Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bison follow up

ccc23454

So i cant find previous bison thread, hell maybe i didn't do one but wanted to follow-up on it. So in 2021 i shot a Bison in the Beartooths, my dream animal and since i was a kid a animal that always had some special appeal. When i drew tag i was scouting couple days later and immediately started working out details. One of those details was with my taxidermist, we formulated a plan for after the kill and i think he half believed i wouldnt pull it off. So fast forward to september i text him got my bull and he is holy shat big will be by in morning to get him into your freezer. He takes measurements to order form and does a rough scoring job on him that has him making B&C. So fast forward more than a year and do to supply chain issues we finally get the body form and chemicals to make the replica horns for the mount. Meanwhile bull gets offically scored and entered in the books and the state aging data is avaliable and he is a whooping 16.5 years old! The second oldest bull killed one was 17.5, most in data are only 5 or 6 so i was super happy to have killed amongest most mature animal avaliable. My taxi is making replica horns for the pedastel mount i am doing and they look amazing as he made forms from my bulls horns and the plastic shows every detail to point you cant tell difference other than weight and slight color(paint slightly). So today brought home the euro and hung it with real horns above my flireplace so it will be part of holiday at my house. Excited to see how the finished mount turns out as this taxi has done a bunch of bison and expect it to show up in finished product. I will be building the pedestal so it fits room like i want it to. The form is 44" to top of shoulder so its going to massive when he adds that thick hide. Wanted to share as i am excited and feel like i am getting a Christmas present early. Will add pics as mount is completed and pedestal is built and ultimately mounted to bull.
Left is real horn, right is replica only difference is replica is darker and thats easy to adjust.24420.jpeg19969~4.jpegIMG_20221219_095547.jpgIMG_20221219_124124.jpg

I cast a replica horn to replace one that was stolen from the mountain goat my late sister-in-law's father shot back in the fifties. Used the remaining horn to make a soft mold with some silicone stuff we ordered. Turned out perfect. The materials are expensive and it must have required a case of it to do up that bull. Will you be getting the molds back? You are paying for them so perhaps you should? Or work a deal with the taxidermist so he can use the molds to make more replicas for sale. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Awesome. Who did the taxi work?
Jason housel @ Sulpher Creek taxidermy. Hes on south fork just outside of cody and does amazing work at fair prices. He also is a disabled vet and one hell of a quality guy. If anyone needs a taxi in NW wyoming or a guy who has done a lot of bison he is who i recommend.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back