Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Lots of attention on First Republic Bank which is due to report on Monday, April 24. There is a lot riding on this one so keep an eye on it—the banking issues are not over.

Hang in there.

The earnings calendar is loaded next week, with heavyweights reporting in every sector. All told, about 35% of the companies in the S&P 500 Index will spill numbers next week. Some of the key reports include updates from Credit Suisse (CS) preview, Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO) preview, Microsoft (MSFT) preview, Alphabet (GOOG) preview, Altria (MO) preview and Amazon (AMZN) preview. While the earnings season is off to a relatively solid start, concerns over the impact of inflation, high interest rates, and a potential U.S. recession are still very much in the mix. Economic releases of note in the week ahead include consumer confidence and new home sales on April 25, durable goods orders on April 26, and the closely-watched employment cost index on April 28. Federal Reserve members will be out on the speaking circuit on Monday before the blackout period begins in advance of the FOMC meeting on May 2-3. On the political front, the House may vote on a bill that would raise the U.S. debt limit for about a year and cut federal spending.

Microsoft MSFT is about about 20 bucks today. Will it creep higher or end up giving back most of that $20 in the next 2 wees??

Microsoft MSFT is about about 20 bucks today. Will it creep higher or end up giving back most of that $20 in the next 2 wees??
Good question I have asked as well. Strong volume today and looking at the selloff from the last 10days, I'm thinking it is short covering of those that wanted to bet on it being a bad earnings. The earnings call was very optimistic. That leaves me wondering even more. Not sure why you need to be that positive in this environment. Stock his new high and now trades at 30x forward earnings. A lot of good news priced in to this one.

Also wondering on gold as we approach debt ceiling. Stalled at 2000 the last week or so. Not much of a risk premium built in if dollar falls on default.

Good question I have asked as well. Strong volume today and looking at the selloff from the last 10days, I'm thinking it is short covering of those that wanted to bet on it being a bad earnings. The earnings call was very optimistic. That leaves me wondering even more. Not sure why you need to be that positive in this environment. Stock his new high and now trades at 30x forward earnings. A lot of good news priced in to this one.

Also wondering on gold as we approach debt ceiling. Stalled at 2000 the last week or so. Not much of a risk premium built in if dollar falls on default.

i cut my microsoft position in half at the beginning of april around the 290 mark. glad i didn't do more.

didn't sell any today. thought about it. i think i'm just gonna keep on holding away.

Energy VDE and XLE going into a recession and that suppose to peak in July. With the huge China demand later this year I would adding Energy to your portfolio especially in this administration. Going Up !

More banking turmoil.

The best person to listen to on banking is Jamie Dimon suggest ignore Powell and Yellen ! Expect the next quarter will be rough position yourself to take advantage of it ……….Energy !

Are there ANY stocks that one should only DCA down on? That is after your initial purchase you should only buy when the price drops below your initial purchase price. I'm thinking that T might be one of those. I have my major funds in Fidelity with the cash in SPAXX. T is paying slightly better than SPAXX, but that could change if there is a rate increase.

Are there ANY stocks that one should only DCA down on? That is after your initial purchase you should only buy when the price drops below your initial purchase price. I'm thinking that T might be one of those. I have my major funds in Fidelity with the cash in SPAXX. T is paying slightly better than SPAXX, but that could change if there is a rate increase.

5 year chart on T?

no thanks.

i'm still praying for the day i can break even on VZ again and get the fugg out of it. we'll see.

SPAXX is one of the best short time horizon places for your money right now IMO.

one other thought for you, if you're thinking long term, maybe look into DCAing more money into bond indexes. i'm doing more of that these days along with my usual VOO purchases. they have depressed value because of fed rates, they still pay a decent yield, and whenever the fed pivots they should pop in value.

there might be better strategies out there tho 🤷‍♂️

5 year chart on T?

no thanks.

i'm still praying for the day i can break even on VZ again and get the fugg out of it. we'll see.

SPAXX is one of the best short time horizon places for your money right now IMO.
VZ and MO are supposed to be a couple of the stocks with a better dividend payout than T is. I take it that you're in VZ for the growth and not the dividend.

Any thoughts about DHR?

VZ and MO are supposed to be a couple of the stocks with a better dividend payout than T is. I take it that you're in VZ for the growth and not the dividend.

Any thoughts about DHR?

no, i got into VZ for the dividend and a company that i felt would have the stability of a utility. then they shat their pants, as companies often do, and i'm down like 20% on it. jokes on me. at least i'm getting the dividends.

T could very likely keep trending down over the years. or they might not, nobody knows. i wouldn't risk it for the dividend though, is my point.

i put most of my money for dividends and some growth into SCHD.

Back