Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Some moms take the kids to McDonalds...

270.Rose

We've always made a point of including the boys in our hunting trips and it was lovely to get out and about this afternoon with perfect weather, sunshine and blue skies on a crisp fall day. My husband took our middle son to check out a new spot and I had Mr. 8 and Mr. 5 in one of our favorite places to hunt.
Not long after we arrived we were seeing deer. The boys were fantastic about sitting quiet and still, keeping voices to a whisper, and the oldest had his new pair of 'grown up' binoculars, bought himself with his hard earned money. He was spotting whitetail deer in the brush at 410 yards and correctly identifying does and fawns.
The buck stepped out from behind a tree into clear sight and after 4 years of hunting I got my first case of buck fever. Ranged him at 408. I was shaking so hard I could barely keep him in the scope while I waited for him to turn broadside instead of facing directly away from us. Messed around. Got my pack adjusted to brace on. Rested my elbow on a rock. I knew as soon as I shot that I'd pulled it badly, it missed him clean but since he didn't know where it came from he stood still, broadside, looking around. Right away running the bolt the buck fever left, I was completely calm. All the fundamentals came together and the next shot hit exactly where I wanted it to. He dropped like a rock. I love that 7Mag. We might have a discussion about whose rifle it ends up being, when I catch my husband in a really good mood. (@220yotekiller, just kidding...or not...)
Of course we had a good dissection and biology lesson over the gutting, both boys pitched in to help and study all the different organs as they came out. They weren't squeamish about eating while they watched either, raiding my candy stash in my hunting pack. We got him dragged out to the road, loaded in the back of my longsuffering RAV4, and headed off to meet up with the rest of the family. It felt great to punch a tag, especially since the boys did so well in the field and enjoyed themselves thoroughly. I'm so thankful for the opportunity for them to know where their food comes from and grow up understanding the principles of conservation and game management, and very grateful for such great family memories.

Attachments

• whitetail2023.JPG
    whitetail2023.JPG
    538.3 KB · Views: 149
  • whitetailbuck2023.JPG
    whitetailbuck2023.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 148
  • KIMG5305.JPG
    KIMG5305.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 149
What a perfect day afield!

Congratulations and a salute on the behavior, self control and curiosity displayed by the young'uns.
It's amazing what level of discipline they are capable of at a pretty young age when given the opportunities to be involved and making sure it stays fun and interesting. Little Mr. 5 was busting keen to help with skinning so he got Dad's pocketknife and pitched in.

Attachments

• KIMG5311.JPG
    KIMG5311.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Time for a handle change… 7mmRM.Rose is available!

Congrats and job well done mom!
I love my Winchester .270 but walking up to that buck and seeing the bullet entry in the exact place that I'd put the crosshairs at over 400 yards, and then opening him up and finding the double lung wound (which the boys thought was highly interesting to dissect!) makes the Remington a very satisfying rifle to shoot. I'd call permanent dibs on it in a flash if my husband hadn't put so much work into setting it up just how he likes it :)

I love my Winchester .270 but walking up to that buck and seeing the bullet entry in the exact place that I'd put the crosshairs at over 400 yards, and then opening him up and finding the double lung wound (which the boys thought was highly interesting to dissect!) makes the Remington a very satisfying rifle to shoot. I'd call permanent dibs on it in a flash if my husband hadn't put so much work into setting it up just how he likes it :)
Sounds like it was set up for the both of you. Awesome job

I was in the the throes of my own hunt when you first posted this, but wow what an incredible day with your kids. It’s amazing the composure and maturity kids can manifest when really counts. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back