Anyone have a rectec grill

I'm no grillmaster but my dad and I both have previous versions of the 700 and have been very happy with them.

If I had a do over I'd get the RT-700....(have a similar sized Pit Boss)

I have the 590. 95% of the time it is big enough but occasionally I wish I had the 700. I guess it depends on what you like to make. Ironically it's usually doing the small things that fill it up, ie when i smoke a mess of chicken wings i have to get creative to get them to fit. Either way you go I don't think you can beat Rectec without spending double.

I do not but I have a few friends with them and they rave about them. Can go slow and low, and go high to sear.

I have the 700 and love the thing. Great quality and enough room to cook for quite a few.

I have the rt 700. I love it. The way it holds temp is amazing, even in the cold for us. I researched a lot of brands last year before buying and couldn’t be happier with my choice. Their customer service is top notch too.

I only have one complaint - The grill covers suck.
I agree with you there. However, I contacted them after 3 years asking if they sell patches or a way to repair my cover, and they just up and sent me a new one. Customer service is insanely good. Never needed it for anything major though.

I've had the RT-680 (now called RT-700?) for 7-8 years and use it year round. I had one igniter rod go bad in that time, otherwise it has worked well. The grill didn't originally come with the front folding shelf but I added it and it is a must have IMO. They also used to sell a fitted, insulated cover. In the cold of ND it helps keep the temperature more stable and I find I use less pellets. I agree with @Wind Gypsy that the standard grill cover is a POS.

My dad has the smallest model (340) and has been happy with it. I've done pulled pork on it several times and it does fine (for a pellet smoker). IMO recteq makes a good product, I'm just not a fan of pellet smokers in general. I prefer to do things the hard way and use a stick burner for smoking.

buddy of mine got the rec tec 350,,a little bit small for big meals,but perfect otherwise,,the heat settings are way more accurate than a treager,,he highly recomends

I have three, the 340, 590 and 700.

If you have plenty of room and you aren't trying to save a few bucks I'd got with the 700 for sure just for the ability to do large batches.

I make a lot of summer sausage and it would be a pain in the rear on the two smaller ones and also for large briskets or a if you were doing a bunch of pulled pork or something.

I think they are a LOT better than Traegers, I researched the hell out of them before buying.

My next one will be a Yoder however, they seem to be the super Cadillac of pellet grills.

I have three, the 340, 590 and 700.

If you have plenty of room and you aren't trying to save a few bucks I'd got with the 700 for sure just for the ability to do large batches.

I make a lot of summer sausage and it would be a pain in the rear on the two smaller ones and also for large briskets or a if you were doing a bunch of pulled pork or something.

I think they are a LOT better than Traegers, I researched the hell out of them before buying.

My next one will be a Yoder however, they seem to be the super Cadillac of pellet grills.
I looked at Yoder and know a couple people with them. They are nice but rust like crazy!!! I know it's a smoker not a sports car but I refuse to spend $2000 on grill that rusts so badly. If I were to go the next tier up I think I would do a MAK. They are not cheap and I don't particularly love the look, but they produce the best smoke profile of any pellet grill I have tried food from.

I looked at Yoder and know a couple people with them. They are nice but rust like crazy!!! I know it's a smoker not a sports car but I refuse to spend $2000 on grill that rusts so badly. If I were to go the next tier up I think I would do a MAK. They are not cheap and I don't particularly love the look, but they produce the best smoke profile of any pellet grill I have tried food from.
Duly noted, thanks for the tip! I keep mine in my garage at all times other than when I'm using it so maybe not quite as big of a concern in that case. I'll check out the MAK's for sure.

I'm thinking seriously of buying a recteq grill in the next month or two, and thought I'd send this thread back up to the top for another round of reviews.

This will be my first pellet grill. My main interest is build quality for a long lifetime, and recteq seems to get consistently high marks on that.

I don't get to cook for large groups, so I'm leaning toward either their RT-380 Bullseye or Patio Legend 410.

Any thoughts on those models, or recteq in general, would be appreciated.

I can't comment on those specific models. I've had the RT 590 since May. The grill has been great, no complaints with the functioning of it. My one complaint was getting it to connect to my WiFi so I could use the wireless features. I swear I went back and forth with their customer service for three months (off and on, not daily) before I got it to connect.

I live in a dry climate and keep it covered and tucked against my garage so it doesn't get exposed to the elements much. So far no signs of rust or anything like that.

I do like being able to dial in my temperature setting in 5 degree increments. I know some other brands only go in 25 degree increments. The large hopper capacity is nice for doing large cuts overnight (eg. brisket) and not having to worry about running out of pellets

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back