. Do you have a shot?"

Silence.

"Don't shoot unless you have a lane. Do you have a lane?"

Silence.

"If you have to move a little move a little."

Silence.

"If you have have a shot take him now."

Silence.

I start to doubt.

BOOM.

Completely took me by surprise. Totally lost sight of the buck. I have no idea where he went, he has completely disappeared.

I'm pretty nervous. We cannot lose another buck. We walk up on where the buck had been. We see a few spots of blood. I start the quiz.

You had a clear lane? There were no branches in front of his chest? You saw his chest? Where were the crosshairs when you broke the shot?

Dad-- he says-- I found his chest. There were no branches in the way. I did what you told me and imagined him as 3D, I thought about where his heart and lungs would be....

And then he went on to describe his aiming point in great detail, down to shadows on the shoulder and folds in the skin and the various colors of the hide.

I started to feel good. He seriously picked a spot and aimed small.

We walked about 30 yards, came through an opening in the brush, and this is what we saw.

elis deer ail.jpg

I'll share one more pic of my boy and his buck. It's my favorite, because it's so real. He actually apologized when I showed him this picture. Sorry--he said-- that I wasn't looking at the camera...I just had to check out my buck...

For a teenager to smile in front of a camera, without it being demanded...yeah...that's something special.

eli deer2.jpg

This buck ain't nothing about inches. He's everything for memories. He's everything for lessons.

And if, perhaps, I still have your attention...I might as well keep it a moment longer.

My favorite part about this hunt is that my son took his first deer with his great-grandfathers' rifle. It's there in the picture. I never met my grandfather. He died well before I was born. The only connection I have to him is through the firearms that he carefully acquired, had custom built, and through God's grace passed on down to me. I'm proud to think that I'm doing him proud by taking his great grandchild out hunting with his rifle. There's just something special about that. I'll stop trying to put it to words, and finish this story with an AZ sunset.

God bless my Grandfather. And God bless you all.

eli sunset.jpg

Persistence, honesty, and sportsmanship. I can't think of a better real-life lesson for a young man or a hunter. Awesome!

Awsome story. Family, ethics, and respect for your quarry. I think you'll have many more great hunts together.

Thanks you for sharing your story, you did a really nice write up on it. Congrats on your sons first buck, the best of many hunting memories you will be sharing with your best hunting buddy.

If that kind of memory could be captured on film, it would be the episode of the year. Congrats to your son. And to you for making such a special hunt for him.

congrats to your son on his first buck. You did a great job of telling the story, and your son can be proud of the way he handled the situation.

Tell your son he did great. No, it was beyond great.

Fantastic story and outcome. Hope this launches him on a lifetime of similar experiences with you, without the lost deer outcome. I've lost one in my life and my son has lost one, haunting me to this day.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back