Archery Spot and Stalk Hunt: How many arrows to bring?

cwormet

I’m heading out west this year to South Dakota or Montana for an Antelope in Late-Summer. I’m curious to know anyone’s experiences with how many arrows they went through on this type of hunt. I am contemplating getting 1 or 2 dozen arrows.
Thanks

How many critters are you planning to hunt? More than 6 with broadheads seems like a lot. Maybe 6 more for target practice/down time? FWIW, I went through 2 elk hunting this year.

If expending that number of arrows on spot and stalk opportunities, I think I would head back to the range and improve accuracy. (Hopefully my shots were way off and did not result in wounded spotted then stalked antelope.)

I was think the same thing … you take with you a full quiver on the actual spot & stalk ... and have some extra broadheads/arrows back in the truck (just in case).

If expending that number of arrows on spot and stalk opportunities, I think I would head back to the range and improve accuracy. (Hopefully my shots were way off and did not result in wounded spotted then stalked antelope.)

Clearly you didn't read it or understand the question he asked or my answer. I will assume (if) you do any traveling hunts you take only one arrow on your person and none back at the truck. :D

My hip quiver for spot and stalk holds six so I take 6. Nothing complicated about it. I do a lot of traveling hunts and S**T happens at the airport, at the hotel or at the camp or during the days hunts. Stuff bends, breaks, gets lost, etc. Its like having a conceal carry weapon, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Only once did I expend 6 arrows on a spot and stalk hunt. That was at 8000 up on Mauna Loa on the big Island of Hawaii. I was hunting Wild/feral, free range Vancouver bull and Polly hogs. I took a bull and two hogs and used all 6 but if you only travel with a total of 1 arrow on a long distance trip, good on you. Have em and not need them is WAY better than needing them and not having them. 5 extra arrows in a 6 arrow quiver is not too much weight to walk on a mountain with.

I tend to carry more broadheads than arrows since they take up very little room. When Im a thousand or (Thousands) of miles from home, having gear back home doesn't help me in the least. Take it with. If you dont use it, no bi deal. My stuff is pretty custom so I cant just stop into an archery dealer and pic up a replacement.

bP9YMrd.jpg

fXlGBxZ.jpg

Last edited:
Clearly you didn't read it or understand the question he asked or my answer. I will assume (if) you do any traveling hunts you take only one arrow on your person and none back at the truck. :D

I'm not sure you read the OP's original question. He asked "I’m curious to know anyone’s experiences with how many arrows they went through on this type of hunt. ". Any one that is going through 1 or 2 dozen arrows on an antelope hunt needs to go back to the range.

look one post above yours. Thanks. I'll break it down for you. Bring what your quiver holds and a few more back at the truck. This is not rocket surgery.

Last edited:
On any hunt I do, I have 5 in the quiver (usually a judo point or something for small game plus 4 arrows). I also have extra arrows in my bow case which always travel with me regardless of if I'm going to a 3D, the range, or a hunt.

If going into a hunt (any hunt) with the idea that you're going to 'go through' a bunch of arrows, you've likely set yourself up from failure from the start. Of course, this being the assumption that you only have 1 tag. Multiple species/tag hunts can be different.

I’m heading out west this year to South Dakota or Montana for an Antelope in Late-Summer. I’m curious to know anyone’s experiences with how many arrows they went through on this type of hunt. I am contemplating getting 1 or 2 dozen arrows.
Thanks
If you can get 1 to 2 dozen "legitimate" shot attempts in one season with a bow on speedies spot and stock public land that may be the most impressive thing I have ever heard of when it comes to archery hunting antelope in MT.

Quick answer a dozen is plenty. Should be for a season at least unless your whacking 47 management deer a season.

depends on if you like to shoot grouse/rabbits/doves while between stalks. That can bend/break a lot of arrows. I carry 6 in my quiver

On a Horseback hunt I broke 2 carbon arrows from brush along the trail, and not lifting my foot high enough once while re mounting. I had 6 spares back at camp with field points. .

5 total. If I was coming from out of state I think I might bring a dozen? I look at my arrows as a $15+ shot to the pocketbook everytime I ruin one. That helps my aim. ;)

Unless you plan to take a bunch of unethical Hail Mary shots at ridiculous distances a dozen arrows and broadheads is more than enough for an antelope hunting trip. A quiver full to hunt with and the rest back at camp to practice with and you will be just fine. This year I carried a dozen, missed some shots, and still came home with 10 arrows. Hopefully you leave with a dozen arrows and come back with 11 clean arrows and one bloody arrow!

I think 6 (a quiver full) is plenty. If you need more than that, you should probably go home early anyway and work on your shooting.

I go through 1-2 arrows PER ANIMAL so on a spot and stalk where I have more than one tag, I might carry 4-6 arrows. Most arrows I am able to retrieve but the broad heads are busted or damaged so I have a dozen broad heads ready to mount to the arrow. I shoot with carbon arrows and those usually last me a while.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back