MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

AR Type Rifles for Deer Hunting!

antelopedundee

For those of you who live in states where rifles are allowed for deer hunting what percentage of hunters would you say use something like the AR-15 for deer hunting?

No idea what the % would be. My son has used one because they are easy to adjust length of pull on and very manageable recoil. He took his first 3 deer with one. Now that he is 12 I'm working on upgrading him to something a little bigger, hopefully a left handed 7mm-08.

I’ve never actually seen anybody with one in the field, I would imagine on private land they are probably more popular but as far as public land hunters in MT, WY, and CO I bet it’s less than 1% of hunters.

I have yet to see anyone hunting anything other than coyotes with them in MT. Thinking of building one in 7-08 with a suppressor for daughter #4 as she seems to be extremely recoil/noise shy. My guess is less than 1% and 90% of the 1% are under 30 and watched too many shoot em up movies.. not that I am one to judge as my safe has it’s fair share of m4’s. Just never used em for anything other than vermin.

Last edited:
I saw it pretty often when I was stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia but I think that was mostly fellow soldiers using something that was familiar to them. My dad and uncle did the same with the M1 carbine when they got out of the service in the 60's. I've since lived in Oregon, Idaho, and now Montana and have only once seen it used in the field. It was an Idaho antelope hunter using a 6.8 AR15 successfully.

I am asking mainly because I understand that there is some movement here in Iowa to allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting. One person I conversed with is somewhat concerned about AR guys out there spraying bullets around when the deer get to running as someone here hunting coyotes was recently shot and killed in that manner. So I was wondering if maybe his concerns are unfounded.

To each their own...I don't do it but I have no problem with someone who does. I'm considering a 6.5 Grendel for my son since they are light and easy to adjust LOP. I don't know why you wouldn't. What's the argument against it? It's aesthetically unpleasing? Semi-auto is bad? I really don't get the hate.

I'm sure folks thought the lever action was king until everyone got back from WWII and started using bolt actions. Now everyone is using ARs. So what?

There are certainly good arguments to be made against .223 and hunting big game. But that's a different issue. If you get an accurate barrel chambered in a good hunting cartridge, then who cares what the gun looks like or what kind of action you use.

As a last thought on the subject of fair chase, I think there is something to be said for a self-imposed magazine capacity restriction. Stick to loading <5 rounds, and make it an easy decision to do the right thing and take responsible, ethical shots. Don't let your trigger finger be tempted by the AR cycle rate and I've got no issue with the rifle platform for hunting.

I really don't get the hate.

Personally I could care less about AR’s being semi-auto, I’ve just found them to be really heavy and expensive. Also they have more complicated mechanics, and I don’t want do deal with cleaning them. I don’t own a pistol for the same reason.

Nothing wrong with them just not the tool I would select for the job. Sometimes it does feel like AR enthusiasts are trying to shoehorn them into hunting. Seems like if they were legitimately a better hunting platform they would be used more.

For the most part I hunt with a bolt action but I've used one of my AR's (.450 bushmaster) a few times hunting the thick western Washington terrain. My dad uses one in 6.5 grendel fairly often. I'm planning on building a lightweight 6.8 spc specifically for deer hunting. They aren't better than any other hunting rifle. But then again neither are lever action rifles. But you never hear anyone question why someone would hunt with one of them.

I saw them used a whole lot more in the SE (Alabama) than either the NE (West Virginia, Pennsylvania) or the West (Montana). I think short barrels were more conducive to the thick brush, small food plot hunting environment of Alabama...

I use an AR platform for hunting quite often, not all the time, but most. I use 5.56 on small game, no issue i.e. rabbits, coyote, javelina. I use my .308 AR platform for elk and deer. I see zero issue using a semi auto to hunt with. The type of semi auto means absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned, so long as the round is adequate for the animal being hunted, the rifle is reliable, accurate, etc. I know I print groups just as tight with my AR platform as I do with my bolt guns.

I also run a suppressor on my rifles. No I have not seen too many "shoot 'em up" movies, and I'm not under 30. But I have spent my entire career using AR platforms, often choosing them over the bolt guns we could have used. I like them, find them to be accurate, reliable, ergonomic, modular (changing stocks, grips, etc. as I change my preference), etc. I also know that hearing loss is real, and why not use something I have access to that also benefits others (hikers and hunters not having as loud a sound carrying)? Since it does not make me any more effective at hunting, as it is actually a hindrance, heavier, bulkier, etc. It's all personal preference, why use a bolt gun over a musket? Why use a lever action instead of a bow? But I have also used a Hawken rifle to hunt, bolt actions, lever actions, a bow, etc.

The issue of "spraying bullets everywhere" or "you don't need that much gun to hunt" is asinine, made by people who are unfamiliar with hunting, or rifles/terminal ballistics, or both. It does not spray bullets, as it is not a hose spraying water. If that was how that person was shot in that scenario, that hunter should not be hunting, as it clearly violated the safety rules of firearms. No different than Cheney shooting his buddy with a shotgun, right? Just my opinion.

AR's are used extensively here for nocturnal feral hog shooting. Low recoil for thermal optics works well availing multiple rounds on target. Have a few very competent buds who use rails or AR for deer with some fine walls and packed freezers.

They are pretty popular here and are great for the terrain in my opinion. I use a .458 SOCOM for deer hunting if I don't have success with my bow. To each their own, but, here during rifle season, you are only allowed to have x amount of rounds on your person when hunting...so the "spray and pray" philosophy doesn't really stick.....but I have heard several guy empty their slug guns damn quick!! lol My AR 10 heavy barrel .308 is lights out ( too heavy to lug around on hunting trips though). ....but then again, I'm just a hick from Indiana..

I have one in 6.5 grendel, that is great for deer or lopes. Some guys see a guy hunting with. B.A.R., and tell him what a nice rifle he has, see a guy with an AR, and shake their head at him in disgust lol. For what it's worth, my main 2 firearms for deer are a muzzleloader, and an 1885. That 6.5 is just too accurate, and fun to shoot to not carry it in the field from time to time.

I am asking mainly because I understand that there is some movement here in Iowa to allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting. One person I conversed with is somewhat concerned about AR guys out there spraying bullets around when the deer get to running as someone here hunting coyotes was recently shot and killed in that manner. So I was wondering if maybe his concerns are unfounded.
[/QUOTE

You can already hunt with an AR in Iowa. Since straight walled pistol cartridges were approved for rifles a few years ago several calibers have been developed in the AR platform. 450 Bushmaster seems to be most common.

I pay pretty close attention to the legislature and there has been nothing about highpower center fires. The day will probably come though. Have to give everybody their own pet season or weapons approval these days. People just bound and determined to F- up the deer hunting here.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back