Anybody gearing up for spring snow goose?

NR_Hunter

I’m hoping to get out for a long weekend this spring at some point, of spring ever arrives. Its gonna be a muddy mess in the Dakotas and my buddy who usually brings a borrow 4-wheeler with us decided he’s done with snow goose hunting, can’t blame him to be honest. Gonna be a slog carrying 1k socks out into the field, but I’m addicted to the white.

Anyone else plan on getting after them?

Oh yeah! I have been itching to get after them in western NE for over two weeks but so far they have not made an appearance. It looks like it might be another week or two before they arrive in good numbers. I'm sure when the season closes on April 5th there will still be plenty around!

I think that I'll write off this year. I thought last year was late for the season.... this year is going to be just as bad. I love hunting them and being outside (with that stated), the hunting has been tough because of the lack of juveniles. I'll just go to Pittsburgh for the NCAA wrestling tourney.

As a former college wrestler, that would be a tough decision to make between the two.

I hate that I’m even debating going snow goose hunting or not, but it’s really hard to find people willing to go and be muddy and miserable for what might amount to be just and handful of birds.

Muddy and miserable...handful of birds...sounds like most duck/goose hunts I go on. :confused:

2-3 trips starting last week of March in SD and finishing up mid April in ND. Just picked up another 30 dozen silos, 10 dozen full bodies, 2 2arm machines, 3 clones and I built another 4 speaker call. Total we will be running about 100 dozen decoys. First trip will be to wherever the birds are. Lot of guys south saying it’s a tough year.

I haven’t hunted snows in the spring in four or so years usually busy trapping. This year I am going to try to pass shoot a few. I have a pup who’s first season was last fall so wouldn’t mind getting him on some birds

Muddy and miserable...handful of birds...sounds like most duck/goose hunts I go on. :confused:

Yah same but in the fall atleast I only have 2 dozen duck floaters to pick up after a muddy miserable hunt.

My one buddy who called it quits is one of the more hardcore hunters I know, but last spring it was April 1st in central SD and it was 11 degrees out. We ended up moving fields 3 times in 4 days and had 7 birds by the end of it. I think the lack of success and ability to produce a good pile pic for IG broke him.

Oh yeah! I have been itching to get after them in western NE for over two weeks but so far they have not made an appearance. It looks like it might be another week or two before they arrive in good numbers. I'm sure when the season closes on April 5th there will still be plenty around!

How far west in NE do the birds fly? I’ve only hunted the Rainwater Basins for snows and it was kind of absurd the amount of snow geese that go through there. More than I’ve seen concentrated in SD or ND.

We used to hunt eastern NE but had better luck, with fewer birds, in western NE. There are huntable numbers as far west as Brush or Ft. Morgan, CO. Some guys do well just an hour or two outside of Denver if the conditions are right.

Won't be hunting them, but I saw upwards to 500 of them flyover my place yesterday.

How far west in NE do the birds fly? I’ve only hunted the Rainwater Basins for snows and it was kind of absurd the amount of snow geese that go through there. More than I’ve seen concentrated in SD or ND.
Yep been there too. The Rainwater Basin is one of those staging areas, so lots of birds. Other areas are the Missouri around Yankton and the Aberdeen area.

Hunted around before Aberdeen/Sand Lake as well, lots of snow geese but lots of hunters and guided outfits. Was tough getting access out that way. I got a sunburn around St Patty’s day that year, don’t think that’s gonna happen in 2019.

I went to AR from Feb 18-21 on a guided trip. We were supposed to hunt all 4 days but shot 2 birds the first day over 1500 silo's and then it rained 4+ inches starting early Tuesday morning. Laying on backboards in windy 30 degree weather in mud didn't sound like much fun and the guides didn't want to hunt either. We drove 10 hours home Wednesday morning with 2 birds. Plenty of birds to see not many to shoot at.

Back