AZ Archery Elk

Thanks for the post Buschy...Somebody tell Jim that all my evals are already done it is a small school! I will be waiting for a call tomorrow as I am doing playground duty! Good luck Buschy!

Sounds like it may just be a matter of time, good luck you guys.

Sorry I didn't post last night. A very long and hard day. Last night was nothing but cows and calves. Only heard one bugle. Not sure where the bulls were.

Sitting here now, calling to bulls 300 yards on the wrong side of the fence. If the cows aren't crossing the fence, I don't know how to get the bulls to cross.

More later.

This hunt must be wearing Mr Big down. He's starting to miss days and the updates are down to one line....... : )

This morning was a heartbreaker! :(

We needed the bulls to be about 1/2 to one mile east of the reservation fence, where they have been every morning! When we walked in it was apparant they didn't make it that far last night, as there were multiple bulls bugling like mad just to the west over the fence. We decided to set up and try to draw a bull over to us knowing it would be very difficult.

Randy and Jim called for nearly 30 minutes while there was a buglefest going on about 400 yards away. I was thinking there was no way a bull was going to leave that kind of fun when I heard the fence rattle and the sound of a big animal hitting the ground above us. A few seconds latter a bull ripped off a few loud bugles and started working his way toward us. Antlers popped into sight and I immediately told the the camera guys this was a shooter. He was about a 320 6x6 that looked great! The bull picked his way down the hill while Randy was moving behind me trying to bring him in at a better angle. The bull came into range, but never gave me a good shot. I had told everyone I needed a good shot so I could put an animal down quickly, as we are hunting so close to the reservation. The bull eventually drited away up the hill.

Just as this bull was walking away another big bull had slipped in downhill and down wind of us. He bugled within 100 yards of us before he got our scent and slipped into the reservation. He was another good bull similar to the first one.

We regrouped and started to move to the north into the wind as the bulls were still sounding off. We made it maybe 200 yards when another bull bugled below us on the unit 1 side of the fence. The camera guys and I set up again while Randy and Jim started the calling routine. This bull clammed up and wouldn't say anything else. We snuck along the sidehill trying to see him moving below us with no luck. Just as the camera guys and I made it to the edge of the timber we heard an animal crashing through the trees right at us and another good 6x6 busted out and headed to the reservation fence. Randy and Jim had inadvertantly bumped him. It was quite a sight though.

I have to say I am a little bummed I didn't get a shot at the first bull, as he is iexactly what I am looking for (though I would happily shoot a bigger one if I have to:D) The good news is a friend from Springerville, JD, stopped by camp last night while we were cooking dinner and told us of an area he had checked out late yesterday afternoon which was tore up by bulls!!!! As he was sitting there checking out the area a 7x7 bull came into the meadow pushing a half dozen cows. JD knows big elk and said this bull would go about 355-360:hump: We are going to go check out the area this afternoon and get in there early tonight. I hope that bull shows up again tonight and I can post with some good news! Take care.

Good updates guys. You guys are calling in satellite bulls and they are 320. :eek: Tell your partner to keep us a little more updated on stuff. He's not even hunting. :D

Just think I shot a 350+ 7x7 on the 7th day of my arizona hunt. Just make sure and get to him before he gets all busted up.

Good luck Buschy!!!!

These guys are really working hard at it. The weather was not cooperating that well in the beginning and the ATV Jamboree was just rediculous, who plans these things?
Anyways Im new to this site and like what I see and read. Good luck Greg hope that area works for you tonight. There is too much good sign and acitivity in there to let it pass, especially when there didnt seem to be anyone hunting it. Keep at it!
JD

Well, we just walked into the afternoon spot. We were here all of ten minutes when the action started. While walking to get to a favirable location, Buschy points out a cow and calf grazing away from us.

Given the size of our group, it didn't take long for the elk to see us. To the left was a big bull standing in some shade looking our way.

He posed for a minute while I glassed him at 65 yards. By far the biggest bull I have seen since arriving here. We all froze, but the cow and calf eventually tired of our presence and trotted off, taking the bull with them. That was a half hour ago, at 3:15.

Good news is that they didn't seem spooked and I think we will be able to get on them yet this evening. Great wind for an approach and elk sign eveywhere.

Wow, that one was a lunker. I am shooting that one with an early rifle tag, let alone an archery tag.

We are standing down for a few minutes to let things calm and then we will be back after them. Wish us luck.

big elk

Hey there Busch I know what your range is so lay one of those big boys on its side. Good luck and have some more fun.

Back