Caribou Gear Tarp

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Keep in mind that those cruise lines are NOT US domiciled companies. They may be cut off from any US government assistance if certain people in charge don't like their tax-avoidance strategy. You are walking a tightrope without the safety net on those.

100%. If anything I'd be looking long term on those and won't be getting in anytime soon, probably after they are back up and running and past the point of needing government assistance.

Edited to say: Plus, I'm small time, lol. If I throw $500 at those and lose it I have time to recover.

100%. If anything I'd be looking long term on those and won't be getting in anytime soon, probably after they are back up and running and past the point of needing government assistance.

Edited to say: Plus, I'm small time, lol. If I throw $500 at those and lose it I have time to recover.
Also remember that if they go bankrupt (depending on which form and where) equity owners can get zeroed out - and then a company with the same name but new shareholders can do the comeback without the earlier shareholders.

Amazon is already setting record highs again. Can you say 3k a share? Because I get it'll there before the year is up.

Tesla is also regained most of it's losses (though I honestly don't know why).

Tesla is not priced according to what they currently are, but what opportunities lie ahead (particularly energy storage tech). Wish I got in when they were in the $300s...

My understanding is that he doesn't try to time the market - he has his eyes set on a few target businesses or industries that he will buy into at the right price and is looking for that particular price to come to him, not the S&P500 or Dow.
He can say that all he wants but he bought banks at the bottom in 2008. He sold out of airlines now to better position himself for his next big purchase. He sold $1.8B in bonds now at a low rate to have cash to purchase. He’s positioning himself for a payday.

He didn't sell out of his holdings of Southwest and Delta. He's still owns some 80million shares of Delta. He pulled 15 million $... Not shares. That's a fraction of his ownership.

Edit... Apologies. The above was off the cuff recollection.
He still holds a substantial qty of Delta and Southwest. However, now his holdings place him under the radar, so to speak... (SEC 10% filing)
He, (BRK.B) sold 13m of his 73m shares of Delta.
And 2.5m of his 53m shares of Southwest.

He did an about face on his statement he would not sell positions of airline stocks just a month earlier when he picked up an additional 1m shares of DAL.

He's also reduced holdings in Apple and Wells Fargo. I fully agree with you as he staging himself to take advantage of the next dip.

He's getting primed for a buyer's market. It's further interesting about this bonds sale. I wasn't aware of that sale.
As I've mentioned, I believe he's a bottom hunter w/ a very keen focus, prime $ on heavily overweight companies.
He's looking for those *special buys on quality companies on the verge of... that would offer premium shares at reduced rate for bulk infusion of $... for a minimal "x" time frame.

Last edited:
What would the feds policy be if there wasn't 2 trillion in private Equity sitting on the side line?

What would the feds policy be if there wasn't 2 trillion in private Equity sitting on the side line?
Not sure that "sitting on the sidelines" is the proper way to think about it. PE has "dry powder", but its not like money in a savings account. It is callable capital. Investors have invested that money in something else more liquid. If a PE firm did a capital call, the institutional investor would need to sell something (public equities, bonds, etc) in order to send the money. I'm not sure how that would impact the Fed's calculation, if it would at all. It is just moving money from one "pocket" of the economy to another. Typically in these periods, PE activity tends to get locked up. Private debt funds might be more active, but some of the government programs will help. No one wants to borrow at 20% to stay afloat or sell an equity stake at an huge perceived discount. I certainly could be wrong, but the delay in information in that space makes it hard to see anything. I heard a lot of the early-stage firms drew from their credit lines very early. Maybe today's news on reopening plan will help determine what the future will look like.

Not sure that "sitting on the sidelines" is the proper way to think about it. PE has "dry powder", but its not like money in a savings account. It is callable capital. Investors have invested that money in something else more liquid. If a PE firm did a capital call, the institutional investor would need to sell something (public equities, bonds, etc) in order to send the money. I'm not sure how that would impact the Fed's calculation, if it would at all. It is just moving money from one "pocket" of the economy to another. Typically in these periods, PE activity tends to get locked up. Private debt funds might be more active, but some of the government programs will help. No one wants to borrow at 20% to stay afloat or sell an equity stake at an huge perceived discount. I certainly could be wrong, but the delay in information in that space makes it hard to see anything. I heard a lot of the early-stage firms drew from their credit lines very early. Maybe today's news on reopening plan will help determine what the future will look like.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Makes perfect sense.

I should framed my question better, because honestly what I wrote didn't articulate what I was thinking well at all.
My thinking as been that we came into this situation with a large percentage of companies balance sheets overly leveraged. Traditional credit markets may not be able to fill that void and add the amount liquidity these companies will need in this current situation. I have to think think that feds policy is designed to move that "sidelined " money into the credit market. "

Here is an article that explains it better then I can.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Makes perfect sense.

I should framed my question better, because honestly what I wrote didn't articulate what I was thinking well at all.
My thinking as been that we came into this situation with a large percentage of companies balance sheets overly leveraged. Traditional credit markets may not be able to fill that void and add the amount liquidity these companies will need in this current situation. I have to think think that feds policy is designed to move that "sidelined " money into the credit market. "

Here is an article that explains it better then I can.
Good read. A little technical for this forum The author uses the term "liquidity" in a way I wouldn't. They mean cash to fund operations, as in "My business model went to shit and I need liquidity to stay afloat". These companies drew on their credit lines. Those leverage loans (bank loans) are immediately senior to everything else in the capital structure. A new lender would have to come in at a junior level/lien (which the author suggests the Fed/Government should do). Back to my original description, if the business model is bad, being in a junior lien is a bad idea. So maybe the question for the Private Debt market is how to prop up these companies and hope there is another sucker that will refinance the debt in 12 months when we get back to something that resembles normalcy. I think you are correct in assuming they will try, because they get paid to call capital and make those loans and investors are legally obligated to fund the capital call. The result may not be great though, because the EBITDA valuations were mostly BS to begin with and adding more debt on the balance sheet doesn't help. I wouldn't touch a small-mid energy company. Those are DOA. But I guarantee I can give you names of PE/PD companies you could call to take your money and they will give you a great sales pitch on how this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Man I'm taking a whooping on Hertz. It's dragging down the other things I am up on. Should have just bought more Amazon or Clorox

Shoot that stinks. I have been eyeballing Hertz as well- possibility of tremendous rise, but just can’t get past the fact that they don’t pass the “is this a good company with a good product/competitive advantage” litmus test. They need a bailout or they are screwed.

I am top-heavy with medical company stocks (as it’s what I know best)- as a whole that sector is only down a few percent on the year after today’s gains, which defies logic considering treatment volumes have cratered. Either they know things will start back up in the next six weeks or so, or they are set to drop quite a bit. Fingers crossed for the former rather than the latter.

feel good moment before the c-19 cases bump up after cities open up due to the pandemonium subsiding?... sure looks nice... not sure how long it will last...

feel good moment before the c-19 cases bump up after cities open up due to the pandemonium subsiding?... sure looks nice... not sure how long it will last...
Not sure. We all know a lot of businesses are going to go under. But printing a ton of money is the only reason this is happening in the market. It is Madness. At least Hertz is up 21% TODAY

Not sure. We all know a lot of businesses are going to go under. But printing a ton of money is the only reason this is happening in the market. It is Madness. At least Hertz is up 21% TODAY

And we all know a lot of businesses are going to adapt, change, and do better. Businesses start and fold all the time and now, more than ever, no business is too small, or too big to fail.

The sky didn't fall...and with things starting to reopen, it wont anytime soon.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back