Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anybody else find this suspicious?

What’s so far fetched? Dude got startled and or scared and dropped what was in his hands. Drew his pistol which he has probably practiced a few thousand times and fired a shot(s). It should be a movement that is muscle memory for him. I know if I was expecting a bird to flush and a lion stepped out I would drop what was in my hands and then probably drop something in my underpants.

Here is what I will say: When shooting pheasant shot, I couldn't even kill a coyote at less than 5 yards with two shots.... I would make a very safe guess that a cat wouldn't be stopped by bird shot either unless you waited until they very last second...

Here is what I will say: When shooting pheasant shot, I couldn't even kill a coyote at less than 5 yards with two shots.... I would make a very safe guess that a cat wouldn't be stopped by bird shot either unless you waited until they very last second...

Ohhhh I wouldn't make that bet if I were you. 5 yds? Have you seen what a shotgun can do at 15 feet?

Say what you will, I'm speaking from direct experience with bird shot here. Can you guys say the same? I'm not taking about home defense rounds or buck shot here people, more like 6 shot, which is probably what the guy in the article was using.

I don’t even know why anyone is Monday morning quarterbacking this. None of you were there and he is allowed to harvest one regardless of the situation he presented.

I can wait for tag season to get here.

Say what you will, I'm speaking from direct experience with bird shot here. Can you guys say the same? I'm not taking about home defense rounds or buck shot here people, more like 6 shot, which is probably what the guy in the article was using.

One morning in my way out duck hunting I hit a deer. I had to put the deer down using steel 2’s, and did it at a distance of 2-3 yards. A little bit closer than 5 yards but not by much. Well... I’ve never been into blood ‘n guts, so I looked at the results just long enough to check my work, and it didn’t take much looking to know the deer was no longer suffering.

I have given free passes to coyotes out pheasant hunting tho because I didn’t feel comfortable shooting them with birdshot at 15-20 yards.

Last edited:
One morning in my way out duck hunting I hit a deer. I had to put the deer using steel 2’s, and did it at a distance of 2-3 yards. A little bit closer than 5 yards but not by much. Well... I’ve never been into blood ‘n guts, so I looked at the results just long enough to check my work, and it didn’t take much looking to know the deer was no longer suffering.

I have given free passes to coyotes out pheasant hunting tho because I didn’t feel comfortable shooting them with birdshot at 15-20 yards.
I don't know what size shot your pheasant hunting with but I'm guessing 5 or 6's and that will kill coyotes all day long at 30 yrds and even farther.

I don't know what size shot your pheasant hunting with but I'm guessing 5 or 6's and that will kill coyotes all day long at 30 yrds and even farther.
Youre probably right, but I guess I don’t hate coyotes enough to find out. I don’t like the thought of peppering an animal and letting it run off to die slow, even a coyote. I’m sure a neck shot would probably end things pretty quick tho.

Plus... I’m a Minnesota pheasant hunter... pop off on a coyote and I’m gonna scare off the one rooster in the whole section. Not worth it lolzzz

As would two parishioners in a Texas church yesterday morning.

I have seen the video. From the way the victim dropped, I am not sure birdshot was used by the gunman. Anybody have a source saying so? It sure looked like buckshot to me.

Its easy to armchair QB these situations. The important reminder in all of this (and the Texas church shooting) is to be ready and proficient with whatever you choose to use in a life threatening situation. Glad to live in a country where we can.

Last edited:

I saw my Uncle take down my cousin with a Dove load!!
I KNOW WHAT A SHOTGUN CAN DO!!!
It ain't pretty. 🔥

I'm glad there are threads like this one during these long cold winter days. They help me smile at work, which is typically reserved for the occasional birthday donuts on the counter.

Nope. But I sure would rather have a couple barrels of bird shot against a mnt lion than a mag full of 9mm.

THIS^

Plus: "I dropped my dad's 100-year-old double-barrel [shotgun]", what idiot drops a 100-year-old family heirloom shotgun in the dirt? I'd push my wife in front of the lion before I did that :ROFLMAO:

I too was on the phone while pheasant hunting this year, talking to a roofer. All of a sudden I heard the rattle of a rattlesnake! And of course the dogs found it too. I'm yelling at the dogs and kicking them away while still on the phone. Finally hung up, got the dogs away and went to shoot the snake. CLICK! What a time to find out I didn't have a shell in the chamber. Glad it wasn't a lion! My dad ended up shooting the snake. Turned out to be a bull snake.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back