Any welders on here?

SFC B

So, as some of you might know have a job that I am not very excited about and have been looking for interesting opportunities for the last couple of years since my retirement. I love working with my hands and actually making things so I have been trying to think of a way to work toward that ( and opportunities working any sort of wildlife related field outdoors ) while still getting a reasonable paycheck. I have a chance to take beginning and intermediate MIG welding in JAN for free. Worst case scenario is a learn a new skill :) Can anyone tell me about their experiences welding for a career? Likes and dislikes? Thanks

Pro's:
If you like working with your hands its a great job. The skills and multitude of experiences you can have are endless.

These skills are in demand and if you are a go getter, job opportunities will always be there

In the same vein, you can chase additional skills within the career track that can open doors to other, higher paying jobs that still directly pertain to welding/fabrication in general. IE Management type positions

Cons:

Its hard on the body. I started when I was 19, I'm 41 now and there are quite a few aches and pains caused by doing this kind of work.

Going back to the positives. As mentioned, I started working in the welding field at 19. Been exposed to MIG, TIG, Arc, plasma, CNC Machining, Manual Machining and many other aspects of the fabrication/manufacturing business. Without any college I have worked my way up to Production Manager/Assistant General Manager of the company I work for.

If you are interested, I'd say pursue it.

Mig is a good start but if you want to be outside you'll need to learn to stix weld and handle a torch. It's a great skill to have and welders who really know their stuff are always in demand. I love welding fab work but production welding can be hard on the body dirty work.

One more CON: You will get burned multiple times a day and your finger tips will eventually loose feeling from handling hot chit all day! Since I haven't welded much after starting engineering school my hands have since regained feeling but my burn scars are still there! I absolutely love welding and everything that is associated with it, which is why I am now perusing a welding engineering degree. I suspect ill be tinkering around my house for a long time with a welding machine when I get a house and a place to do so.

MIG is a good place to start because in all honesty it is pretty easy compared to TIG or stick. But you'll learn speed, angle, and all sorts of other little things that will help if /when you do the others.

Agreed Zach. On all counts.

If you ever feel like taking another lesson in "patience", spend some time with a "Scratch-start"(Basically reversed lead ARC welder using a Tig torch) TIG machine.... Trying to lightly scratch the work pieces to start the beginning of a weld without fusing the Tungsten to them is a real lesson in patience and precision ;-)

SFC-B, you'll enjoy the classes and if nothing else you gain some skills that at a minimum can be applied putzing in the garage.

I agree with starting with MIG but would recommend if you are able to you should learn and practice TIG.

I have a buddy that went back to school and became a welder. Then, he went back to school and is now a welding inspector. no wear on the body, and a lot more money. mtmuley

I'm a steamfitter (pipe fitter) and weld almost everyday. I didn't care to go to college and enjoyed working with my hands so I decided to get an apprenticeship right out of high school. Through the training I received from on the job training and schooling I have done quite well for myself. I use all welding processes, TIG, MIG and stick. I would definitely learn to TIG weld. You don't get burned a lot if you use the proper gear, good welding gloves, leather sleeves and apron, welding cap under your weld hood. Another thing to think about is a quality welding hood, either use a fixed shade lenses or a good auto darkening lense. The cheap auto darkening lenses are not fast enough and can cause arc flash to burn your eyes.
MIG welding is fairly basic and I wouldn't suggest you stop your training there. Learn all of the processes and get proficient at all of them and you will have no problem getting a good paying job. Good luck!

My brother-in-law is a welder. He worked out of the union hall for years, became a teacher for them. He went to many different schools for safety, rigging etc. He now does nothing but rigging. Anytime anything is moved with crane etc, he signs off on the rigging before it is moved. He makes more money than nearly anyone else in the factory, including the big shots. If you are willing to learn, and want to get into something better, I think the opportunity is there.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back