ARCHERY HUNTERS...heads up for bullets!

CAPTNRED

Is the priority of safety taking a backseat to convenience? :confused:

First off let me say I am a big fan of FWP and the Youth Hunt program that allows our young hunters to enjoy the outdoors and possibly harvest their first deer before the general season starts.

Just wanted to pass on some information that may affect archery hunters this fall.
The dates of the 2013 rifle Youth Hunts are October 17, 18. These dates fall within the general archery season that doesn't end until the 20th of October. I talked with Helena FWP and they say the dates reflect school systems days off (Thursday and Friday...third week in October) and this circumstance will occur every year that the Archery season starts/runs later in the year. This presents a serious safety concern having our youngest hunters carrying a rifle with Archery hunters in full camo elk/deer calling in the woods. I realize that they are required to have an "adult" (18 & over) with them but some of these "adults" may have very limited experience.

There are currently no safegaurds in place this season (requiring archery hunters to wear orange for these two days) and there is no indication that FWP will move the dates to the traditional Thursday/Friday immediately before the General Rifle season. Hopefully this issue is addressed further before an incident occurs.

Bottom line is setting youth season dates around school days off and not the safety of all hunters is irresponsible, nothing trumps safety, period!

Contact Helena FWP and voice concerns if you have any.
call (406) 444-2535
or write Attn: Commission
PO Box 200701
Helena, MT 59620

If concerned for your safety on those conflicting days just wear hunters orange. What's the big deal? Now you know how all other outdoor recreationalist feel during hunting season.

Hunter orange isn't a solution! It's a great opportunity for the kids...so why isn't it during the first two days of rifle season and let the adults suck up having two less days. Or just cut archery season two days. Anything to avoid a conflict. Just letting everyone hunt at the same time is a complete avoidance of finding a solution.

How is hunter orange not a solution? It seems to work perfectly find for the 6 week general season in MT where there are a LOT more hunters afield than on the youth hunt. Heck, in ID there's no orange requirement in the general rifle seasons and it's not like folks are getting shot around every bend. But, like you said, what's 2 days. If you don't feel safe don't go or wear lots of orange regardless of what the regs are. I know it wouldn't stop me...

I live in the outdoor recreationist capital of the world. On any given day while hunting you can run into people walking dogs, trail running, riding horses, backpacking etc....

I'm sure they get a bit edgy come rifle season knowing there are people out packing weapons but we haven't killed anyone yet that I know of. The youth have to be accompanied by an adult so hopefully we are providing some real one on one training during this time.

I see zero problem with the MT FWP putting youth rifle season in archery season. If you are rifle hunting, your should be wearing orange anyway, regardless of state laws. It is self responsibility.

Here in ND, our youth rifle season for deer is Sept., during the archery season. Rifle hunters are required to wear orange, archers are not. We also have the elk season which starts in Sept also and runs concurrent with archery. Nobody is getting hurt. If I am packing out an animal as an archery hunter, I'll throw on some orange.

In WYO, I bowhunt an area that has the MD rifle season going on simultaneously as the archery elk hunt. Apparently carrying a rifle during an archery season isn't a safety problem in Wyoming either.

Last year I wasn't even aware of the youth hunt, which put me in a strange position when I saw a friend post a deer his son shot before the regular season.

This year's regs bury the hunt description in the back and there is no mention of it in the region specific seasons so I'd be surprised if very many people will realize kids can rifle hunt during bow season this year...

If bowhunters could get away with wearing orange I assume they wouldn't bother with camo... right? Or maybe they are just being fashionable ;) Plus if they don't know rifles are allowed they wouldn't think to put on orange.

I could see a problem where two hunters are cow calling back and forth and the rifleman takes the bowhunter for an elk. Turkey hunters have been thinning themselves out back east using this method for quite some time now.

I doubt if it will be a big danger, but I guess if I was a bowhunter who saw a rifle-toting kid I'd be a little disconcerted if for no other reason than I'd probably want to turn him in for poaching.

I'm pretty sure research shows that hunters orange has no effect on safety. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Can't find the report but maybe someone else can find this?

so why isn't it during the first two days of rifle season and let the adults suck up having two less days. Or just cut archery season two days.

I must respectfully disagree. We have bear and antelope rifle hunters sharing the field with archers and have since I was old enough to hunt. Why should many have to forgo opportunity to placate a few? What's next? The same old timers who wanted guaranteed sheep tags will be crying for their own two days all to themselves and let everyone else "suck it up"? When I was 12 I had no problem killing my first deer after hunting all day on the opener, and I had to wait to play with the adults. I'm not against the early youth season but it should not infringe on everyone else's season. Having it prior to the general season is just fine. It's not like that's the only 2 days kids can hunt, they get the entire general season as well.

I could see a problem where two hunters are cow calling back and forth and the rifleman takes the bowhunter for an elk.

IIRC this hunt is for deer only.

I must respectfully disagree. We have bear and antelope rifle hunters sharing the field with archers and have since I was old enough to hunt. Why should many have to forgo opportunity to placate a few? What's next? The same old timers who wanted guaranteed sheep tags will be crying for their own two days all to themselves and let everyone else "suck it up"? When I was 12 I had no problem killing my first deer after hunting all day on the opener, and I had to wait to play with the adults. I'm not against the early youth season but it should not infringe on everyone else's season. Having it prior to the general season is just fine. It's not like that's the only 2 days kids can hunt, they get the entire general season as well.
My daughter will have her first hunt this year and I'm not sure how I feel about the early hunt. I don't think it benefits her much, but from a purely selfish perspective I can take her hunting on her opener then I can go do my own elk hunt on my opener without worrying about how miserable she would be trying to follow me around. So the hunt does benefit ME a lot.

IIRC this hunt is for deer only.
Yup, I was wrong - the hunt is for deer only. I wouldn't think there would be many conflicts since that is the case...

My daughter will have her first hunt this year and I'm not sure how I feel about the early hunt. I don't think it benefits her much, but from a purely selfish perspective I can take her hunting on her opener then I can go do my own elk hunt on my opener without worrying about how miserable she would be trying to follow me around. So the hunt does benefit ME a lot.

I'm all for you taking her out and I'm not scared of getting shot during those 2 days, even in full camo. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Here it is mandatory to wear blaze orange (atleast a vest AND hat) during the youth rifle season in october even if you are bowhunting or small game hunting.Its not a big deal,I havnt had any problems with deer picking me out because of it while bowhunting. I do alot of archery hunting here during the season and am about sick of hearing about all the archery guys complain about every little thing that goes on thinking it is going to screw up their hunt like they are owed something in return. We are all hunters,that all need to get along for the sport no matter what weapon is used as long as it is legal.I think it is nice that the youths have a season that they can hunt in with some fair weather and enjoy their hunt a little more than when it is freezing outside.I also think it is great that I am allowed to bowhunt during these two days of the year.It works out for everyone.

I think its ridiculous to have this youth deer hunt at all.

A five week rifle season, during the mule deer and whitetail rut is enough. Not to mention another 6 weeks of archery if a youth is an archery hunter.

It would be a different story if Montanas hunting season was 5 days long for deer...but that isnt the case at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back