Caribou Gear Tarp

Anyone seen the Rivian vehicles?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
They will never report out the total carbon footprint, or cost to drive it. Just like the government refused to report the fact that ethanol was not cleaner for the environment because the tailpipe output was offset the same as the poor milage. Ethanol was and still is a farse.

Wonder how long it takes to charge on with a little Honda portable generator.
The 230 mile range version has a 105 kWh battery pack. A 2000 watt Honda generator has an output of ~1.6 kW. So...I'm guessing roughly 2-3 days to fully charge a drained system.

0-60 in 3 seconds is really handy in a 4x4. Especially for antelope hunting. mtmuley

Reactions: LCH
0-60 in 3 seconds is really handy in a 4x4. Especially for antelope hunting. mtmuley

There's a lot of truth to that. That would be a huge cultural change to rename the "V8 Sneak" to the "Kilowatt Sneak".

At 90 grand I think the odds are pretty high I'll be shopping Craigslist for a used Nissan or Toyota.

We do a lot of work for the utility industry and this may end up being a big driver in the retail electric market in the next 5 to 10 years. As the number of electric vehicles grows and grows the affect they have on the electric grid is going to be noticeable. Time of use electricity is going to happen at some point in my opinion. People will be able to set their vehicles up to charge in the middle of the night when electric use is lower to take advantage of the lower price. They may also be setting some of these up as a battery bank so they can knock some of the peak use power costs in the late afternoon early evening when the residential loads are the highest and the electricity cost would be at a premium. These are still more of a novelty right now, but as production on these grows into the millions it is going to be interesting to see how the power grid adjusts for them.
My brother bought a Tesla, what use to cost him $60 dollars to fill up his tank in his Camry now costs him $6 overnight. He changed his electric plan to a over night savings while he charges his car because he’s at work most of the day. I put down a deposit for the rivian but might cancel depending on what Tesla’s pick up looks like. The network of super chargers and proof of batteries lasting in a Tesla already is undeniable.

How many guys here can say they have 400k in miles and they’re engine is still 80% of what it was brand new

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/highest-mileage-tesla-now-has-over-420000-miles/amp/

My brother bought a Tesla, what use to cost him $60 dollars to fill up his tank in his Camry now costs him $6 overnight. He changed his electric plan to a over night savings while he charges his car because he’s at work most of the day. I put down a deposit for the rivian but might cancel depending on what Tesla’s pick up looks like. The network of super chargers and proof of batteries lasting in a Tesla already is undeniable.

How many guys here can say they have 400k in miles and they’re engine is still 80% of what it was brand new

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/highest-mileage-tesla-now-has-over-420000-miles/amp/

Jacob, I'm a big proponent of spending your money on what makes you happy, even if the dollars and cents don't always add up.

Having said that, have you figured up the long-term cost of ownership between a Rivian or similar and a gasoline truck? I mean, at $70k minimum for a Rivian, a lot more probably if you finance it, then the charging cost, compared to a $20k gas truck that gets 25 mpg? Not even considering the risk associated with buying a new, unproven product, the math just doesn't pencil out for me, especially when considering the limitations the battery only vehicles have.

Unless, of course, a Rivian is what you just really want, practicality aside. In that case buy the Rivian!

And you guys all told me that the new Jeep truck was a terrible hunting rig. But a $70k electric truck you have to modify your house to charge makes sense...:LOL:

Kidding aside, I do hope this technology or something better becomes more viable.

I just got back from a match that was a bit over 800 miles away. Do these trucks have that sort of range? Will I have to lay over to charge up? I saw exactly 0 charging stations along the way, albeit, I wasn't looking for them either.

Electric vehicles seem very limiting for anything but local commuting.

Jacob, I'm a big proponent of spending your money on what makes you happy, even if the dollars and cents don't always add up.

Having said that, have you figured up the long-term cost of ownership between a Rivian or similar and a gasoline truck? I mean, at $70k minimum for a Rivian, a lot more probably if you finance it, then the charging cost, compared to a $20k gas truck that gets 25 mpg? Not even considering the risk associated with buying a new, unproven product, the math just doesn't pencil out for me, especially when considering the limitations the battery only vehicles have.

Unless, of course, a Rivian is what you just really want, practicality aside. In that case buy the Rivian!

Average transaction prices for full size trucks is now at $49,562 so the $70,000 isn't as far as it seems.

I just did a 1600-mile round trip from Denver to Scottsdale and back, and I saw exactly TWO Teslas on the highway outside of the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area. I don't think E-vehicles are quite there on the road trip scale yet...

Wonder what happens to the batteries if you parked one outside in Shelby, Montana in the winter for a night or two? mtmuley

20 yrs ago we had a Ford Ranger that was battery powered for use around the park & such. Promo by Ford. 100 mi range. They took them back & started building v8s again.
We ran some propane trucks too, but the tanks filled 1/4 of the bed.
I remember reading back then how the batteries would be 1/4 the weight & have 400mi range. Cars & trucks. Solar panels in roofs.
Hydrogen engines....
Solar systems that are 2 containers & power a town of 1200,or a city block.
Remember the grid?
All of these things were in the works 25 yrs ago & we were told the costs would drop.
What happened?

Current Telsa Charging stations.

NE Montana is the biggest blank spot on the map. But if you stay close the interstate hwys you're pretty well set.

The thing with these electric vehicles is as of right now, the individual companies are installing their own charging stations. Hopefully someday there is a universal adapter or something.
Instead of going to the conoco or Shell and getting fuel, imagine going to the Ford Gas Station or the Jeep, Kia or Hyundai gas stations.

The thing with these electric vehicles is as of right now, the individual companies are installing their own charging stations. Hopefully someday there is a universal adapter or something.
Instead of going to the conoco or Shell and getting fuel, imagine going to the Ford Gas Station or the Jeep, Kia or Hyundai gas stations.

That may be necessary in the future, but it won't be sufficient. If it takes hours to "fill up", regardless of how universal charging stations become or how many there are, no one wants to wait for even more than a few minutes to reload and go again. This is the biggest problem in my opinion.

Wonder what happens to the batteries if you parked one outside in Shelby, Montana in the winter for a night or two? mtmuley

Probably not a darn thing I'm guessing. Lithium batteries are pretty stable. Or are you commenting on the people of Shelby?

That may be necessary in the future, but it won't be sufficient. If it takes hours to "fill up", regardless of how universal charging stations become or how many there are, no one wants to wait for even more than a few minutes to reload and go again. This is the biggest problem in my opinion.
The problem with you Millenials, everything has to be right now. :D According to Tesla filling stations, 0 - 100% in 75 minutes. I would assume not running it to zero will shorten that time.;)

I will stick with the "that is pretty amazing technology" over "that shit won't work" attitude, but I have always been a happy-go-lucky glass half full guy.

The problem with you Millenials, everything has to be right now. :D According to Tesla filling stations, 0 - 100% in 75 minutes. I would assume not running it to zero will shorten that time.;)

I will stick with the "that is pretty amazing technology" over "that shit won't work" attitude, but I have always been a happy-go-lucky glass half full guy.

You are pretty darn funny, calling me a millennial. I don't know any boomers, any depression babies or anyone else that has that sort of time to waste.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back