Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Argali victory is final !

Tom

that's an SI issue, solved by SCI.

Tucson, AZ, July 8, 2004 - NEWS RELEASE - A victory that SCI won in the lower courts was locked up yesterday when the Fund for Animals announced their intention to withdraw their appeal of the case.

In a call to SCI’s litigation attorney, Anna Seidman, Fund for Animals said that they were going to file a motion with the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia asking the Court to dismiss their appeal.

The Fund had sued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 2001, challenging the issuance of permits allowing the importation of argali sheep (Marco Polo) trophies from Mongolia, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.

In 2003, SCI and other interveners defeated the Fund’s challenge in U.S. District Court in the District of Columbia. SCI won by persuading the court that the Fund could not prove that argali would benefit if importation into the United States was stopped. Citing SCI’s arguments, U.S. District Court Judge Gladys Kessler acknowledged the conservation benefits of trophy hunting. Shortly after their defeat in the District Court, the Fund for Animals appealed the case to the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.

SCI President John Monson said, “The withdrawal of the appeal means that SCI’s victory is now complete, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service can continue to issue permits for argali trophies.”

Kevin Anderson, the Chairman of SCI’s Legal Task Force, said that, “the opinion should serve as a warning to animal rights groups that SCI will successfully defend the right to hunt.”

SCI Executive Director Tom Riley called this, “another significant victory for hunters nationally and internationally, and for the argali, which will benefit from the funds provided by hunters. SCI, First for Hunters, will continue this type of litigation for hunters and conservation.”

SCI was joined in its efforts by the U. S. Sportsmen’s Alliance. Also successfully intervening and defeating the Fund’s challenge was the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep and other conservation groups and interested individuals.

Safari Club International is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. This chapter driven, nonprofit association is a tireless advocate for the world’s 45 million sportsmen and sportswomen, who, through legal hunting, annually drive more than $1.7 billion in funding to conserve all wild species. For more information, they are having a membership drive and I"ll sign you up.

The record-breaking SCI 32nd Annual Hunters’ Convention hosted more than 17,000 sportsmen from 50 countries. Thanks to over 1,300 top exhibitors helping hunters realize dreams around the globe, and to some 1,100 extraordinary auction items, the Convention raised over $10 million for SCI, the SCI Foundation and SCI-PAC, the political action committee amplifying SCI advocacy efforts for hunters. To register to attend SCI’s 33rd Annual Hunters’ Convention, in Reno Jan. 26-29, 2005.

Anybody see the picture of Boddington and his argali in the most recent issue of Peterson's Hunting? Damn those things are impressive!

Oak

Tom,

You should have brought this to our attention earlier, so we could have supported the Fund for Animals. Why on earth would anybody want to import more animals into the US, when we are doing such a lousy job of providing habitat for the ones already here????

Tom is bringing in dead sheep? Isn't that called Mutton?

Tom,
Why were they suing to import Mutton??? I thought that happened all the time.

I have a hard time beleiving you are this clueless gunner. Seeing how you just got back from Africa this should be a no brainer for you. I have to assume that you are just being an asshole to Tom for the sake of being an asshole :D . The fact that there are no smiley icons next to your comments makes me think this is what is happening.

PS there is nothing wrong with being an asshole. I am not name calling elkgunner. Just pointing out a fact. My momma always told me when you do something do it well. Maybe EG's momma gave him the same advice :D :D

Fecl,

I actually read it as importing live animals, for a bunch of Texans with big belt buckles to shoot.

Was this actually about the capes and horns of already dead animals??? :mad:

Bush 41 is pretty active with SCI, I think. That might cloud Elkgunner's thought pattern abilities here.

I saw that picture of Boddington, pretty big sheep!

Great!

Looks like SCI is looking out for the average hunter. :rolleyes:

I think hunting a 'polo at 20-30K is the least of my worries...let alone having an agency fight for my right to import one.

Cater to .0000001 percent of hunters...always good policy.

Yeah, I was thinking about how many hunts stateside a person could do for the price of one of those sheep. I've probably got enough to keep me busy on this continent until I'm too old to lace up the boots.

Oak

Yeah, they should work harder on the Polar Bear import ban! ;)

I know my chances of hunting MP sheep is closer (much closer) to none than to slim, but that would be a BLAST! IMO, those are some of the, if not THE, most impressive trophies. I guess I'll just have to settle for an Ibex hunt (about 1/5 the $$) in the same areas and hope to catch a glimpse of some.

Yes, I remember Bush 41 resigned, because he didn't like the "black booted thugs" over that Ruby Ridge stuff. How is Ruby Ridge, Idaho, do you guys go visit there? I've seen it on a map.

1_pointer, you can get a cheap sheep slam in Records of Exotics, or Trophy Game Records of the World. I think SCI might have one too, something like it. The Ibex sounds neat though. You can get a blue sheep pretty cheap, relatively speaking.

Some ranches down here give SCI members a 10% discount. They know they'll spread the word.

Half the fun costs you 100 times more. Blue sheep are pretty high and only a few thousand I think. I guided with a guy who did one last year, we had a group of hunters here for exotics, so we needed multiple guides. His guide on the blue sheep hunt kept trying to get him to shoot some Chinese wolf they saw. The guide hated the wolves, but the US hunter knew they were protected and he kept refusing. He ended up with a nice sheep to, he is young, big, strong, and can hike the mountains. They went up and over and got them, while other hunters waited around at lower levels.

Yeppers, it's more expensive, so much so that I'll probably never get to go, but we can always dream right? ;) I've looked into the blue sheep hunts as a cheap alternative. Phil Shoemaker wrote up a blue sheep hunt he went on a few months back in Successful Hunter. Looks like fun. I have a few more things to hunt in NA before I tackle that.

Back