Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Anybody mess around with hand loading sub-sonic rounds for bolt action rifles?

I haven't. What I have found though, having loaded lots of reduced loads for my kids, is that with H 4895, once I get down to a certain point (still supersonic), the cases stop expanding fully and it gets really messy.

I'd look into Hodgdon Trail Boss. Maybe you could get subsonic with heavy bullets? Hodgdon has a procedure on their website for reduced loads with Trail Boss (and H4895 mentioned above).

I did a QuickLoad geek-out on this. Its harder than you would think with the 6.5CM and canister propellants.

I found some recipes right around 50% load density that got me to 1100 (barely sub-sonic) fps with a 20 inch barrel and a 156 grain bullet. Those all burnt less than 48% of the charge. That means the bad guys might not hear you, but they will see that huge muzzle flash. Pressures listed are all well below 10k psi.

At 1100fps the 156 grain 6.5mm bullet delivers 420 ft/lbs of energy.

You're are definitely in Kapok territory to avoid flash-overs.

Never messed with it. If I was going to try anything subsonic it would be a .300 blackout or a .308. Are you thinking of just playing around with it or did you have a specific use in mind? Do you have a suppressor?

I have a few suppressors and handload. Just was intrigued by the article - solution looking for a problem I suppose ;). Thought others might have a useful starting place if I choose to dabble.

But if you slow them down, then they won't pass through and they will dump all the energy like you prefer.
Yeah, energy dump. Kills faster than hydrostatic shock. I've shot elk with my RUM and the bullet probably dumped energy in the dirt 100 yards away. But, my bullets don't penetrate then explode. mtmuley

I fooled around with 180gr RN cast bullet's in my 30-06 and 308 for awhile. Used Red Dor powder and I'd bet they would kill an animal with a wellplaced shot as dead as any animal.

A subsonic centerfire would fill a niche for me, I think... A bolt or single shot 357 or 44 Mag, with super heavy, flat nosed bullets shot subsonic through a suppressor would be a coy way to harvest a doe or two while not really disturbing things while waiting for a buck. That said, I have other "holes" to fill before that one.

A friend of mine has a .300 Blackout in an AR platform, with a supressor. He loads subsonic ammo for it, but I have no idea what he uses. That is a weird gun to shoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back