atv/utv horn install?

Sytes

Finished the other street legal items though stuck on this horn deal. Searched for a YouTube how to - to no avail. I have the button, wire and horn. So I figure run 1 wire from a 10-15amp fuse to the button, from there run 2 wires to the horn mounted on the frame for the ground?

I'm in search for a dummy guide...

If from the fuse box, how do I attach the wire? and am I able to share a fuse that is assugned to another device?

It would be better to run a hot wire direct from the battery with a fuse link to the button and from the button to the horn. You should also run a ground from the battery to the horn. Depending on atv manufacturer there may be a hot wire available for use elsewhere. Check you owners manual.

Horn hook-up...

So what you actually need to do, is take power from whatever source is readily available,( I suggest ignition switched), make sure you have an inline fuse and run battery power to the horn itself. (Horn should be marked positive and negative). Then run a good ground to the switch,(I suggest right from the battery negative), and from the switch to the horn. That is how most horns are wired, better to switch ground than power. Hope this helps....:)

Jbo

Haha! :p

I actually looked at a simple hand tootin horn though Montana requires an electric operated horn capable to identify from at least 200 ft.
6. Horn -- all boxes must be checked
Cannot be unreasonably loud, harsh sounding or a whistle
Appears to be audible from a distance of at least 200 feet
Constructed so as to be controlled by driver
Electronic

HornWiring.gif

Cheers woodsman and jbozahunter. I'll give that a shot with an inline fuse (what amp - 15?) Using that diagram, where does the fuse go? From the battery to the horn or horn to switch? So if I understand, the horn sounds when the switch connects to the negative? Also, the ground... is it adaquate simply mounting the horn to the utv frame or do I still need to run a ground wire to some central ground source? I'm a rookie, so if it makes no sense... try nursery rhymes. :D

Last edited:
Horn...

The fuse should go between your power source, ie: battery, and the horn itself. Like I said, if you have a test lamp, and can find a wire that has power only when ignition switch is in the "on" position, that is a better choice, no chance of accidental battery drain. You can mount the horn anywhere you like, my advice is keep it away from water, mud, etc. as much as possible, higher up the better, always put mine under a rack if possible, gives them protection. The horn will only sound when the switch is depressed, as that is what supplies the ground.

Jbo

Oh, and yes 15 amp fuse will be fine, make sure you use one that's moisture resistant, and use dialectric grease.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back