Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

You'll need to ensure that the iPad you do get has a GPS receiver in it as some of the older models do not have that. If it does not have that then you could still download maps on wifi but it would not show your location while you are out in the field, if it does have it then you are good to go!
So does this mean I would need an iPad that is cellular capable or just WiFi capable?

As noted, the devise needs an internal gps and either cell service or WiFi.
I used onx on a phone that was incapable of connecting to a service provider, only WiFi at my house, and it worked flawlessly in the woods.

But does only having WiFi for that purpose not allow you to use it for your location?

The iPad has to have cellular capability to have gps. For some reason they don't include a GPS receiver on the wifi only models. A company called bad elf makes a GPS receiver that plugs into the lightning port for about $100.

The iPad has to have cellular capability to have gps. For some reason they don't include a GPS receiver on the wifi only models. A company called bad elf makes a GPS receiver that plugs into the lightning port for about $100.

Is there any sort of fee to use that gps that plugs into the port? Have you used it? So by needing an iPad with cellular capabilites does that mean one would need a separate data plan to use the built in gps on those respective iPads?

Is there any sort of fee to use that gps that plugs into the port? Have you used it? So by needing an iPad with cellular capabilites does that mean one would need a separate data plan to use the built in gps on those respective iPads?
gps doesn't use data. It just receives signal from the satellites. Same as your phone in airplane mode.

@onX Hunt

I'm looking at a unit here in WA state and for some reason it's the only unit in I've encountered that 0 private land properties show up, any thoughts on what's going on? Neighboring units all show private prop lines but this one shows nothing.

1586358658881.png

If you buy an iPad from Apple for stated price you do not have to activate a cellular. If you buy one at a carrier-subsidized price you do.

I would also check on specific models, for some reason I think one of the mini-pads had GPS even if not cellular.

You can also buy a used cellular ipad from craig's list or ebay.

@onxhunt

Having trouble seeing a waypoint on phone when someone sends it via text. Any pointers on how to see it. Clicking the link pulls up onx but cannot see the waypoint.

EDIT: Don’t mind me, I was clicking on the link below the logo, didn’t realize the logo was a link as well. I figured it out

Last edited:
@onX Hunt

I'm looking at a unit here in WA state and for some reason it's the only unit in I've encountered that 0 private land properties show up, any thoughts on what's going on? Neighboring units all show private prop lines but this one shows nothing.

View attachment 135175
You are likely looking at Whitman county. Unfortunately Whitman county does not have their records in a digitized format for us to work with so we are unable to obtain any private land information from them to put in the app. We are hoping they update their system at some point but until they do, we will only be able to provide public land and other layer information for that area.

@onX Hunt
It would be awesome to have a feature where the user could select an entire unit to save as an “off-line” map vs the current 5/10/150 mile perfect rectangle selection. Any chance that could happen?
We're looking at additional options for saving maps for offline use so I will pass your feedback along to our team as that is one option we are looking at.

You are likely looking at Whitman county. Unfortunately Whitman county does not have their records in a digitized format for us to work with so we are unable to obtain any private land information from them to put in the app. We are hoping they update their system at some point but until they do, we will only be able to provide public land and other layer information for that area.

Thanks for the feedback!!

More of a suggestion than a question-

Something that would be super useful for me, especially on the browser app, would be the ability to enter a date and either only display open roads, or show the closed roads a different color. My areas are littered with seasonal designations, and it's hard to get a feel for what roads are/aren't open on a broad scale, without clicking on each road and constantly double checking the MVUM and making sure I have the right roads highlighted.

In messing around with the off road app, I see where you have some seasonal roads a different color, so maybe that's a direction you're headed towards.

That is how the MVUM is on the hunt app for some of the main areas I spend time. It looks like some of the areas in NW MT have it as well. But still quite a few areas I look at that don't have that info.

Yesterday I tried using the track feature which I’ve never had a problem with. When I looked down at my phone mid day I was surprised at how much distance and how fast I covered A LOT of ground. I ended the track and tried starting another one twice and both times had similar problems. My friend was in the same general area and his worked fine. Do you know what may be causing the crazy inaccuracy of the gps track? It always correctly showed where I was.C1F14A3B-814D-45C4-B911-CD46D1CCBE4B.png9E8CF216-6D58-4AB8-AFAE-43B2D231F420.pngC1F14A3B-814D-45C4-B911-CD46D1CCBE4B.png9E8CF216-6D58-4AB8-AFAE-43B2D231F420.pngC1F14A3B-814D-45C4-B911-CD46D1CCBE4B.png9E8CF216-6D58-4AB8-AFAE-43B2D231F420.png

bought the 1 year elite membership of camofire today. If I use the code bei g. ail to me before my current subscription that I buy through ios subscription and billd through apple will ot tack n the extra year or should I wait till current plan expires before buying this?

Would rather add now so I do not have to keep track of the card they will send with a discount code on it

bought the 1 year elite membership of camofire today. If I use the code bei g. ail to me before my current subscription that I buy through ios subscription and billd through apple will ot tack n the extra year or should I wait till current plan expires before buying this?

Would rather add now so I do not have to keep track of the card they will send with a discount code on it

You will want to wait until your current membership expires to redeem that code. Unfortunately the system is unable to recognize and add time so it would technically start a new membership when you redeem it so any overlapping time would be lost.

Yesterday I tried using the track feature which I’ve never had a problem with. When I looked down at my phone mid day I was surprised at how much distance and how fast I covered A LOT of ground. I ended the track and tried starting another one twice and both times had similar problems. My friend was in the same general area and his worked fine. Do you know what may be causing the crazy inaccuracy of the gps track? It always correctly showed where I was.

That would come down to the GPS in your phone having issues pinpointing your location. If this does happen, go into the Location Services of your device, turn them off for 30 seconds, then turn them back on to refresh them and try again.

Back