Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

15 F'n below this morning. As I got started off to work I was thinking just how much battery life/juice
are you going to use up in your elec car/truck just tryihg to get warm. And how many miles down the road might you get w/ what battery life is left? Throw in some snow.
#skeptical
My truck does not get warm until I am on the way home 20 minutes of driving later, electric heat would be instant, and no need to warm up the engine when it's cold.
There may be some upside to electric and cold weather.

I dont see any ev charguing stations out in the woods,,,no ev infastucture= these are just city dweller machines,,a big generator that runs on gas doesnt make this a zreo emission vehicle.its just a big golf cart.

My truck does not get warm until I am on the way home 20 minutes of driving later, electric heat would be instant, and no need to warm up the engine when it's cold.
My electric seats don't get warm until Im almost to work

My F350 has an auxiliary electric heater so I don't have to wait for the diesel to heat up. It still takes a few minutes, but much better than waiting when it's 10F outside.

My F350 has an auxiliary electric heater so I don't have to wait for the diesel to heat up. It still takes a few minutes, but much better than waiting when it's 10F outside.
My wife and I went with the same auxiliary heater option. It wasn't much $$ and well worth it. The heated seats also activate within minutes on our F250s also. No electric vehicles for us !

figure one of those bigger inverter generators would be the ticket. Have one of those in the bed run it for 8 hours an hopefully you got enough juice to get home haha. Bring extra gas.
Wouldn't that be kinda defeating the "no pollution" theme of the electric cars ?

So I drove an electric vehicle in California for a road trip with my family. We drove up and down the coast and here are my thoughts. Do give you some background I am full support of going electric in a truck or any of my vehicles, but I want to be honest.

1) Currently more and more energy producers are moving to renewable energies. So down the road it will likely be possible that EV will be more common
2) Some charging does occur while the vehicle is moving. This depends on braking and other things involved but there is some recharge. Not a lot but some
3) The charge varies a lot. on a normal charging station it can take up to 8-10hrs. Not very convienient for anyone who uses their vehicles for long trips. They do make supercharges but those charges can only charge to 80%. They can get you to 80% in a half hour but that is about has fast as it can take. Now Tesla makes faster charging stations but you'll also pay for that. Tesla connections do not work with regular electric vehicles
4) When doing the math the only time the cost makes since would be in states like California where they are paying nearly 2-3 dollars more then anywhere else. Most states it is still more cost effective with gas even at these high prices.....unless you always charge at home. With a truck that wouldn't be the case for me but it maybe for other people.

To summarize they have to fix the charging station rate and cost before they become somewhat useable. In addition they will need to expand those charging station across the nation. Again, I hope I can own one down the road but they have quite a few hurdles to get by before they become useful to most people on this forum.

Wouldn't that be kinda defeating the "no pollution" theme of the electric cars ?
Probably lol. Figure ill use less gas with the inverter generator then I would in my truck tho. Also little bit of security never hurt no one.

just think one day we can get rid of bullets and shoot the laser to kill our elk. Then we can talk for hours about what kind of laser we used and its range and killing power. Heck one day the laser will drop the game animal and not kill it just stun it and then we can decide to kill it or release it. The year 2050 is gonna be great.

just think one day we can get rid of bullets and shoot the laser to kill our elk. Then we can talk for hours about what kind of laser we used and its range and killing power. Heck one day the laser will drop the game animal and not kill it just stun it and then we can decide to kill it or release it. The year 2050 is gonna be great.
Clearly the 6.5 mm Creedmore lasers are the best for long range hunting.

Get em while you can

Hopefully my Grandson or Grandaughter gets my 1986 Chevrolet K20 4x4. Neither is born yet, but the truck will be here. mtmuley

Wasn’t long ago that I was wondering when the kids (5) would gift us one (grandchild) now after four in four years I’m telling them all to pump the brakes a bit lol

I'm curious if we have thought out securing the batteries and other things these EV's will require. From what I understand a lot of the batteries are made in China, which of course brings up discussions about national security. After what happened with the pandemic, I really hope politicians are thinking hard about not relying so heavily on the Chinese.

That also brings up the question of securing the raw materials for these batteries. A lot of it is mined in the Congo and there are certainly some human rights abuses taking place. I'm surprised the environmental community doesn't talk about this more.

So do we mine these minerals in the US? If so, where? Public lands? Will environmentalists go for mines that degrade water quality, fish populations, land, etc., but the product will ultimately go to EV's to combat climate change? I don't know, but the answer is more complicated than it seems.

Didn't mean to rant and change the subject, just something I've been thinking of lately!

I'm curious if we have thought out securing the batteries and other things these EV's will require. From what I understand a lot of the batteries are made in China, which of course brings up discussions about national security. After what happened with the pandemic, I really hope politicians are thinking hard about not relying so heavily on the Chinese.
Almost like someone thought of the same thing. Frickin' google machine is awesome.

That also brings up the question of securing the raw materials for these batteries. A lot of it is mined in the Congo and there are certainly some human rights abuses taking place. I'm surprised the environmental community doesn't talk about this more.

So do we mine these minerals in the US? If so, where? Public lands? Will environmentalists go for mines that degrade water quality, fish populations, land, etc., but the product will ultimately go to EV's to combat climate change? I don't know, but the answer is more complicated than it seems.

Didn't mean to rant and change the subject, just something I've been thinking of lately!
Amnesty International has exposed how cobalt mined by children in the DRC could be entering the supply chains of some of the world’s biggest electronic and electric vehicle brands, while in South America, lithium extraction posing risks to Indigenous peoples’ water resources.

Another consideration is over 75% of US electricity comes from carbon-based fuels, so electricity is not that "green". A tax credit on new homeowner solar panels might be a better US investment from that perspective.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back