Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

Okay, so it will handle 95% of most people's driving. What do they do for the other 5%? I have 21K on my truck. Over 8K has been on long trips. So I am running 38% on long trips where an EV will not work. O degrees is common here in the winter. I wonder what the range is at -20? Hybrid is tempting...but the price is too high and they don't configure it with options I want (ie cannot get a 36 gallon tank).

Was just getting my oil changed at the local Ford dealership this morning. They had 2 new F150s on the lot and 1 was a Lightening. MSRP was $69K and Selling price was $74K. It has been sitting there for over a month. In today's market. Hmmm.

It's funny how people look at this. The EV's are well suited for going to work, dropping kids at school, going to grocery store, etc.. Most people will charge at home, not at public chargers. Most people do not drive 250+ miles per day so the capacity would not apply to most situations. But for some reason folks really cling to those to factors.

Right now the technology is well suited for 95% of the running around most people do. If you want to take road trips it better be a Tesla.

For me a basic Lightning with 250 mile range will handle 99% of the driving I do. All the town stuff and running to FoCo, Cheyenne, Saratoga, etc.. It won't work for road trips in Wyoming, or towing a trailer.

The reality is people do most of their driving within 100 miles of home. That's where EV's really shine IMO.
Very true but Ford and other EV truck manufacturers are walking a risky path of overpromising and likely under delivering on those traditional truck roles from an EV. By doing so, they are presenting to the public and politicians the justification to make it difficult to build, buy, or service actual useful work/hauling/off-road vehicles since it is reduced to merely a “choice.” Why do EV vehicles need folks to exaggerate their capability? Manufacturers, and fans, seem to have an agenda to defend them from obvious and very practical criticisms. Whether its 5% of the time, or 25% or more, needing to have TWO vehicles to do what 1 could do before would be a HUGE issue for most people, don’t you think? Manufactures should defend the traditional light truck sector WHILE developing EV, but many people (politicians) seem to want to skip a step and jump right to a future where ICE vehicles are obsolete. This is affecting ICE now, with agressive weight shedding potentially affecting durability of components, engine alterations to achieve unrealistic fuel economy, excessive computerization, etc. ICE may one day be legislated to be replaced by EV, but until performance of their functions and roles are actually fully met, it would be unwise to gloss over the gulf in “field performance. I expect it to be ICE for me for as long as it’s possible to hold out. Hopefully at least 30 more years.

Okay, so it will handle 95% of most people's driving. What do they do for the other 5%? I have 21K on my truck. Over 8K has been on long trips. So I am running 38% on long trips where an EV will not work. O degrees is common here in the winter. I wonder what the range is at -20? Hybrid is tempting...but the price is too high and they don't configure it with options I want (ie cannot get a 36 gallon tank).
Sounds like it is not for you? I vote for not getting one for yourself.

Whole crap load of vehicles that don't work for me. My solution? I don't get one. :D

Was just getting my oil changed at the local Ford dealership this morning. They had 2 new F150s on the lot and 1 was a Lightening. MSRP was $69K and Selling price was $74K. It has been sitting there for over a month. In today's market. Hmmm.
It's a free country so everyone gets to choose. If you prefer to use a newer ICE pickup for all your driving go for it.

A lot of people have 2 vehicles so having one that is an EV will likely be popular.

For me I am keeping my 3/4 ton diesel for road trips, bad weather, and hauling trailers which I only do maybe 25 days a year. It's not well suited for a daily driver, oversized for most tasks, takes forever to warm up, hard to find parking spots, but is comfortable for trips. Then I will drive the EV 340 days a year charging at home.

My guess is we start seeing a lot more small electric pickups/SUV/car where folks have a cheaper EV to run around town in while keeping an ICE vehicle.

The new 30k Chevy bolt SUV is likely going to be popular.

As far as your experience with having a Lightning that won't sell supposedly each dealer is getting one and they have to keep it for test drives. It would not make sense for there to be 150k people waiting on a truck that can be bought off a lot. There has to be more to that story.

The really interesting part of EV's is how the folks who don't want them show up in the discussions. There is some psychology at work, reminds me of the coal people in Wyoming who think renewables are a fad.

So what do you figure the story is on the truck? You think dealers can't sell them?

I guess this will be the epitome of rolling the coal….
It's going to piss off the diesel guys when the EV pickups are faster. Same with the sports car guys. An electric honda civic will probably be faster than most ICE sports cars built in the last 50 years.

Very true but Ford and other EV truck manufacturers are walking a risky path of overpromising and likely under delivering on those traditional truck roles from an EV. By doing so, they are presenting to the public and politicians the justification to make it difficult to build, buy, or service actual useful work/hauling/off-road vehicles since it is reduced to merely a “choice.” Why do EV vehicles need folks to exaggerate their capability? Manufacturers, and fans, seem to have an agenda to defend them from obvious and very practical criticisms. Whether its 5% of the time, or 25% or more, needing to have TWO vehicles to do what 1 could do before would be a HUGE issue for most people, don’t you think? Manufactures should defend the traditional light truck sector WHILE developing EV, but many people (politicians) seem to want to skip a step and jump right to a future where ICE vehicles are obsolete. This is affecting ICE now, with agressive weight shedding potentially affecting durability of components, engine alterations to achieve unrealistic fuel economy, excessive computerization, etc. ICE may one day be legislated to be replaced by EV, but until performance of their functions and roles are actually fully met, it would be unwise to gloss over the gulf in “field performance. I expect it to be ICE for me for as long as it’s possible to hold out. Hopefully at least 30 more years.
My opinion is that reading you post there is a lot of psychology at work based on your reluctance to accept change and political paranoia. Fear of the future in simple term.

You are free to your opinion, but I can tell you EV's are the future, as is green hydrogen. Its' coming whether we like it or not.

Consumer needs drive the products we see on the market. MFG's make what they buy. Consumers want EV's, that much is obvious.

As far as your situation it would just come down to economics. Is driving a full size 50k+ ICE truck getting 15-20 MPG with $5 gas really the best plan for 100% of driving. Add in maintenance costs and it probably does not pencil out. But it's more complicated as trucks are part of peoples image, persona, status, etc..

I know when I look around the world it's not common for people to drive large vehicles like we do here. I think $3 gas made it possible but $4-5 gas makes smaller more efficient vehicles more popular.

Sounds like it is not for you? I vote for not getting one for yourself.

Whole crap load of vehicles that don't work for me. My solution? I don't get one. :D
Whew, that does it, the votes are now tabulated and with this vote I am keeping the old beater! :)

I do think its important for people to get out their pencil and really understand the $$ and limitations before they jump on the bandwagon.

An electric pickup meets most all of my needs. We already have an expedition for the family, my f250 that I use as a daily that is paid for.

Idk that electric is tempting. But man they are costly. Its so hard for me to spend that kind of money for something with 4 wheels.

I've got myself talked into buying a 1st gen raptor over Christmas, but honestly ill probably talk myself out of it by then. I live 10 mins from work I'm not to worried about economy and they hold my family of 5 comfortably.

That 600-700 dollar car payment (cause you know they dont have money for a down payment) equals out to a lot of gas. cost for 4 wheels and a motor is really out of control.

An electric pickup meets most all of my needs. We already have an expedition for the family, my f250 that I use as a daily that is paid for.

Idk that electric is tempting. But man they are costly. Its so hard for me to spend that kind of money for something with 4 wheels.

I've got myself talked into buying a 1st gen raptor over Christmas, but honestly ill probably talk myself out of it by then. I live 10 mins from work I'm not to worried about economy and they hold my family of 5 comfortably.

That 600-700 dollar car payment (cause you know they dont have money for a down payment) equals out to a lot of gas. cost for 4 wheels and a motor is really out of control.

Anymore, without going *very* used, good luck finding a truck that's not going to run you into that $6-700/month payment. The below ~$98K F150 with the traditional V8 should tell all of us that. The cheapest "New" truck on the lot in Bozeman right not is $57k.

Electric or not, new vehicles are very expensive.

Reading through the thread, I laugh at the same guys ponying up the extra $$$ for a diesel, then turning around and hating on the additional cost of electric even though it might fit someone's needs better, just like the diesel met their needs/desires better. To each their own.

If we want to debate a serious topic- how impractical are split level houses??? People who buy those are.... 🤦‍♂️

Anymore, without going *very* used, good luck finding a truck that's not going to run you into that $6-700/month payment. The below ~$98K F150 with the traditional V8 should tell all of us that. The cheapest "New" truck on the lot in Bozeman right not is $57k.

Electric or not, new vehicles are very expensive.

Reading through the thread, I laugh at the same guys ponying up the extra $$$ for a diesel, then turning around and hating on the additional cost of electric even though it might fit someone's needs better, just like the diesel met their needs/desires better. To each their own.

If we want to debate a serious topic- how impractical are split level houses??? People who buy those are.... 🤦‍♂️
dont forget about the 1000$ car payment they make every month for the new diesel. 🤮 just to put 6$ per gallon fuel in it. Keeping up with the jones is a real thing.

It's going to piss off the diesel guys when the EV pickups are faster. Same with the sports car guys. An electric honda civic will probably be faster than most ICE sports cars built in the last 50 years.
Nobody cares about being faster. I’m progressive….I’ll progress to the gas station to get some fuel like normal. Nothing better than seeing a train load of electric car fuel traveling across Wyoming.

An electric car will be a top contender when we replace our Honda CRV. Primarily for shorter drives commuting and running errands around town. But that might be a while as the CRV has 160k miles on it and it might be another 5+ yrs before it hits 200k.

We need nuclear energy before we can consider replacing all ICE vehicles with electric. Frankly would should of switched to entirely nuclear energy 20 years ago.

We need nuclear energy before we can consider replacing all ICE vehicles with electric. Frankly would should of switched to entirely nuclear energy 20 years ago.
Virtue is legal political tender my friend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back