Caribou Gear Tarp

Apartment bird dog

RyeGuy74

I'm finally in a spot where I can look at getting a hunting dog of my own but I live in an apartment. I no longer have my parents fence large yard like I did when I was in high school😂. Just looking at recommendations of bird dogs that can do well in an apartment. My first choice for a bird is GSP or an EP but that'll have to wait until I get my own yard. I was looking at the American Water Spaniel but any other opinions/recommendations are appreciated! I hunt pheasants but am trying to get into duck hunting also

I have a brittany that is pretty mellow. But he gets exercise 4-6 days a week. I can't say that is typical. Maybe don't start with a puppy. I personally don't enjoy the puppy stage. Sometimes breeders will have started dogs and you will have chance to judge temperament for an apartment.

I’ve lived in an a 2-bedroom apartment (between houses) with my Lab/Vizsla mix for a few months and would not recommend it. I gave her plenty of exercise but it didn’t matter. Still knocking things over and getting under people’s feet all the time. Going from a 1300 sq. ft house to a 775 sq ft apartment was a major difference.

Ive known apartment dwellers that have done alright with Brittanys. They are gentler, smaller, and don’t make as much of a presence as some slightly larger dogs.

I've been impressed with my friend's wirehaired pointers. Very biddable and more low maintenance than the EP's and GSP's I've been around. He had them in a Urban home but they were wide ranging out in the Nevada sage country.

English Labs are good for pheasant and waterfowl, and as driven hunting dogs go, if you go to a good breeder, they tend to be calmer than most. Maybe think of getting a started English Lab or an adult English Lab from a family that is moving etc - as after the first two years they can be down right couch potatoes. YMMV.

My last dog was a Brittany. He was a good house dog so long as he was able to get out and run a couple of times a day.
Ive known apartment dwellers that have done alright with Brittanys. They are gentler, smaller, and don’t make as much of a presence as some slightly larger dogs.
My last dog was a Brittany. Bred from good hunting stock. He was a great companion, but super high energy. I’d always had labs and goldens before that, so maybe it’s just perspective. I would take him to a park twice a day and let him run for 20-30 minutes, and took him for longer hikes on weekends. He loved being out in open spaces. In the house, he wanted to be all up in your face all the time. I called him “the cat dog”. Unless you got some places to let your dog run off leash, I wouldn’t recommend a Brittany.

Any hunting dog is going to be tough in a small space like that. They are bred to have too much energy.

One I thought may do decent would be a field cocker spaniel. Small but with a hunting style similar to a springer. Might be tough to find the field line though, most people buy cockers from the show lines.

Ive had 4 labs and a chessy all have been great house dogs yes they have more energy as pups all dogs do and yes they will need lots of walks and places to run but IMO not as much as a pointer
The issue you could have if you dont get one from a breeder that has a hunting line is over breeding and that can led to hyper dogs
be careful of some breeders I live in Pa and puppy mills are an issue here

I wouldn't overthink it too much. I bought Boomer (chocolate lab, EXTREMELY high energy) when I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate. We didn't have a ton of grass to work with but every day I was driving out 30+min to take em in the woods to hike or a couple times a week I'd drive the hour to the retriever club to train with others. But after 2 years of that I moved out and was back in the country. I knew I wouldn't be in an apt forever or in the city forever. I think if you were planning on staying in city limits a lab may not be the best choice as they do require lots of exercise.

It's definitely do-able, I was in your position and thought I'd be giving the dog a bad life in an apartment but it's all what you make of it. 5 years later and he's a lean mean bird finding and fetching machine.

I wouldn't overthink it too much. I bought Boomer (chocolate lab, EXTREMELY high energy) when I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate. We didn't have a ton of grass to work with but every day I was driving out 30+min to take em in the woods to hike or a couple times a week I'd drive the hour to the retriever club to train with others. But after 2 years of that I moved out and was back in the country. I knew I wouldn't be in an apt forever or in the city forever. I think if you were planning on staying in city limits a lab may not be the best choice as they do require lots of exercise.

It's definitely do-able, I was in your position and thought I'd be giving the dog a bad life in an apartment but it's all what you make of it. 5 years later and he's a lean mean bird finding and fetching machine.

I would second these thoughts.

Get the dog that you think is the right fit for you. Regardless of apartment or large yard it will be your dedication to the dog that will make it successful. A hyper dog in a hunting situation can be very calm in any home when trained properly.

I have an awesome property now for running dogs. A great fenced backyard and additional acres to train on.... but my backyard doesnt do crap for the dog. I still need to work with him to keep him sharp.

I had someone mention to me once who owned a backyard and was a marathon runner. He had a GSP and took him running for miles daily with him. Also ran the dog on the treadmill at the house.... he claims it did not change 1 thing. The dog never got tired.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back