Any thoughts on daypacks with hydration systems

The downsides I've had are that the tube freezes and if you're backpacking with a full pack you often have to unload a portion of your bag to refill it. I've seen the Sawyer "system" where you can flip a valve and force water back into it, but I highly doubt it would be as easy as shown. Also, a Nalgene works really with with a UV style water treatment.

Actually, filling a bladder with a Katadyn filter is about as easy as it gets. Drop the pack , hook to the hose, and pump away. Never have to remove the bladder.

@PrairieHunter lol sorry: “Bottles are great for day hunting, the only time I think they don’t work that well is when you are backpack camping in areas with limited water...”

Carry on.

I’ve had to pack water a ways to camp. I used the Platypus collapsible bottles. A trip to water would entail a full bladder for the pack (3L), and a couple of 3L collapsible bottles for camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, filling a bladder with a Katadyn filter is about as easy as it gets. Drop the pack , hook to the hose, and pump away. Never have to remove the bladder.
Really? I may have to try it, I always assumed that it was under enough pressure that it would be more difficult to fill that way. Plus I've gone away from the pumps to a gravity system or nalgene with UV. Do you think a gravity system would have enough head to refill it?

Really? I may have to try it, I always assumed that it was under enough pressure that it would be more difficult to fill that way. Plus I've gone away from the pumps to a gravity system or nalgene with UV. Do you think a gravity system would have enough head to refill it?

I've got the wide mouth adapter for my gravity works (perfect fir for a nalgene), and I have been able to fill my MSR dromedary as well as my camel back without taking them out of my pack. I leave the "clean" platapus bag at home at this point as I don't trust the ziplock style seal to hold when I cram it in my pack full.

I've got the wide mouth adapter for my gravity works (perfect fir for a nalgene), and I have been able to fill my MSR dromedary as well as my camel back without taking them out of my pack. I leave the "clean" platapus bag at home at this point as I don't trust the ziplock style seal to hold when I cram it in my pack full.

View attachment 105739
Nice, I'll look into it. The old Plat zippers failed on me, the new ones never have. Gohunt did a kind of cool youtube vid trying to destroy various bladders by throwing them off a building.

Gohunt did a kind of cool youtube vid trying to destroy various bladders by throwing them off a building.

I do love the entertainment value of their product testing.

Yeah I've actually never had a plat zipper fail me... I'm just paranoid about a 3L ziplock bag of water being crushed up against my down sleeping bag.

Go into stores and try packs on for fit and comfort. If you hunt on foot you want one that fits especially if you are big in the belly like my or tall and wide. They tend to make packs for normal skinny folk and not plus sizes. Platypus bladder is the way to go with 9 liter capacity if you plan much hiking.

I do not recommend going too cheap on game bags because if they tear you expose the meat to insects and bacteria. You do not want ones that tear easily like I had when I hunted in Colorado.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back