Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

lifeisgoodsteve

With gas prices pretty brutal nowadays wondering if anyone's tempted?

With a 300 mile range though, wouldn't be too practical for longer trips to hunting areas. Also, they're launching with the 5.5ft bed and would certainly prefer 6'+ for easy sleeping.

The frunk (front truck) is huge though and would be very cool for daily life and local hunting, plus the price point seems more reasonable than the other electric truck options coming out.

Cheers,

s

I'm curious with said fossil fuel increases, how is that transferring to costs of electricity? As things currently are i believe the majority of electricity is produced using fossil fuels so......

And as you mentioned how frequent are charging stations out here in the "wild" west?

I dont know jack about EV's but quick question. How long does it take to recharge when you reach the end of those 300 miles? You have to sit around waiting for 10hrs for it to charge again?

IF you can even find one of those magical charging stations.

I'm likely to go electric on the next vehicle purchase (which should be in about 5years). The Ford is the leading contender, at least aesthetically.

There's a lot of funding in the infrastructure bill for new EV charging stations and other EV related infrastructure necessary to improve charging capacity across the US. I'm waiting for that to catch up to the vehicle design. I think that within that 5 years, we're going to see a lot of shifting from internal combustion to EV. Hertz is planning on 100,000 EV units for their fleet and the US Gov't is likely to head in this direction as well. That's a huge market shift. Likely, there will be increased tax incentives as well.

Not Yet. But i know our Air Reg board is going to make our forklifts have to go electric soon. And complying withthe deisel emission regulations means we may well buy a non diesel big rig in 10 years.

Noooopppeeeee. I can go 400 miles in my truck with a tank of gas, then I can stop at a gas station, rock a piss, buy some "healthy" snacks, gas the truck up and keep rolling. Would you trust it in bad weather up a treacherous mountain road? Or like MTTW said... what's the range at 0 degrees?

The only people these electric vehicles will benefit is people who who are 1. old and don't do much or go any far distances, and 2. people who spend money to try to stay on the front of technology, no matter how poor it really is!

I am curious about the answer to the question on how long it takes to charge. That is really a big consideration on any trip and would be a complete deal breaker. Just like the 5.5 foot box is a deal breaker.
Depends on the capacity of the charging station, not the time it takes to fill up a tank with current tech.

@Ben Lamb I think we will as well. Maybe one EV and a then a second road trip/ adventure vehicle that’s a hybrid.

Likely no. I wouldn't mind a small EV for shorter trips and around town, etc. I wonder what the range is fully laden, in 4Lo, and below freezing? Also, how about pulling a trailer?

Range:
- I've seen tests of other EV where the range cut to about half when towing to full rating but don't know about the Ford.
- Cold weather and steep hills also lowered range notably, but of they do get a good bit of miles back on the way down other side...as long as you make it to the top

Charge Speed:
- Tesla looks like about 200 miles in 15 minutes which is not bad, but seems like the rest of mfr and charge networks notably slower. Ford mentioned 15%-100% in 41minutes which would make it pretty much a no go for anyone who'd need it for multiple charge distances, unless they really enjoy road trip food for long meal breaks every few hours.

Where I live, electricity is very cheap as it's a co-op and a lot generated from hydro. At $.06-.08 per kwh it would be a small fraction of "fuel" cost vs. diesel/gas, so it is tempting for daily life and local hunting.

I'd still have to keep my 3/4 ton longbed diesel for long tows and trips as I don't think I'll ever get rid of that.

I'm likely to go electric on the next vehicle purchase (which should be in about 5years). The Ford is the leading contender, at least aesthetically.

There's a lot of funding in the infrastructure bill for new EV charging stations and other EV related infrastructure necessary to improve charging capacity across the US. I'm waiting for that to catch up to the vehicle design. I think that within that 5 years, we're going to see a lot of shifting from internal combustion to EV. Hertz is planning on 100,000 EV units for their fleet and the US Gov't is likely to head in this direction as well. That's a huge market shift. Likely, there will be increased tax incentives as well.

As Ben noted, increased credits may be coming, but even with existing ones there are some nice incentives as new trucks are so expensive in general nowadays.
  • $7500 existing tax credit which may increase (per Ben's link)
  • Possible accelerated depreciation (check w tax expert!) - since it's over 6k lbs I THINK with the 5.5ft bed it could qualify for $26,000 first year depreciation if it's a business vehicle. If they release a 6.5ft bed, I may be wrong, but think it would qualify for the 100% depreciation in the first year, which is significant. Again, I'd check w tax expert first.
Take these off estimated $50k-$55k (work truck trim with large battery) and it's a little more reasonable for a new rig.

As a hunter though, with the limitations discussed, just hard to imagine being able to own one now as your sole vehicle.

Nope. How is one supposed to go on a long trip with one of those electrics?? I usually drive out in a day and its usually a 10-14 hour drive. Not going to do that in an electric and pull a trailer and then throw in the cold??? Not happening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back