AZ Antelope - Friends helping friends

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to have been absent from Hunt Talk for the last week or so, but it has been for good reason. Joining some great friends to film and Arizona rifle pronghorn tag qualifies as excusable absence. We wrapped up filming today and thought I would provide the blow by blow account from the motel tonight.

Many of you have seen Jerry Pritchard in our TV episodes. Jerry is the lucky tagholder for this hunt. Jerry was a long-time AZ resident after leaving our little berg of Big Falls, MN. We have been roommates, best man in each other’s wedding, escapees from a Mexican jail, and hunting buddies whenever time and opportunity allow.

A few years ago, I posted a thread where Jerry shot a great buck on the Sheldon Antelope Range of northern Nevada. Whenever invited, I try to help him on his hunts, but as most know, when antelope is involved, odds are I will clear my schedule and be there a few days early. Here is a pic of the buck he took on that hunt. That was where the bar was set for this AZ tag.

IMG_5368.JPG

Also joining us was another person you have seen on other episodes, NVLongbow, another co-conspirator from our early pre-marriage days of havoc and debauchery. Now, being of greater age and wisdom, we spend our time hunting together, rather than the activities that usually had us on a collision course with a calamity of varying degrees of physical and financial damage.

Most of our AZ hunts are blessed with the company of one of Jerry’s closest buddies, Wade Zarlingo, and this hunt would be no exception. Wade is always smiling, always willing to do anything that needs attention, and his hunting talent equals his modest of such. Wade is an AZ resident, so his travel to the area was of less logistical challenge and allowed him to come and look over the unit a couple weeks prior to the hunt.

Before moving to NV, while still an AZ resident, Jerry was smart enough to buy a lifetime license. For many who don’t know, if you buy an AZ lifetime license, you are not subject to the 10% non-resident cap, even if you move away and someday become a non-resident. Thus, Jerry’s odds of drawing an antelope tag were far better than for most of us other non-residents.

Jerry came down five days early to scout. Scott and I joined him a couple days later, with Wade coming the day before. Great fun, visiting, laughing about the stupid things we did as youngsters, all the while searching the monsoon-drenched grasslands for a buck Jerry might like. When I showed up, the monsoons were in full force. The first afternoon had me sitting out two hours of torrential rains that had me thinking I maybe should have brought my inflatable raft for this hunt. Every road was drenched with deep pools of standing water. I was hoping Jerry did not have a waterhole strategy in mind for this hunt, as I was looking at a mile long waterhole in the form of the road that would take me to the agreed-upon meeting location.

Jerry’s first two days covered a lot of ground and by the time we arrived, he had eliminated a lot of places that had been in prior consideration. Following a very wet first day, the next two days prior to the hunt were mixed clouds with afternoon thunderstorms, allowing us access to the few remaining places Jerry wanted to focus on.

Antelope densities are very low in this unit, compared to most places I have hunted. I can see why it not one of the “glory units” with this low population density, but when I see the average quality, I wonder why it is an under-the-radar unit. With this low density, it required covering a ton of ground. You could go miles without encountering any antelope, then find a little pocket that held a herd or two, then go more miles without a sighting.

By the final day of scouting, we had pretty much narrowed it down. Jerry had found two bucks he thought would fit the bill of what he wanted. Fortunately for us, they were both operating within the six square miles that made up this basin. Unfortunately, the basin was one really big grassland with no trees, no cover, and hardly anything for which to use as cover while making a stalk. One asset was that a small knob rose above these plains, giving us great visibility, although the glassing distances from that knob made it pretty tough to identify quality and size; almost impossible once the heat waves started bouncing off the flats.

Opening morning was filled with great anticipation of shooting one of the two good bucks Jerry had spotted and considered candidates for this hunt. As the sun broke the horizon, no bucks were anywhere near where they had been seen the evening before. All who have spent a sleepless night wondering about the morning location of a critter they want to shoot knows the disappointment that can come with the creeping daylight and eroding hope of all that was dreamed of the night before.

Wade and Scott had found a large group of antelope on the ridge that forms the west side of this basin Jerry and I were set up with the camera hanging with us. These pronghorn seemed pretty comfortable, but from our position, positive ID of size was nearly impossible. After talking to Scott and Wade, Jerry thought it worth a closer look, having been provided with descriptions that fit one of the suspects Jerry had shadowed from afar the day before.

With that, the plan was crafted. Scott and Wade would watch the group as we made a stalk. In short order, me and Bessy the Moo Cow were leading interference for Jerry and Brad (camera man). As is often the case, we were within about 600 yards when Jerry tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to my Two O’Clock angle. Three does were there, with one standing to watch us and two still bedded. I was focused on keeping the cow decoy in front of us as we moved straight west and now having these three antelope to our NW made it hard for me to provide cover for our position. If I moved to hide from these does, I would expose us to the bigger group straight ahead. So, we just stayed put and played a gay of chicken.

After about five minutes, one of the does got uncomfortable enough to trot off. With her went the rest of the gang. Lucky for us, they didn’t go far before slowing down, then grazing toward the bigger group with no remaining concern of our presence. Whew, a close call.

I had been carrying my spotter and tripod to this point. We stopped behind Bessy and I set up the spotter for Jerry to take a close look. Before I could get things set up, we heard a side-by-side driving up the two track we had taken to get here. They stopped next to our parked truck and glassed us.

Jerry thought the buck looked great from the front, but was not sure of the side view. The prongs were very high on the horn, as was the buck he watched so closely the day before, but it seemed to lack the mass he expected to see. When the buck would turn toward us, the meter would tilt toward “Shoot ‘em.” When he turned sideways, the meter came back to rest in the “Not sure” setting.

I told Jerry I thought we could get closer and he could make a more informed decision. With that, I grabbed the spotter and we moved Bessy slowly up this slightly inclined ridge, giving cover to the clumbsiness this band of three people and all our gear represented. Anyone who is skeptic of how well a cow decoy will cover your movement, probably will be less skeptical after watching this episode.

As we started forward, we heard the ATV fire up and start moving off. They moved south a couple hundred yards and stopped again to glass us and the buck. We were now about 400 yards off and had stopped for closer inspection when we heard the ATV creeping up behind us and to the south. A small two track traversed along this small ridge, probably three hundred yards south of where the herd was grazing. No way these guys would drive up that road after spending so much time watching us move in on these antelope. Well, I have a tendency to overestimate the decency and consideration some people will demonstrate when hunting on public land. In this case, my estimate was way off.

These guys moved along the path just to our south, put-putting along while the passenger glassed us and the herd. They were now within about 500 yards, SW of the group, and almost straight south of us. The spotter told Jerry this buck was close to what he was looking for, but more inspection would be needed. Yet, with the herd at full alert and looking at the guys on the ATV, Jerry was not getting the look he needed.

Finally, the ATV decided to move closer. Then stopping to glass across the hood of their machine at a distance about the same as we were. Having had enough, the lead doe decided to move off to the NW, taking the buck with her and the ATV trolling slowly behind them. Jerry commented that some things are not supposed to be. I had more choice words than Jerry used and I can assure you that they will not be fit for TV. Whether Jerry intended to shoot the buck, or not, these asses knew what we were up to, yet decided to hurry in and screw up any opportunity we might have had. Not sure what brings out this kind of behavior in some people, but it is hard to not wish ill will upon them.

We turned and started back to the truck, cursing/cussing the situation. We took solace in the fact that if it was a buck that you had to talk yourself into, it was not a buck to shoot on opening morning. And, that we had many more days to investigate the other corners of this unit.

The remainder of the day was spent with all of us going to opposite corners of the basin, looking into every little fold and draw that might hold one of the two bucks Jerry was interested in. We found plenty of antelope, some previously unseen, and some regulars. None of them fit the description Jerry had provided of the two he wanted. All of us reported back to Jerry with pics or descriptions of bucks we had seen. None seemed to raise his interest enough to get him on the stalk.

With the sun setting, we compared notes and agreed that a lot of new places and new faces had been discovered in our extensive canvasing of this section of the unit. Though no “Shoot now” bucks were found, it was hard to not be excited about what the next days could hold.

DSCN0486-001.JPG

After a very short night of sleep, we were back out on these ridges and knobs awaiting sunrise. Amazes me how many hunters don’t show up until well after the sun is up. We had the entire basin to ourselves. Wade and I moved up a ridge that gives a panoramic view worthy of the bouncy ride to get there. Scott had moved way north, with Jerry and Brad having set up where Jerry had glassed the two good bucks two days prior.

At first light, a really good buck chased his does a few hundred yards past Wade and me. He was almost oblivious to our set up, but his does were more cautious. I still am not sure if he was really good, or if I was just trying to talk myself into voting for him as the tag holder. Really good low mass and prongs. I wondered if the upper mass was weak, or just looked weak due to great lower mass. Either way, I decided if I was not sure, there was no way I was going to cast a vote for Jerry to shoot this buck.

Pronghorn were popping up all around the basin. None I glassed had the look of a sure shooter. Jerry and Scott were seeing their share, but none seemed like the one Jerry had on the list.

Wade was watching a herd on the ridge a mile and a half to our west. He asked me to put the big spotter on the herd. When I did, a really nice buck was trying to keep all others from his sizeable herd. Out of the scattered PJ behind this group came another buck who was keeping court over a doe and her fawn.

First look at this newcomer was “Holy crap.” Always a good sign. I put the spotter on him and thought he looked like the high-pronged buck Jerry had described. I asked Wade to take a look and see what he thought. He agreed, this was an exceptional buck.

This new buck was chasing his doe like crazy. He never did stop long enough or in open enough cover to allow a great look, assuming a great look can be made from a mile and a quarter. Yet, no matter the angle or the light, he just seemed to be a notch or two above anything we had seen to this point.

Wade and I continued to monitor the gathering of antelope on this ridge to our west. We looked around the rest of the basin, but as more and more bucks accumulated, it became obvious that this small rise in the basin was where the action would be on this morning.

After a couple more hours of glassing, talking, and comparing notes and ideas, a plan was underway. Scott and Wade would stay where Wade and I had glassed the bucks this morning. Jerry and I would take the camera to confirm if this buck is what we though he was. From his position Jerry had caught glimpses and stated that if his first impressions were verified, he would be shooting at this buck.

With that, we were off by 10am. It was about a two mile drive to get north of these antelope and allow us to get to the back side of this north-south ridge. Once here, we were probably a mile north of where we had last seen them. A great little drainage would give great cover as we proceeded south, hopefully coming up to the ridge crest SW of where the herd was hanging out.

Starting NW of the herd, then looping way south to get SW of them would be about a mile and half jaunt. Yet, it would allow us to pop up right above them if all went according to plan. Well worth the effort to get there.

It was about noon when we were working our way to the head of this little drainage when the monsoon season started to have some say in this stalk. The lightning was starting to flash a few miles south of us, with the thunder growling a while later. All how know my hatred of lightning understand how unsettling this is for me – being on high ground, having little cover, and lighting coming our way.

With one eye on the black clouds and one eye pointing our path ahead, I followed the plan to get on top of this ridge and peek over in hopes of seeing these bucks below us. When we get to the ridge crest, the lighting is getting real close. I tell the guys that no buck is worth getting toasted. I dropped Bessy and retreated down to a low spot back from where we had come. Jerry and Brad agreed with my plan and followed me down to this little clearing below the ridge.

About three minutes later, the air was cooling fast. A few rain drops announced the storm, followed by some cracks of thunder that by my count of 5 seconds per mile, were about a mile or two away. Good call to head off the ridge. Even better idea once the rain started pelting us hard and in the middle of it a flash of lightning was announced by the crack of thunder about one second later. A boom that you not only heard, but felt.

We sat squatted thirty yards apart, letting the rain have its way with us. I could care less about the rain, so long as the lightning got the hell out of here. As quickly as the storm came, it moved on to torment any other hunters who might be north of us.

I am sure Wade and Scott were wondering what was taking us so long to appear on the ridge, but I later learned that they had retreated to the cover of Wade’s truck when the lightning show arrived. It was about One O’clock by the time we finally got to the place we wanted, hoping to come out right above the pronghorn.

I looked at the GPS and wondered if maybe we had come too far south. We peaked over the knoll that let us look across the crest of the ridge and saw nothing. We retreated back behind the cover of this ridge and moved back north.

Five hundred yards further north, the ridge flattened out and we had little benefit of the crest to help us hide. I put Bessy in full display as we marched further north, to the location we guessed them to be. Simultaneously, Jerry tapped me and Brad whispered to stop. To our right was a doe looking at us at about 300 yards. I turned Bessy to step in front of the crew, giving us more cover.

We started glassing and discovered many sets of ears popping up above the grass. Soon, a set of tall black horn walked into view. Even without the aid of binos, I could see height on this buck. Not only tall, but a huge inside hook. Jerry was whispering in a very excited tone how this buck would look good with his tag.

I moved us forward, drove Bessy’s stake legs in the rain-softened sand, and had Jerry unsnap the spotter and tripod from my Longbow pack. I set up the spotter. Yup. A really good buck. I nodded to Jerry to take a long look.

With the sincerity of a nuclear attack, Jerry looked at me and said, “I should shoot that buck.” The tone and manner in which he said it had me laughing so hard. Strange to be in such a serious situation, with so much effort invested in the week that lead to this point, only to have me laughing so hard. Sorry Jerry, but it was really funny.

Now, some smaller bucks had moved to the herd and had a few of the does up displaying their wares and seeking affection; or at a minimum, trying to get the big guy jealous. The big guy stood up and gave us the straight away view. Further confirmation of a good buck. He then trotted around the herd, trying to intimidate the smaller guys. Feeling comfortable with this status as “The man,” he returned to his bed and laid back down.

A small rise of grass made it hard to shoot from here. The grass was too high for the bipod. The range to the bush right next to this buck was 300 yards. Jerry was locking and loading. Brad was set up and gave us the thumbs up.

With no bipod option, I pointed my spotting scope straight down on the tripod, forming a shooting cradle with the viewfinder of my spotter and the handle of the tripod head. Jerry put the rifle in that crotch, and though it was still not perfect, was much better than any off-hand option.

Now, all the antelope were bedded. They were looking very relaxed. Given that, I suggested to Jerry that we move Bessy forward and try to cut another 50 yards. In short order, we were at 250. All members are still bedded. OK, I guess we will take any yardage you will give us, so I pull Bessy’s takes and we move forward further.

Now, the scattered herd is getting curious, as I cannot hold the proper profile that allows a two-dimensional decoy to satisfy the worries of the entire herd. A few of the does are now standing and looking at us. I range the bush – 224 yards. This is getting better.

I ask Jerry if he is still interested in the buck. In excitement and the slowly creeping time this is taking, Jerry provides another funny answer that can be paraphrased with “Hell Yes, get out of the way so I can shoot.”

I look back at Brad and he is still good to roll. I tell Jerry to get the CDS dials set and get on the modified shooting sticks. Once he is ready, I will move to the side with Bessy, thereby providing enough reveal for him to have an open shot.

Jerry is set and the buck turn broadside, facing right. I move the decoy out of the way, revealing only Jerry while I film him from a side angle. The buck turns toward us. Dang it, or some more colorful explatives are spoke by both of us. A small buck to our left starts walking away, causing the big buck to look his direction, now putting him in a position of almost broadside-left face, with a slight quarter to us.

As I get the camera focused on Jerry, he is settling in to the shooting setup. I barely get focused when the trigger is pulled. I have no idea if the buck is hit, as I was watching Jerry through the camera view finder. I look up and the herd is moving off while the buck is walking around as if “Hey, what the hell is going on here.”

Jerry is trying to get settled for a follow up shot, but the buck will not stand still. They are moving off with the buck lingering behind. Jerry is getting frustrated. Seeing how far out they have moved, I drop the DSLR and take a range. Jerry resets the dials and shoots again. I lose track of what is going on while I try to get my binos on the buck. He is not doing well. Somewhere in this chaos, I am sure he is hit.

The herd takes a straight west vector. The buck slowly moves straight north, away from us. He is away from his hard-earned harem and moving further apart. Not normal behavior. I tell Jerry I am sure he is hit. We take a mark of where he last disappeared and easily find his track in the rain-softened dirt.

Within a couple hundred yards of following tracks, blood starts showing up in small specks. We follow the tracks into a little cut and find a big pool of blood where he had bedded. We are getting closer, but the tracks show he is moving again. He takes us into some small canyons, then up some small ridges, across some flats, around the edge of a big canyon.

Finally, we see him laying with his head down. Congratulations are in order. We start walking up and the buck raises his head and tries to flee. Jerry sets up the bipod, dials to 140 yards, and when the rifle fires, his hunt is over.

I am whooping and hollering. Jerry is just standing there thinking about all that just happened. I give him a minute to himself and the buck while Brad and I congratulate each other on a hard day’s hunt and a plan where all things finally came together.

I will let Jerry weigh in on what this hunt meant to him. To me, spending a great hunt with such great friends, where I get to be on the giving end of the help, rather than the receiving end, is a week I will remember forever. It rekindles the value of true friends and how much pleasure comes from sharing experiences with them, to the point where their success gives you as much satisfaction as if it was your own tag getting filled.

After all these words, I suspect you will agree that Jerry's decision to shoot this buck was a good decision. Thanks to all who helped. Thanks to Jerry for letting us tag along on what will probably be his only Arizona antelope tag. We will do our best to tell this remarkable story with all the passion is deserves.

A great guy with his great buck.
IMG_1558-001.JPG

Friends for 48 years sharing a hunt that will last forever.
IMG_1560-001.JPG

Left to right - Brad, Scott, Wade, and Jerry.
IMG_1579-001.JPG

Long horn is 17" and the other is 16.75". Jerry wanted a tall buck. I think he got it. ;)

A couple more pics from this trip.

Arizona has some of the coolest sunsets/sunrises.
DSCN0528-001.JPG

Jerry and Brad taking advantage of some shade while keeping an eye on Mr. Big.
IMG_1505.JPG

No reason I shouldn't find some of my own shade.
IMG_1506.JPG

Brad doing some camera maintenance, a constant battle in the dust, rain, weather.
IMG_1520.JPG

Wow, great looking buck. Congrats to Jerry and crew! Thanks for the blow-by-blow.

Some antelope pics, most of them taken from over 1,000 yards, so I apologize for the graininess.

Prongs anyone?
DSCN0569.JPG

Not the biggest buck, but the toughest guy around and he has the girls to show for it.
DSCN0551.JPG

Mass in spades.
DSCN0540.JPG

Tall and skinny. High prongs.
DSCN0509.JPG

Great mass. Give this guy another year or two.
DSCN0490.JPG

A successful hunt is rewarding --- a successful hunt with long-time friends is frosting on the cake! Congrats to Jerry for 1st pulling the tag, and for then pulling the trigger. Awesome pronghorn!

So cool how everything is so green after all the rain. Glad we didn't read about you guys stuck up to the axles! And I never tire looking at our beautiful skies at sunrise/sunset (thanks for the great photos!) ...

Great looking buck and certainly worthy of an AZ tag. Glad the epic encounter with those idiots on the atv
didn't ruin your hunt. I would have been walking straight over to them to ask for a pretty bloody good explanation rather then heading back to the truck.
Alls well the ends well I suppose and you guys did good.

Great buck! Congrats to everyone. I'd love to find his twin next week, but will settle for a younger brother. ;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back