Article about Texas Deer Hunting

Washington Hunter

NHY, have you seen this one?

Two cents for the bucks

09:09 PM CST on Saturday, December 3, 2005

Texas deer hunting has changed enormously since I became involved in 1973. Based on calls, letters and e-mails from readers, the changes are not all perceived as positive. I'm as guilty as anyone of emphasizing big bucks, including deer hunted behind high fences and a few that were genetically engineered.

As I talk with deer hunters and landowners across the state, it's obvious everyone has different levels of acceptance for modern whitetail hunting and management trends. What one hunter views as a great development, another considers unacceptable.

Here are six things causing public-relations problems for Texas deer hunting in the 21st century:

6. High fences which restrict the movement of deer from one property to the next. Under Texas law, the game belongs to the people of the state. Why is it legal for a landowner to construct a fence that traps a natural resource owned by every citizen?

If the landowner has a fence that keeps deer from leaving his property and the landowner has the ultimate authority over who hunts the deer there, why not just admit that the landowner also owns the deer? After all, the landowner can charge money for you to hunt on his property.

Texas has huge high-fenced ranches where deer live and die without seeing a fence. Deer in this state are also being hunted on high-fenced properties smaller than 100 acres, and that doesn't help the sportsman's image.

The authority of a Texas landowner to build any fence he wants will never change. High fences are terrific deer management tools to keep unwanted deer out and allow hunters inside the fence to let bucks reach their potential.

I fully understand why landowners build high fences. If I owned a big ranch, I might build a high fence, myself. As surely as they fragment the habitat, game-proof fences fragment the hunting public. That's not good for the future of deer hunting.

5. Genetic engineering of herds by selectively breeding captive deer, then releasing the offspring for hunting. Deer breeders say that deer released from pens quickly revert to a wild state, but Texas A&M professor Bob Brown likens the practice of hunting these animals to hunting skittish cows.

All hunters have a fascination for big-antlered bucks. The bigger the antlers, the greater the fascination. The inarguable success of breeding programs has devalued truly wild deer. A self-made buck that grows antlers scoring 150 B&C points is a terrific trophy. On some ranches these days, a buck that size is considered a cull.

Breeding programs and high fences are transforming our finest game animal into a form of glorified livestock.

4. A state wildlife agency working to give select landowners added authority over native game. The ultimate example is Texas Parks and Wildlife's managed lands deer permits. The MLDP program can be useful to deer managers, but it can also be misused. MLDP gives landowners longer seasons, and the top-level MLDP erases any semblance of an individual bag limit.

The MLDP sets a harvest quota for the entire ranch. If the quota is 100 deer per season, it doesn't matter if 100 hunters each kill one deer or one hunter kills them all. Rather than expanding recreational hunting opportunity, which TP&W claims as a goal, the MLDP program allows hired guns to "cull" deer by the thousands.

Shooting white-tailed deer as if they were coyotes or skunks is not in deer hunting's best interest. It is a measure sanctioned by TP&W.

There is no application fee for an MLDP, and hunters are not required to tag the deer through their hunting license. MLDP tags are provided by TP&W, ostensibly funded by license sales to the general public.

In exchange for the extraordinary benefits of MLDP tags, ranches must perform basic management measures that many would be doing anyway. Now TP&W is attempting to extend the managed-lands program to include quail, turkey, pheasant, prairie chickens and chachalacas.

3. Baiting deer with corn, which has always been legal in Texas. It's hard to argue against baiting as the most productive hunting tactic in a state overrun by deer, but using it has created generations of hunters who don't know much about their favorite game animal.

Texas hunters are adept at setting up an automatic feeder. They know how to position a blind in relation to a feeder so the wind and sun are favorable. They don't know how to scout for deer sign or pattern deer movements. They are largely unfamiliar with deer habits.

Baiting deer is illegal in many states. In Texas, baiting is almost mandatory. A large percentage of hunters hunt on a property small enough that they can only set up one or two blinds. If the neighbors use feeders to attract deer, the only way to be successful is to compete with the neighbors.

2. Too much emphasis on big-antlered bucks. Every town in whitetail country has at least one big-buck contest. There are entire magazines devoted to monster bucks. Deer-hunting success should be more about the experience and less about antler size. Any mature buck taken by fair chase is a good buck.

1. The almighty dollar. The great thing about whitetail hunting 30 years ago was that nobody could buy a B&C-quality buck, no matter how much money they were willing to spend. That was before billionaires discovered deer hunting, and the market responded.

It's not uncommon for a hunter to pay $10,000 to $20,000 to shoot a huge buck genetically engineered and fed a customized diet for six or seven years. Texas bucks have sold for as much as $30,000, probably more. Of course, it's not really legal to sell a wild deer. At least, that's what they say.

Texas deer hunting is a classic case of supply-side economics. Habitat will be preserved for whitetails as long as they are valuable. It's bad news for the hunter who cannot justify the escalating expense.

The bottom line on deer hunting is the fiscal one. The dollar bill became known as a buck in colonial times when a deer skin fetched a dollar. Today, the dollar is worth less – and the deer a lot more.

E-mail [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/d.../stories/120405dnspooutsassercol.23f0442.html

Not this particular one WH, but an amalgam of assorted similar articles. Pretty accurate take on whitetail/cash crop perceptions. Thought the colloquialism "buck" origin interesting and appropriate. One inaccuracy is the amount some people will pay for the super racks...I believe Mr. Sasser's estimates are low. This is where it has evolved and we either deal with it or not hunt.

What is money doing to hunting in your state WH?...or other western states?

Good find by the way.

What has always irked me is what those texans are calling big. The place I hunt hogs on is also a deer operation and the Flat cash price for a 140 class deer is $10,000. sorry but I don't think a 140 class deer is all that big

SRR...Kansas has some very nice whitetails. Are there put & take operations there? If so, what are the trophy fees for a 140 class?

There are are plenty of newbies with money in our metro areas that will shortcut the sport with trophy expectations from a canned operation. They could care less what a guy from Kansas who knows it's B.S.thinks. You are not their target customer.

You used to could get a decent 2 day & night hog hunt for about 150 "bucks"....those days are gone too.

Put and take operations are not legal in this state for big game only upland birds and those must be added a full six months before the shooting season opens.

How about heavy trespass fees? Guess my point is there are hunters out there with the means to pay whatever. Once that benchmark is reached, in any state, it sure ain't coming down. Call it trespass fees, landowner tags, trophy fees...etc.

Down here the land owners have started asking for trespass fees a bit but the state F&G folks have started a 'walk-in' program where the state pays a bit of money taken from license fees) to the landowner in exchange for allow hunters to just walk into the areas marked with out having to ask.

The landowner doesn't have to participate, right? How about the areas of high concentration for superior genetics? Do they not abstain from the F&G remunerated "walk-on" in favor of their own trespass rates.

Back to my first question, What would one of the above mentioned areas charge for the "opportunity" to take a 140 class?

No, the landowner does not have to participate. We don't really have a lot of hunting ranches that do it full time so I don't know just what it would cost to go on that type of hunt here. Normally I go to the F&G and ask what landowners have been complaining about deer in their farmland. The fee usually runs $80 to $100 for a weeks hunting and 140s are doable in those areas.

Damn SRR, I'd keep that to myself & enjoy while it lasts. You're right, it does suck here.

being a small land owner myself I can fully understand a guy wanting to make a buck from that lands use. I have seen some of the operations in texas that really make me scratch my head. I hunted hogs on this one last xmas
http://www.krro.net/www.krro.net/main.htm
It was quite a set up but it rubs me the wrong way when a guy pulls up and says How many deer can I shoot for $10,000 and then spends his time over a feeded

Texas has quite a variety of hunting, this is about the most controversial parts of what's here for sure. I know a guy who hunted near a feeder last year for 18 days to get a south Texas buck that had been seen once near there before the season. Feeders are not what people imagine when they are everywhere. He got him and he was big, but I forgot how big now. He was more than 140, I remember that, because before that deer, 140 was the guy's biggest deer.

I've driven through the west and seen little patches of woods, i.e. cover, near a creek or river. That really concentrates the animals, while feeders spread them out, especially being all over the place.

The deer breeder set up, is an issue for me, the way some people do it. Having one breeder buck putting out all kinds of bucks that look like clones, is not something very interesting to me. It can make pretty bucks, that's for sure. Also, I agree that those MLD permits can be abused, like most anything can be. People get to rifle hunt from Oct. through Feb. that have those. They have to agree to follow the state wildlife biologists recommendations to get them. Some landowners are wildlife biologists themselves, fully capable of managing their land and the wildlife on it, yet, they can only rifle hunt Nov. and Dec. The MLD permits can be sort of a bribe by TPWD for some landowners to follow the TPWD management rules. Then, there's the unlimited killing by the landowner, up to his limits, I"m against that but its the law. I've seen landowners say, well, its just to hard to have public hunts, we don't have a way to manage those people, they mess up the ranch, we don't want them here. TPWD tries to talk the landowner into public hunts or lease hunters on that landowner's land, I've seen that occur, and some do it, but some don't also. They're like game hogs or something, to me, its their land though. I guess if anything would take priority it would be personal ownership rights to their land. That's the way they set it up here, a long time ago. It works pretty good, we now have more hunters and fisher persons in this state than any other state. Ca has more outdoors participant type people if you count bird watcher types too, not just the hunter and fisher people.

The feeder thing always gets the most comments....even from guys who will hunt bear over bait sites or shoot a lion out of a tree. A delicious bear or cougar steak doesn't do it for me either.

Yeah, right. Maybe on a highly restricted private ranch, just like elk are all over private ranches you can go hunt in Montana for $12,000/elk.

I know a guy who put out 500 lbs of corn through his feeder during deer season, hunted it a lot, and never saw a deer standing near it. He had tracks all over the place, the deer just came in at night. That's more like it, in a area with some hunting pressure.

Deer feeders and private ranches are turning deer into a totally nocturnal animal, well perhaps. Also could it be that there just were no deer in the area?

He had deer tracks all over the place, they were there, just at night. They were deer tracks under and around the feeder, probably made by deer in the area, just at times when he didn't see them. Its the hunting pressure that makes them nocturnal, not the feeders. They like the feeders, they don't like the hunters who shoot at them, that's what makes them nocturnal. Hogs get nocturnal too, but its legal to hunt them at night here, there's so many of them. Probably double the hogs, just in this state, as there are elk in the whole country.

Also, the vacuum is here, its just that there's other stuff too, don't you think?

SRR, Tom, that's beside the point. Unless your hunting barefoot, loinclothed, and with a club, it's a debate of degree of advantage. I'd rather habitat hunt exclusively but the reality is: one week in the mountains, the rest of the year making the most of my home area. Broadcast browse or cultivation is how you are going to keep deer on your property.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back