MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anybody else find this suspicious?

I have 0 LEO or military firearms training. The guy in the article said his training told him to drop his shotgun, reach under his jacket, and deploy his handgun. Is that consistent w LEO weapon training? I envision him walking toward pointing dogs, ready to shoulder his double @ the flush.

I have 0 LEO or military firearms training. The guy in the article said his training told him to drop his shotgun, reach under his jacket, and deploy his handgun. Is that consistent w LEO weapon training? I envision him walking toward pointing dogs, ready to shoulder his double @ the flush.
Having both, I would say that he may have dropped the shotgun when startled and then reacted as trained. Not knowing how far away the cat was when it all started it is hard to say anything about reaction time. What puzzles me is the cat sticking around and making a move with dogs there...? Perhaps it had kits around or a medical issue.

Having both, I would say that he may have dropped the shotgun when startled and then reacted as trained. Not knowing how far away the cat was when it all started it is hard to say anything about reaction time. What puzzles me is the cat sticking around and making a move with dogs there...? Perhaps it had kits around or a medical issue.

this would be my guess as well

I’ve shot handguns since I was around 13 years old, and did a short time in law enforcement, if he dropped the shotgun to draw and use his handgun on an attacking mountain lion....he was overcome by a case of “aggravated stupidity”! memtb

You made me think. Dropping the shotgun if startled, could happen.

A LEO would be much more comfortable with a pistol. Carry every day.

My suspicion is that wouldn't the cat go for the dogs? If I had a cat at 10 yards, I would shoot the cat. Give the shooter a pass as he did what he had to do. If he had not, he might be dead.

If the story really went down as stated, the cat probably wasn't going for anyone. Just going to get out of there which happened to be in his direction - perhaps. Lots of folks, myself included, have been "charged" by javelina for the same reason. But whatever. He shot it with a handgun, and I say BS to the drop the shotgun for a handgun bit. Not even an LEO would do that. Nor could he do it fast enough if it went down as he said and he was at all close to his pointing dog.

But this is all just internet speculation which is worth slightly less than y'all payin' for it.

Maybe its just me, but I would feel a million times better with a full magazine (15 to 18 rounds) of 9mm with a cat closing in on me. 2 barrels of birdshot and the likelihood of not being able to reload and I probably would dropped the shotgun too in favor of the handgun.

Last edited:
Interesting, just going to share my 1 experience with a Mountain Lion. Riding down a trail, decided to turn around, went around the corner and there was a cat standing in the trail 15 seconds after I just went by. Drove right up to it, it just stepped off the trail. Drove right up 10 yards from it and got a short video clip of the mountain lion for the nay sayers. Lions are not scared what so ever of anything in my opinion.
Matt

Lions don’t charge like bears. Typically they’ll come from blind side. Bears will charge to show dominance and usually back off ( maybe not grizzly) a lion plans to eat eat you. Period. Other than a big bear they have no natural enemy. They kill whatever they want.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back