Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anyone with an old DUI gone to Canada in the last few years?

WesternRookie

Anywhere I try to look online, it is nothing but a bunch of businesses and lawyers seemingly set up to prey on the fears of Americans

Anyone with an old DUI care to share if they were turned around at the border (or not) since the law was changed in 2018?

I think it has to be at least 10 years since your dui to cross the border into Canada. I would contact the Canadian consulate office and find out for sure what the policy is. Don't take a chance of messing up your trip. Good luck.

Last edited:
I do not have a DUI nor does anyone that goes with us so I have no first hand experience, but the Canada forum on walleyecentral.com has pretty good information on crossing the border with a DUI/DWI.

Edit:
I see now they have removed everything and just posted a link to this site: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:Dwi.Or.Dui.Driving.Convictions.html

I talked to a guy who was stopped at the border for a past conviction. He wasn't too embarrassed to talk about it...

Anywhere I try to look online, it is nothing but a bunch of businesses and lawyers seemingly set up to prey on the fears of Americans

Anyone with an old DUI care to share if they were turned around at the border (or not) since the law was changed in 2018?
I myself have a dui, i am also curious. I have heard there is a form you have to fill out and pay a fee, and has to be done in person. I have three friends that have been turned away, two ice fishing, one in his semi. But i think child molesters can get in.

I myself have a dui, i am also curious. I have heard there is a form you have to fill out and pay a fee, and has to be done in person. I have three friends that have been turned away, two ice fishing, one in his semi. But i think child molesters can get in.
It seems all the stories of people being turned away are people driving across the border in a car. I have yet to hear of anyone turned away who was flying in

I do not have a DUI nor does anyone that goes with us so I have no first hand experience, but the Canada forum on walleyecentral.com has pretty good information on crossing the border with a DUI/DWI.

Edit:
I see now they have removed everything and just posted a link to this site: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:Dwi.Or.Dui.Driving.Convictions.html
Thanks, but that trip advisor post was locked on Nov 2016. The new law I am referencing took effect in 2018
1675189509284.png

Contact Canadian consulate office. I believe it is possible to obtain an exemption for past offenses if applied for in advance. Saw that once on a Canadian border security reality show fairly recently. The guy had a very old break and enter conviction. Agent turned him back and advised him to apply for an exemption at consulate. For a single old DUI conviction I suspect it would not be a problem obtaining an exemption. For multiple DUI convictions it would probably be a wasted application.

There are millions of Americans with DUIs on their records, and I have a hard time believing that a hundred+ are not traveling into/through Canada daily. Sure would like to hear from someone whether or not they had any trouble.

There are millions of Americans with DUIs on their records, and I have a hard time believing that a hundred+ are not traveling into/through Canada daily. Sure would like to hear from someone whether or not they had any trouble.
Call the nearest Canadian consulate and ask them. Regs are changing all the time.

CBSA do not permit DUI convictions into their country, however, as with America, there are means to overcome criminal records that find a person inadmissible. As @OntarioHunter mentioned, contact the Canadian consulate or CBSA to find if options exist.

Amazing to think... U.S. has inadmissibility INA codes such as "Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude" and should, considering the criminal convictions it covers. However, if the criminal pays $585, it's incredibly likely it magically becomes a waiver of inadmissibility for the crime involving moral turpitude. It's horse dung.

Haha! Government bs. U.S. and Canada.

CBSA do not permit DUI convictions into their country, however, as with America, there are means to overcome criminal records that find a person inadmissible. As @OntarioHunter mentioned, contact the Canadian consulate or CBSA to find if options exist.

Amazing to think... U.S. has inadmissibility INA codes such as "Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude" and should, considering the criminal convictions it covers. However, if the criminal pays $585, it's incredibly likely it magically becomes a waiver of inadmissibility for the crime involving moral turpitude. It's horse dung.

Haha! Government bs. U.S. and Canada.
In Russia and Iran, among others, just being gay can get a person a criminal record. I don't have a problem with that kind of criminal record being waived. I think the crime wold be making gay visitors pay $585 to get it cleared up.

That's a stretch... Cheers though. If Iran offers a $585 waiver of inadmissibility for being gay, no further comment necessary.

Related to this thread, touch base with CBSA Get a person willing to adequately direct you, I've known a DUI to be overcome.

What if a guy got beat up by campus pd for taking a leak outside the bar and got slapped with a resisting charge for running away and because he needed to keep his dl?
Would this person be allowed in Whistler?
Asking for a friend.
What if your wheelchair-bound buddy's backpack full of bathroom supplies and running the pool table all night gets you gang choked by 6 bouncers as they drag you out of the busiest bar in Whistler up the stairs past the mile long line of people waiting to get in until you black out and wake up fighting to keep the cops from clamping the bracelets and then get batton choked into the drunk tank after refusing to sign the property form until they allow you to actually count your money (cause you're not  that drunk) and then instead of laying on the floor next to the puddle of piss you lament your fellow drunks to join you in a bongo session on the door until they for some reason just let you go in the morning hoping you forgot about your night of civil injustice at the hands of the mounties? Oh wait, they don't really care about that!

It seems all the stories of people being turned away are people driving across the border in a car. I have yet to hear of anyone turned away who was flying in
I know a fella who landed in Vancouver on a layover for a fishing trip up to the Skeena area and was denied entry then had to fly home.

A friend and I were stopped at the border. He had been charged, but not convicted, of a DUI years ago. It was a hassle with a lot of question in a small room while I sat and waited. They let him thru with no paperwork or fees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back