Any thoughts on the 26 Nosler?

Mthuntinfool

Figured this would get a good debate going, I have read some reviews on the 26 Nosler and it sounds like it has potential. Anyone shoot one yet?

I've not messed around with the 26 cartridge, but I did see one of Nosler's M48 Patriot rifles the other day. I was very impressed with the quality. They have developed a nice action, and they use a decent quality adjustable trigger, and good quality barrels, stocks, trigger guard and floor plate, etc. I don't think you'll find a better quality "production" rifle for the money.

The one draw back I can see to the 26 Nosler cartridge is that at this at this point you are highly dependent on Nosler for ammunition. I like to use Nosler cases for my .300 Win. Mag. and I haven't been able to find any new ones for the last couple of years. I've also had a hard time finding things like .30 caliber, 190 grain Long Range Accubonds. It would be a shame to buy a good rifle then have trouble finding ammunition.

Last edited:
I've not messed around with the 26 cartridge, but I did see one of Nosler's M48 Patriot rifles the other day. I was very impressed with the quality. They have developed a nice action, and they use a decent quality adjustable trigger, and good quality barrels, stocks, trigger guard and floor plate, etc. I don't think you'll find a better quality "production" rifle for the money

That's funny because I picked one up the other day and thought it felt cheap. Two different opinions I guess.

I shot both the 26 and 28 nosler at last years SHOT Show, very impressed as they had minimal recoil and great ballistic performance. I was really impressed with the M48 that they supplied. Nice action, trigger, and feel. It wasn't the Patriot version, not sure which model it was.

I would have the same concerns about availability of brass, etc.

As far as flat shooting and being fast the 26 nosler is all of that. For a hunting gun it's a great cartridge on paper, I say on paper due to not owning or being around one much. I have a 6.5 SAUM, but the way I load rounds for(which is the same as many guys that have them do) it's not the hot rod the 26 nosler is in my opinion. But I bought the 6.5 to hunt with and shoot, a lot! Loaded down with lower pressures the SAUM will have a longer barrel life, and currently brass for the cartridge has a lot more prep than most rounds, on the upsides factory brass will be out soon which will change that. For an over the counter rifle that you can buy loaded ammo for I think the 26 nosler is a good choice.

My thoughts would be to just get a 260 rem and call it a day.

I think a lot of these new rounds are a lot of hype, expense, and trouble. I also believe that many will go the way of the passenger pigeon.

Figured this would get a good debate going, I have read some reviews on the 26 Nosler and it sounds like it has potential. Anyone shoot one yet?

I think it all depends on how you plan to use it. If you're a sight it in once a year and go hunting type of guy it'll be fine and you can brag about the extra FPS that you can get out of it. There is no free lunch when it comes to any of the overbored rifles. It takes more powder to get more velocity and there is a price to pay for that. A lot depends if you want to push it to it's full potential or throttle it back.

For guys like me it would not be a very wise economical decision in that I'd go through a barrel every year or at minimum have to cut the barrel back and get it re-throated.

I think it all depends on how you plan to use it. If you're a sight it in once a year and go hunting type of guy it'll be fine and you can brag about the extra FPS that you can get out of it. There is no free lunch when it comes to any of the overbored rifles. It takes more powder to get more velocity and there is a price to pay for that. A lot depends if you want to push it to it's full potential or throttle it back.

For guys like me it would not be a very wise economical decision in that I'd go through a barrel every year or at minimum have to cut the barrel back and get it re-throated.

That is the problem that I would have with it. As you said, "There is no free lunch". Velocity makes for barrel wear.

My thoughts would be to just get a 260 rem and call it a day.

Pretty tough to argue against that. In a 6.5mm the 260 is as good as it gets in that it's pretty much a short action 6.5 X55 Swede which has been around probably longer than the 30-06 and still going strong in Europe.

That is the problem that I would have with it. As you said, "There is no free lunch". Velocity makes for barrel wear.
Don't disagree that overbore cartridges can attribute to faster barrel wear. However, not to many folks are truly wearing barrels out. Those that are, figure that's the cost of doing business. Kinda like truck tires...

In the same ball park I think Weatherby has come out with the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby. Has anyone shot one yet? As with any over bore caliber if you heat the barrel up you can go through one in no time at all.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back