Ask an Aussie Hunter any question!

I have a desire to go on a "traditional" horse and hound fox hunt in Ireland.
A quick search came up with this https://www.zarasplanet.com/travel/horse-riding-holidays-ireland-hunting/
It is legal in Ireland, illegal in England, but we all know it still goes on, there are loopholes, some of my good mates go fox and stag hunting on horseback.
But be warned, even in Ireland there exists some really nasty 'anti's' and you could be on the receiving end of some vitriol, they make it their mission in life to disrupt and create havoc during the hunts.
But if you are willing to accept that then you will get a very thrilling ride out.
Cheers
Richard

Thank you both for your replies .

April ( Europe ) has put me in contact with someone called the Galway Blazers in Ireland. Now we wait for the Corona Virus vaccine and we are off. Will have to find a different reason to visit Australia ;)

Will have to find a different reason to visit Australia ;)
No need to travel outside of the US, I have contacted my fox hunting mate, he hunted in the US a few years ago
See https://mfha.com you will get to go on a traditional hunt.
Much better than Googling for an answer isn't it, a personal recommendation based on an actual experience, he loved it and his host then hunted with him in the UK, sorry drag hunted (;)) as it's illegal in the UK to hunt with more than 2 dogs.:eek:

Plenty of other reasons to visit Australia aren't there @S13tsilvia just don't swim in the sea:D

Cheers

Richard

If I wanted to go on a fox hunt in the U.S., I would just go back home to the great state of Texas. They have several clubs throughout the state. I have lived and enjoyed the state of Texas (and have visited Virginia) but have never been to Ireland. I do agree that it was nice to receive information from someone who has actually Fox hunted in Ireland. It is always nice to receive recommendations from someone who has been there and done that.

My apologizes to the OP, as we got away from the initial intent of your thread. I am sure I will find many good reasons to visit your country. I do enjoy fishing and from what I have read you do offer some fishing opportunities.

But lets get back to answering hunting question in Australia. I have read that the Cape Buffalo in Africa is more dangerous than your water buffalo but have no first hand knowledge. Is it dangerous hunting water buffalo in Australia ? ( like it is hunting Cape Buffalo in Africa ? )

If I wanted to go on a fox hunt in the U.S., I would just go back home to the great state of Texas. They have several clubs throughout the state. I have lived and enjoyed the state of Texas (and have visited Virginia) but have never been to Ireland. I do agree that it was nice to receive information from someone who has actually Fox hunted in Ireland. It is always nice to receive recommendations from someone who has been there and done that.
Oh I misunderstood, I made the assumption you weren't aware that you could hunt with hounds in the US, the link I provided does provide traditional hunting in the US, but going back to its creation then yes Ireland/England is the place to go.

Last edited:

My apologizes to the OP, as we got away from the initial intent of your thread. I am sure I will find many good reasons to visit your country. I do enjoy fishing and from what I have read you do offer some fishing opportunities.

But lets get back to answering hunting question in Australia. I have read that the Cape Buffalo in Africa is more dangerous than your water buffalo but have no first hand knowledge. Is it dangerous hunting water buffalo in Australia ? ( like it is hunting Cape Buffalo in Africa ? )
It can be dangerous, we have wildly different terrain, from open swamps to very dense thick country. It depends where you find them and also what you are hunting them with. And how smart or silly you want to be....

Haha i imagine you were in Darwin? they have there own accent. Let's just put it this way.. they talk slower than us southerners !! But they have a lot of good looking back packers that get up there!
We all like to swear lots though 😜

Randi, I heard you made contact and I am happy for you. You will not be disappointed. They run a first class operation. You will have a wonderful time in Ireland. Make sure you schedule enough time to explore the Island after your Fox hunt. And yes P.S. I love you was filmed in Ireland and New York, but there was no Fox hunting in that movie (-;

Water Buffalo vs Cape buffalo. S13tsilvia is correct. Water buffalo can be dangerous. IMHO however, Cape Buffalo ARE dangerous. Cape Buffalo supposedly kill an estimated 200 people a year in Africa. They will definitely stalk and kill a human. Both water and cape should be respected but I would personally be a bit more "anxious" hunting the Cape Buffalo. Australia's salt water crocodiles were not my favorite . Ugly, vicious animals, ( to me anyway )

S13tsilvia, are the "Salties" protected or can you ( do you ) hunt them ?

Say I wanted to plan an archery house cat hunt in 2021. Could you recommend a decent guide service?
Hahaha you don't need a guide just go for a cruise around the street in the evening and you have your choice !! We also have plenty of feral cats getting around the bush

Randi, I heard you made contact and I am happy for you. You will not be disappointed. They run a first class operation. You will have a wonderful time in Ireland. Make sure you schedule enough time to explore the Island after your Fox hunt. And yes P.S. I love you was filmed in Ireland and New York, but there was no Fox hunting in that movie (-;

Water Buffalo vs Cape buffalo. S13tsilvia is correct. Water buffalo can be dangerous. IMHO however, Cape Buffalo ARE dangerous. Cape Buffalo supposedly kill an estimated 200 people a year in Africa. They will definitely stalk and kill a human. Both water and cape should be respected but I would personally be a bit more "anxious" hunting the Cape Buffalo. Australia's salt water crocodiles were not my favorite . Ugly, vicious animals, ( to me anyway )

S13tsilvia, are the "Salties" protected or can you ( do you ) hunt them ?
They are protected unfortunately.. They have been trying to get them allowed for hunting under certain restrictions but have had no luck

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back