Awesome Family Weekend!!!

thecrittergitter

Well, I must say, i thought my season was complete after seeing ol Dan crack down a nice whitey buck, a 6x6 bull elk, and a nice fat bison. But my 6 yr old was just on my case all year about wanting to go elk hunting so I just said the heck with it, i'm throwing in the towel for hunting big bulls, i'm just gonna go out with my son and my dad and call it a nice family outing. I had set my alarm for 6 am and by 5 am that kid was already dressed in his camo and bouncing off the walls. :D It was going to be a great day, even if we didn't see an elk, just to be taking my son out elk hunting on my old stompin grounds where my dad tought me to hunt elk. So off we went, three generations of crittergitters;) Dad, me, and Braden. 15 minutes after light, I couldn't believe we were gonna actually get a chance at an elk with braden along. I picked one out of the bunch and put the thump on her. Pretty friggin cool on Thanksgiving day to have my dad and my son along with me for this yummy ol freezer cow. Only problem now, is he is hooked! He was cow calling after i shot with his voice and believe it or not, all the elk went back to feeding. He was loving it!

Attachments

• Matt Elk 1.jpg
    Matt Elk 1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 572
  • Matt Elk 3.jpg
    Matt Elk 3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 573
And because i'm not smart enough to write text between pictures, I'm just doing it this way:D The next day, we decided to go make the same plan in case a nice whitetail buck would show his face or maybe a nicer bull would have joined all the elk. Well, We were just getting out in front of the moving elk when this buck made the wrong move. Now, before i get reprimanded for shooting a young buck (which i normally would not have shot this deer), it was all about being able to make it happen with my son and dad there. So once again, i pummeled the buck and the first thing my son says is ......"I wanna gut it dad!" So , I figured what the heck, no better time than now to teach the young one how to do the guttin! What an awesome weekend teaching my son to hunt on the same hillside my dad tought me. Very cool.

Big bulls are gonna have to wait till next year.......

Attachments

• My 2011 MT buck.jpg
    My 2011 MT buck.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 572
  • Me, Papa, Braden.jpg
    Me, Papa, Braden.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 562
  • Gut Lesson 1.jpg
    Gut Lesson 1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 571
  • Gut Lesson 2.jpg
    Gut Lesson 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 565
  • Braden Heart.jpg
    Braden Heart.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 564
Awesome pics, I love to see the young ones out there enjoying the woods. Your pics bring back fond memories, I can remember when I asked my dad if I could gut one of his deer. Again congrats on a awesome year.

Is that your son counting his fingers before he gets too close to you holding the knife? Congratulations on a great family hunt.

Critter I think you got this hunting thing figured out LOL. Great job looks like all of you haad a great time.

Nice job, Matt. What a great family outing! Now you may have to slow down a bit hunting the big bulls, since you will have a shorter-legged sidekick on your tail.

Coincidentally, I started taking my son hunting when he was six ... now he's 37 and a fanatic hunter, with a license plate that reads "huntmax".

Congrats and enjoy those three-generation fun times.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back