Yeti GOBOX Collection

AZ Antelope - Friends helping friends

Hunt Talk friends,

It goes without saying how much gratitude I have for Randy, Wade, Scott and Brad. Absolutely could not have done it without them. I am pretty pleased with the end result. I owe you guys.

I would be remiss if I did not reflect on how disappointed I was with myself for missing the first shot. I was then more disappointed with myself for not placing a killing shot when I first hit that antelope. It makes the result somewhat bittersweet to have to track a magnificent animal like this for a considerable distance.

That said, here is my take away for others. My father (and I'll bet your father) always said to make the first shot count. I did not in this case. The combination of excitement, frustration and then near panic all plays a role in subsequent shots. If I had to do this one again, I would have opted for a better rest that was more comfortable for my shooting style. I know there was a trophy buck there, but I should have perhaps been more patient. Something I will reflect on and try to learn from. Hope you can as well.

Thanks Randy for the always fantastic story line. The emotional roller coaster I had with this hunt will be something always etched in my mind and it is what makes hunting the most rewarding and challenging part of who I am. We can always learn and get better. When you are able to finish the job, even when it was not perfect, the end was meant to be so that you can share your experiences with others and become a better hunter yourself. Thanks for being there Randy, Wade, Scott and Brad.

Jerry, I think you are being a little hard on yourself as to your first shot.

Let's see, you are left handed and a TV show requires you shoot the rifle set up by the host, so you end up having to shoot one of my right handed guns. Your rifle has a single stage trigger and I give you one with a two stage trigger. Your natural shooting position requires the scope to be set pretty far back for proper eye relief, me not so much and thus my rifles/scopes are set accordingly. We practiced mostly for a bipod setup, thinking we would be able to shoot over most of the vegetation and at the last minute you are asked to shoot from a makeshift setup I cobbled together by raising my spotting scope tripod and building a pocket for the rifle. We moved you about four times prior to the shot, so the camera angle would be unobstructed. The buck stood and bedded three different times, also turning a couple times you were ready to shoot. You had two cameras on you and you had to wait for clearance from both.

Not sure we have ever put a guest hunter under more duress than what you experienced. And is why our filming is pretty much confined to great friends who are as dedicated to this project as you have demonstrated.

I suspect few of us would have our normal level of accuracy under those conditions. Be proud of what you accomplished under the fire drill you were subjected to. Once you had a chance to make the finishing shot at 140 yards, you put it where it needed to be. Any who have been filmed for our show knows the added pressure all of this brings to the critical moment.

Nothing like a few good bulls to add some interest to each day. Every day we saw at least one bull that was over 300" and some well over 300". I might have to try the elk draw in that unit. And before you ask, the unit will remain unnamed.

DSCN0483.JPG

Excellent hunt! I am amazed at how big some of those antelope are. The ones in ID are little guys compared some of those. Sounds like a great buck to get for possibly his only one in AZ.

Thoroughly enjoyed the read and can't wait to watch that episode. Sounds like a good ole' fashioned goat-roping with the ATV guys and all. Oh, and that buck, good gracious! Congratulations to your buddy.

Congrats on the successful hunt and the awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing and looks like another good episode coming in the future.

Beautiful buck. Congrats to everyone involved. There's definitely something wrong with you if that doesn't get you excited about antelope hunting.

Great stuff Randy.
Some of us are stuck at home, and these live hunts are as close as we can get, so please keep em coming !
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bowhunter3303
Back