Applying kids for preference/bonus points.

jzoller

I have heard Randy speak occasionally how he began applying his son for tags/points at an early age. I have a four year old and one year old, and am looking for a resource regarding an application strategy for kids. I could not find anything on gohunt.com related to this topic, nor when I searched through this forum. I would like to start them at as early of an age as possible, so I am still able to walk when they can draw premium tags. ;-)

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, before I spend hours on line trying to gather information and enter into a spreadsheet.

Thanks,
Josh

Montana allows kids to start accruing points at 1 year old, I believe. That's the earliest I know of. (Doesn't get a lot earlier.) Once a kid hits 9, you can get them points in Oregon. Most states, like @Cornell Cowboy stated, require that the child attain legal hunting age, however.

I have heard Randy speak occasionally how he began applying his son for tags/points at an early age. I have a four year old and one year old, and am looking for a resource regarding an application strategy for kids. I could not find anything on gohunt.com related to this topic, nor when I searched through this forum. I would like to start them at as early of an age as possible, so I am still able to walk when they can draw premium tags. ;-)

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, before I spend hours on line trying to gather information and enter into a spreadsheet.

Thanks,
Josh
How far gone the points system is, even if applying at 1 in Montana the odds of drawing in your lifetime will be slim to none if your referring to the big three. Even worse odds of your a non resident.

I will be honest If your speaking of preference point states there is no way I'd waste my money on it. Some of those states are around 25 years into their systems your children will never draw a primo tag in their lifetime more than likely. Bonus point states not quite the same terrible odds but slim chance also with squared point systems ect.
I could see those systems failing eventually with the states changing the rules in the middle of the game.
I do not apply in any preference point states but am in several bonus point states since I am about 10 years behind the beginning of those systems. Middle of the pack in most of those and mainly for the big 3.

You would probably do better to invest in saving those funds for a once in a lifetime outfitted hunt with them once they are older and decide if/when, or what they may wanna chase. What if they grow up and decide hunting isn't for them and you have invested all those funds into state systems for nothing? If in the above mentioned account at least the funds can be used for other things.

Welcome to HT!

Best strategy is not to buy any points for your kids right now. At 1- and 4-years-old it is far too early to forecast whether they're going to grow up to be in the top 1-2% of dedicated hunting junkies, which are the type of folks that play multiple state point games. Some of my well-meaning family members got me involved, or tried to get me involved, in some adult-world activities when I was a kid. Some of the ones I remember are college planning/investing at age 4, experimental medical research and fundraising at age 10, planning multiple-day trips at age 12, and retirement planning/investing at age 16. This was overwhelming, confusing, and inappropriate, because a kid doesn't have the mind to adequately understand these things, yet they want to please their parents, so they do the best they can to go along with it, or they bow out and hope they don't suffer relationship consequences by doing so.

It doesn't matter if the points are easily affordable for you. It might cost you relatively little $ to buy them, but you risk creating a cost of the burden of expectation on your kids if they don't want to cash in the points and go on the trips someday. Even if you tell them you don't care if they choose not to go, they might feel terrible for you having put forth all the research and time and money and multiple years of planning to set something up really special for them. Most kids don't want to feel like they've let down their parents.

I have a daughter who is almost 3. She likes singing, dancing, princesses, make-believe, candy, and visits from grandma. We had a snowball fight last week in miserable weather, and after an hour I told her we were going inside because I was cold and hungry. She demanded to stay outside by herself and keep playing because she was having so much fun. I killed some rabbits this morning, and she asked to pet the fur when I brought them in the house. We had rabbit soup for supper and she keeps asking when the next time I can go hunting.

Probably once every week or two I fantasize about someday taking her on a big game youth hunt in a Western state. The tags are cheap, the opportunities are ridiculously amazing, and only if I'd been treated to such a thing as a youth... Yet, I choose not to share these ideas with her any time soon.

I can see someday, maybe when she's around 12 or so, that we might buy some points for her. I could see this happening if she's an avid hunter, she's been out West and fell in love with it, and dreams about drawing a coveted big game tag. There is a chance this could happen, maybe 3% based on how much exposure she has from this kind of stuff from me. But it's a whole lot more likely that she'll have some other passion she wants to pursue, and it would be far more worthwhile to invest our time and money activities that she is interested in pursuing.

The "downside" in not buying the points is that she'll be 10 years behind on the points game due to us not buying them when she's 2. Maybe someday she'll bemoan my philosophy and tell me I should have just bought the points so she could have been well on her way in chasing 190" deer and 350" elk. And if she does I'll just smile knowing I made a wise decision anyways.

I guess is basically what you want to spend money on and how much you have to spend. The non-resident points game is stiff when take into account most require a hunting and fishing license that the non-resident kid will not use unless is headed to scout or hunt that year. Add in multiple years of building points before get the tag.

My kids are grown. They each hunted a bit then faded as something they wanted to devote time to doing. I was okay with that as they were passionate about the things they wanted to do instead of hunt. Would I have been as supportive of their other interests if I had been building non-resident points for them in several states? I spend about $2500 a year applying so even with a kid discount in some states there would have been $1000s of points involved.

I enjoyed catching dozen of 1/2 pound panfish in a pond more than trolling all day in the Gulf hoping to get a billfish to hit. I like a bit of action. I enjoyed shooting a limit of squirrels more than sitting on a deer stand for several days in a row not seeing much. Today as an old guy I still enjoy getting into some hot panfish action. I prefer an elk hunt over a squirrel hunt as I enjoy a bit of solitude so even if not seeing much I am okay if no ATVs zooming around and orange vests in every direction.

I have changed. Kids change, too.

Welcome to HT!

Best strategy is not to buy any points for your kids right now. At 1- and 4-years-old it is far too early to forecast whether they're going to grow up to be in the top 1-2% of dedicated hunting junkies, which are the type of folks that play multiple state point games. Some of my well-meaning family members got me involved, or tried to get me involved, in some adult-world activities when I was a kid. Some of the ones I remember are college planning/investing at age 4, experimental medical research and fundraising at age 10, planning multiple-day trips at age 12, and retirement planning/investing at age 16. This was overwhelming, confusing, and inappropriate, because a kid doesn't have the mind to adequately understand these things, yet they want to please their parents, so they do the best they can to go along with it, or they bow out and hope they don't suffer relationship consequences by doing so.

It doesn't matter if the points are easily affordable for you. It might cost you relatively little $ to buy them, but you risk creating a cost of the burden of expectation on your kids if they don't want to cash in the points and go on the trips someday. Even if you tell them you don't care if they choose not to go, they might feel terrible for you having put forth all the research and time and money and multiple years of planning to set something up really special for them. Most kids don't want to feel like they've let down their parents.

I have a daughter who is almost 3. She likes singing, dancing, princesses, make-believe, candy, and visits from grandma. We had a snowball fight last week in miserable weather, and after an hour I told her we were going inside because I was cold and hungry. She demanded to stay outside by herself and keep playing because she was having so much fun. I killed some rabbits this morning, and she asked to pet the fur when I brought them in the house. We had rabbit soup for supper and she keeps asking when the next time I can go hunting.

Probably once every week or two I fantasize about someday taking her on a big game youth hunt in a Western state. The tags are cheap, the opportunities are ridiculously amazing, and only if I'd been treated to such a thing as a youth... Yet, I choose not to share these ideas with her any time soon.

I can see someday, maybe when she's around 12 or so, that we might buy some points for her. I could see this happening if she's an avid hunter, she's been out West and fell in love with it, and dreams about drawing a coveted big game tag. There is a chance this could happen, maybe 3% based on how much exposure she has from this kind of stuff from me. But it's a whole lot more likely that she'll have some other passion she wants to pursue, and it would be far more worthwhile to invest our time and money activities that she is interested in pursuing.

The "downside" in not buying the points is that she'll be 10 years behind on the points game due to us not buying them when she's 2. Maybe someday she'll bemoan my philosophy and tell me I should have just bought the points so she could have been well on her way in chasing 190" deer and 350" elk. And if she does I'll just smile knowing I made a wise decision anyways.
great perspective EF2 and well written; keep after those rabbits, you're bringing her up rite

I started applying my kids as early as I could in WY, CO, and AZ. So far neither has been out west on trip benefiting from my strategy. With college winding down that will hopefully change and time will open up. Don’t forget that once they hit 18 the cost goes up and their ability to take over the expense likely doesn’t....

I’d say go for it. Most states require them to be hunting age to apply. I’m going to do what I can afford assuming I will be paying after they turn 18 as well. I won’t do everything everywhere but do what I can. I figure the points are cheaper than buying even a crappy landowner tag in the future. I am also throwing money into an account for a guided hunt in the future assuming points may not work out for big 3. Figure by doing both I keep my options open

Best strategy is not to buy any points for your kids right now.

On the other side of that coin my BIL got to do a 20pt elk hunt at age 30... as well as an equally hard to draw pronghorn hunt. 🤷‍♂️

Hugely depends on the person; income, your hobbies, what state you live in and how that state does the draw, etc... I think in some instances it makes a lot of sense.

My kids are 5 and 7 and both have a couple of bear and bobcat points in WI. I’ll also be getting them points in a couple of the more economical western states when they are old enough.

Maybe they’ll want to burn them when they get older and maybe they won’t - I’m not going to force them either way. But the points will help provide a more enjoyable first western hunting experience should they want to go. Depending on your perspective, I’m either gambling or buying insurance.

In any case, I work hard enough and can justify spending several hundred bucks over a few years for the opportunity those points might provide. And if my kids decide they don’t want to hunt I’ll donate the tag to a disabled hunter or service member.

That said, I’d figure out what your gambling/insurance budget is for your kiddos, get going on that spreadsheet, and start buying in whatever state(s) you like the best. Good luck and let us know what route you go.

Thanks for the replies everyone!! Definitely gained some perspectives I had not fully thought of.

We live in Michigan, and have family and friends who live in AZ, CO and WY. My son (4) is asking to go out hunting with me already, and we are going out in the squirrel woods in the next few weeks. I only started hunting four years ago my self, and have only had one WY cow elk tag out west to date. We are homeschooling our kids, and will have the flexibility to spend extended periods of time in the west during the hunting months.

I am selfishly hoping they both enjoy the outdoors and hunting. I will have to remember what Dwight said "Pull the string and it will follow wherever you wish. Push it, and it will go nowhere at all."

Thanks again for all the feed back!! Good luck to everyone during application season!!

I wouldn't overthink it. If you want to buy points and can afford it, buy some points. In some states it is actually relatively inexpensive to build points for kids.

Just don't be too upset if the rules change down the road or if the kids end up not wanting to hunt. Pick the states that you think you might have some opportunity in down the road. Mix in some easy to draw stuff too.

I just enjoyed a great elk hunt with my son last year in one of the best late season hunts AZ has because I started building points for him as soon as he was old enough, I believe 10 in AZ. Really cheap too. We will be doing that for the foreseeable future in numerous states. If you can afford it, do it.

I bought some points in WY for my three boys back when they were dirt cheap. I dumped them all when they jacked prices. Good decision because they are now 32, 28 & 27 and none of them hunt. Took all of them whenever they wanted but they were more interested in video games. But one married into a hunters family so at least they eat a ton of my game meat. Can’t imagine what I’d do if I had bought into a bunch of point programs! 😧

I am 27 years old and it would have been really cool if someone had bought a bunch of points for me when I was a kid. I definitely would appreciate that now. If you do go ahead and start buying points, you could potentially go on a really cool hunt with your kid when their older (As jabber mentioned!) That's something special! But your kids will still love you even if you don't buy points for them

I am very interested in this post due to the fact that I have 2 young boys (3 and 5) who love to hunt and cant wait to hold the rifle or gun themselves. I was blind sided when I started reading these messeges though. Seems like a lot of people say its a bad idea and I guess being new to the point game, I don't understand. I am 30 and if I had 20 points in pretty much any state as a non resident, I could hunt some AWESOME units. I had been thinking about doing this for them so I could take them on some hunts not many people get to go on. Even if Im not hunting and its just for them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in my opinion of course.........take that money you'd throw away at the points and put it in a college fund or mutual fund for them, you'll be doggone happy you did in 18 years!

But again, it all depends on your financial situation and choices you want to make.

Before I had kids and when they were really young, all I was ever focused on was hunting, fishing, anything outdoors related. As they started to grow, I quickly realized how balance in life is much more important than being 1-dimensional and only thinking about hunting all the time. Hunting is still near the top of my list, but my kids and wife will always be #1, and I'm a much better person for it now that I have balance and can compromise.

That doesn't answer your question, but it's my thoughts for the day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back