PEAX Equipment

Anybody gearing up for spring snow goose?

I went to AR from Feb 18-21 on a guided trip. We were supposed to hunt all 4 days but shot 2 birds the first day over 1500 silo's and then it rained 4+ inches starting early Tuesday morning. Laying on backboards in windy 30 degree weather in mud didn't sound like much fun and the guides didn't want to hunt either. We drove 10 hours home Wednesday morning with 2 birds. Plenty of birds to see not many to shoot at.
Pic was taken late November just a couple of hours west of Columbus. If you want next year we can set up for Canada's and see what happens?

View attachment 102158
Pic was taken late November just a couple of hours west of Columbus. If you want next year we can set up for Canada's and see what happens?
Let me know I’m always wanting to chase birds. It seems impossible to secure permission around Columbus though.

I went to AR from Feb 18-21 on a guided trip. We were supposed to hunt all 4 days but shot 2 birds the first day over 1500 silo's and then it rained 4+ inches starting early Tuesday morning. Laying on backboards in windy 30 degree weather in mud didn't sound like much fun and the guides didn't want to hunt either. We drove 10 hours home Wednesday morning with 2 birds. Plenty of birds to see not many to shoot at.

That is brutal. Did the guides refund a portion for the days you didn’t hunt?

I went with a group for three years in a row and averaged the same results,.that was enough for me. I hunt ducks geese all fall and had some tough luck this year which doesn't bother me. I just can't justify the extra cost of traveling to do it. Good luck to all of you chasing them this spring!!

I went with a group for three years in a row and averaged the same results,.that was enough for me. I hunt ducks geese all fall and had some tough luck this year which doesn't bother me. I just can't justify the extra cost of traveling to do it. Good luck to all of you chasing them this spring!!
I have a hard time finding a group to go with around me and getting access has been very difficult. I try and travel so I have more access and more opportunities.

I have tons of permission here in IA and 2 buddies with me combined we have 60 dozen socks. Going to give it a go again this year.

Flew into Wichita this morning and the first thing I saw when we went below the clouds was a flock of those white devils. No snow and open water round these parts.

Last edited:
Flocks of snows/blues have moved up into to central Iowa earlier this week following warm weather and melting of snow-covered fields. Have not seen/heard any specks yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Man my plan is April 13 in North Dakota. I was thinking that would be good now I’m worried they’re gonna be through by then. I’m just such a worrier

Moved our first trip of the season to first week of April.. Driving to mid ND and making either a left or a right. Looks like it’s melting fast. Saw a lot of fields yesterday in eastern mt that are getting pretty close to dirt already.

Man... PSA about storing socks. I pulled all mine out storage and took them out of the bags and the mice had only tore up 5-6 socks but there was feces and urine all over so sprayed the bad ones with Lysol.

Def will be storing them with poison from now on.

Can't seem to get the clip to play Mr. Miller.
Yeh, I don't know what I am doing with video clips. If you hover over my name in the southwest corner, it will link you to where the video can be viewed. Not great video, but I am learning.

That worked. Kind of loud when you get that many together.

I was just talking with a guy that I know does some waterfowl hunting and he said he wasn't going to do a "conservation hunt" this year.

I had never heard of a "conservation hunt" so I asked about it and was surprised. I had heard some discussion about climbing numbers of snow geese causing problems in the Arctic, I guess conservation hunts are the solution.

He said they have been effective enough that they shortened the season this year.

That worked. Kind of loud when you get that many together.

I was just talking with a guy that I know does some waterfowl hunting and he said he wasn't going to do a "conservation hunt" this year.

I had never heard of a "conservation hunt" so I asked about it and was surprised. I had heard some discussion about climbing numbers of snow geese causing problems in the Arctic, I guess conservation hunts are the solution.

He said they have been effective enough that they shortened the season this year.

Technically, it isn’t a hunt, as anything before Sep 1 and after Mar 10 can’t be. He was right about why it was instituted, however, he was wrong about its effectiveness.

The conservation order did work in the Atlantic Flyway. They were able to level greater snow goose numbers off at sustainable levels with continued use of the conservation order.

However, it hasn’t been effective in the Mississippi and Central flyways. Snow goose harvest rates have declined from 10-11% when the CO was first implemented (late 90s) to about 3% now. Even with 3 failed hatches in the last 5 years the population is just stable.

Changes to the season in Texas are likely a result of a shift in wintering birds away from Texas to Arkansas. Hoping reduced CO pressure would actually get geese to return to Texas.

I always end up shooting a pile from my deck. The dog watches out the sliding door and when he starts getting excited i put my coffee down and grab the shotgun. My best shoot from the deck was a morning 2 years back , I stacked 34 of them up and never even put pants on. My dog was loving it.

I'm more of an opportunist snow goose hunter than a real snow goose hunter.

Man my plan is April 13 in North Dakota. I was thinking that would be good now I’m worried they’re gonna be through by then. I’m just such a worrier

You might start worrying, sounds like they are just breaking in to ND. We are going next week and I am starting to worry.. birds are moving crazy fast this year. Such a strange fall and now a strange spring.. best of luck..

Back