Aoudad-DIY

Eyeguy

Hey HT Crew,
First off....Im not sure this goes in this category or in "other big game" but I figure the Aoudad is a sheep....so what the heck. A friend and I are looking into the possibility of doing an Aoudad hunt next year....we are thinking february or early march. West Tx would be an option. After reading up it looks like the usual thing to do is pay a fee to access a private ranch (free range tho...no fences). Some threads on here talk about hunting huge ranches.....38000 acres! I guess we know about the challenges of the hunt....dry, steep country, rough terrain etc but my challenge so far is finding the hunt I want. Im not sure how "secret" it is to try to get some contact info for one of these ranch managers (I would never go online and ask for someones elk spot, deer, etc) and locate a ranch. Get what I mean? If its not too much to ask some ranch options would be great (if they are "secret" or hard to come by... I would FULLY understand not wanting to share). Everything that comes up on the inet is guided....not what we are looking for. We are interested in tent camping, taking our own food and water, etc. Just access to the property, point us the right direction, and turn us loose. To those who have done similar hunts....what kind of trespass fees would we expect. I have seen 500-1000 which I don't think is terribly unreasonable. Tag is OTC? Any other info would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks in advance. Feel free to PM.

Last edited:
Try John Boerschig Ranches. He has a ranch in Marfa with aoudad. I have never hunted at that ranch, but I did hunt his ranch in Brackettville for whitetails several times and it was always a good experience. The Marfa ranch has lodging, so I don't know about the tent camping part. Website is www.hunting-Texas.net. Let me know if I can be of any other help.

That Marfa ranch he referred to you to shows it's $1995 for a 3 day hunt, including lodging. My guess is that it is also guided. Maybe it's not, but it would do no harm to contact them and see if that's written in stone or if they would work out something for you. I've thought about going after an Aoudad out there too, but I have never been able to find a DIY hunt for them.

You do have the option of applying in New Mexico on public land. I don't believe the success rate is high.

Also, there are Aoudads in the Texas panhandle.

TV shows but a big stop in the trespass fee hunting for aoudad in Texas.We are all about 4-5 years to late.Now it seems like all you'll find is leased guided hunts.Don't think there's alot of public ground in Texas

Good luck in your seach though.I'd love to do it if you find something.I had a place years back I was going to go hunt,but wasn't quick enough and now it's leased out

Come to NM. OTC tag is around $300.

Yeah but what areas outside of the controlled zones actually contain sheep? If you know and are willing to share I'm all ears, because I can't draw 29,30 or 32, 34, 36, 37 to save my life. Odds are getting worse every year too.

Yeah but what areas outside of the controlled zones actually contain sheep? If you know and are willing to share I'm all ears, because I can't draw 29,30 or 32, 34, 36, 37 to save my life. Odds are getting worse every year too.

Agreed. No one really seems to talk much about these hunts. Im sure the guys who are on sheep are pretty quiet about it. Don't blame them.

They're pretty nomadic and sparsely populated in the OTC units. Knowing where they were yesterday can only help you so much today. I'd suggest starting on units which border the draw units. Or you can private land OTC in the draw units.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back