Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Applying kids for preference/bonus points.

I’m glad to hear some of your kids actually became hunters. Because as I posted I had three boys who had no interest at all. Seems we both decided right about the points.

Thanks again for all the input everyone!

All I am really looking for is them to have a quality hunting experience where success rates are higher, not looking for any max point hunts. I think I will apply in the few states where its cheap (when the kids are old enough, if they show interest in hunting) and where we have family living.

It seems like the best route is to take the kids hunting in the west (when they are old enough to hunt) and take advantage of the inexpensive youth tags they can get. This will also allow the them to determine if hunting out west is something they enjoy.

I suppose if I buy points and the kids don't have interest I could donate a tag to a charity or veteran.

Definitely do it in the states that have a much lower price youth to apply. My son has had a few fun hunts and now still has a decent amount of points in AZ and WY but started his first year at getting an Engineering degree. This sucks because the reality is he can't apply anymore for tags because he couldn't hunt if he drew. Then there is his desire to even hunt anymore.... Not so much so I am letting some species lapse in WY. And in AZ he will lose his loyalty point and now that he is 18 I doubt he will flip the bill for continuing to pay for more points. But it is a reality check, if he liked it more he would step up to the plate. But he has hunted deer in MT, AZ and lope hunted 3 times in NM. All great memories.

Back