Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Gosh, someone sure loves to talk about debt.
View attachment 318030
And no one wanted to listen. So here we are now, spending 1 trillion a year on interest on the debt. And the debt is growing at 1 trillion every 100 days. Do the math, it is growing at a 10.7% annual rate. Sounds like a problem to me.

So I have thrown in the towel now warning about the pending train wreck, cause it is now here. Time to focus on how to survive it.

george-bush-angry.gif

Attachments

• 1709673844747.png
    1709673844747.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
More selling than buying today.

Huge nothing burger. Oh darn, the market is back to where it was last Wednesday. Can go another 5% down and that's still a nothing burger. Doesn't it get tiring to always be negative on the market?

Huge nothing burger. Oh darn, the market is back to where it was last Wednesday. Can go another 5% down and that's still a nothing burger. Doesn't it get tiring to always be negative on the market?

when bitcoin can swing down 10% and be back to +5% faster than i can chow down a somethingburger it tickles me that folks even publish headlines about intraday price movement.

It was more of a post on the speculative volatile nature of bitcoin right now. It makes Las Vegas look like a conservative investing enviroment.

Seems to be more of an out of control spending problem and not so much a lack of tax revenue problem
Spending is also a part of the problem, but the article cited the 2017 TCJA and 2 earlier tax cuts as not paying for themselves; that is the tax cuts didn't generate sufficient economic activity to replace that dollar of taxes.. Can you offer evidence that they did? When you give a tax cut to someone who doesn't need it do they spend it on something that generates taxable economic activity? More than likely they buy shares of stock which IMO does nothing to stimulate economic activity.

Last edited:
Let's start with 2 big dogs. Social security and Medicare.
If they hadn't re-purposed the money they wouldn't have had to pony up when the inevitable shortage rears its ugly head. They need to start increasing the amount of withholding.

If they hadn't re-purposed the money they wouldn't have had to pony up when the inevitable shortage rears its ugly head. They need to start increasing the amount of withholding.
Good luck convincing the young working class and their employers, they need to raise their taxes. Most are smart enough to understand they won't see a dime of it.

Good luck convincing the young working class and their employers, they need to raise their taxes. Most are smart enough to understand they won't see a dime of it.

Good luck convincing young working class to save for retirement. You seem to have a lot more faith than I do in independent financial decision making of Americans.

Funny that CATO article is your proof. They can understand the NPV of all future liabilities of SS and Medicare but can't understand the NPV of paying 1% more in SS Tax or upping the limit on tax able income above the $168k?

Good luck convincing young working class to save for retirement. You seem to have a lot more faith than I do in independent financial decision making of Americans.

Funny that CATO article is your proof. They can understand the NPV of all future liabilities of SS and Medicare but can't understand the NPV of paying 1% more in SS Tax or upping the limit on tax able income above the $168k?
I have more faith in today's young working class, than today's federal government. I'll leave it at that.

It's THEIR future that they're investing in. There many younger workers who don't participate in company sponsored retirement plans so it's to their benefit to make sure that SS is solvent. Employers make it off of their backs as well so they shouldn't mind THAT much either. I know any number of older folks who told me that they'll never have a retirement and will work until they croak. Better to start early with small increases than to get hit with bigger ones later.

It's THEIR future that they're investing in. There many younger workers who don't participate in company sponsored retirement plans so it's to their benefit to make sure that SS is solvent. Employers make it off of their backs as well so they shouldn't mind THAT much either. I know any number of older folks who told me that they'll never have a retirement and will work until they croak. Better to start early with small increases than to get hit with bigger ones later.
There is no point in trying to make a rational argument. BHR just thinks government is bad. Like many Americans, he protests by sending unqualified people to represent him.

Like many Americans, he protests by sending unqualified people to represent him.

I dunno, there seem to be some real financial whizzes in Congress.

Too bad we cant just put Pelosi in charge of straightening out Social Security mess. Or at least have her invest it for us:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back