Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Anybody else find this suspicious?

Served on quite a few shooting review boards, I’m surprised when everything goes well. Two or three shots bad guy goes to hell, cop goes home EOW. Never surprised by how the heck or why the heck that happened questions. Glad his dogs are ok, him too.

I have been in Law Enforcement for close to 50 years. Started in New Orleans (PD) in 1971. I was always taught your shoulder weapon (Patrol Rifle, shotgun) is your primary weapon, and your sidearm is your backup (secondary) weapon. The shoulder weapon is usually more effective against a threat, and a charging threat (animal, etc) would likely be deterred/stopped better by the shoulder weapon, even a shotgun with birdshot which is very effective at close range. I am a POST Firearms Instructor with my S.O. and was also an Instructor with the NOPD.
Our patrol rifle/shotgun qualification course includes a transition phase where the shoulder weapon (rifle/shotgun) is "clicked" on an empty chamber simulating a malfunction or empty weapon, then you transition to your handgun and fire two rounds at the target. Time limit is two seconds for two pistol shots (from the time your target turns to face you until it turns away). No telling what the hunter was experiencing during the time, but I doubt I would throw down my "thunder and lightning" (shotgun), and try to draw a holstered pistol and fire at a closing threat with less effective firepower. Maybe his training as a Military Police Officer was more pistol oriented than a shoulder weapon, so that is where his training kicked in.

With military and tactical training - I’ll echo what others are saying that he must have been in a handgun-only position and that’s all he trained. I cannot imagine dropping a shotgun or rifle to go for a handgun, but I was always running a rifle as primary. It must have been ingrained in him for a long time.

I certainly wouldn’t call carrying “paranoia”! I’ve lost 4 personal friends (5 if you count the wife of one victim) to murder. All but one of these people were far north of 60 at the time of their murders. The other was putting himself through college (Seminary) to be a minister! None were living a questionable lifestyle! I’ll “not” suggest that they all would have survived had they been carrying, but at least some of them would have had a chance!

Back in the early ‘80’s, at a nearby rural town shooting range....a visitor to the range was befriended by other members. After several visits, he was offered the opportunity to shoot one of the members firearms. He took-up the offer....promptly murdering 2 men.

It can happen anytime and anywhere! The graveyards are full of people, who that it wouldn’t happen to them! memtb

Well, since we are all beating this to death, my money is on his dog unexpectedly treed the cat.. He wanted to shoot it but without a tag and not wanting to tear up the hide, he shot it with the pistol and made up the story. Now, if a tag was required and he didn't have one, I wonder if they let him keep it. In most places, if you shoot an animal out of season in self defense, the state takes it away. What happened here? I would like to know.

Of course, that's all just speculation and probably not true, but what the heck. I like making up stories.

To clear up some of the posts on here, In North Dakota we do not need a tag for mtn lions, the season is open to residents that posses a furbearer license. There are two zones in the state, zone 1 is the Badlands region and that has a quota. The rest of the state is zone 2 which is open through the end of March, he was in zone 2 so as long as he had the license he's good to shoot the lion.

Well, since we are all beating this to death, my money is on his dog unexpectedly treed the cat.. He wanted to shoot it but without a tag and not wanting to tear up the hide, he shot it with the pistol and made up the story. Now, if a tag was required and he didn't have one, I wonder if they let him keep it. In most places, if you shoot an animal out of season in self defense, the state takes it away. What happened here? I would like to know.

Of course, that's all just speculation and probably not true, but what the heck. I like making up stories.
Tags not required in ND

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back