Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Any Opinions on a Spring Black Bear Hunt?

I have seen lots of Bears in the Spring ! It's my wifes favorite time to hunt them . Just need time out there looking , you will find them ! It's a Rush when you see them too !
We have watched a Mt.lion go after the cubs that were eating on the meadow until Ma Ma took over ! Holy Smokes the cat took off like a Scared rabbit ! .
Best advice just get out there and keep on it!
This has me excited for Spring Bear !
I try to post out hunt info every Spring on here . Lots of highs and lows but if you dont give up you will be rewarded ! My wife is picky so we have passed on lots of Bears .
I couldnt hold out any longer last Spring !
I have a Beautiful Black Bear Rug now !

MT.PERCHMAN

In Wyoming, you can literally pick your spot hunting the western slope and Greater Yellowstone areas. You need to find the berry rich areas and meadows. You also want water nearby. Find that and you can likely find a bear or two. Keep in mind they are spooked quite easy and will run as soon as they smell you unless they are a sow defending their young or protecting a fresh kill. You may find bear on the eastern side of the state, but easier hunting on the western slope in my experience. I hunt the high meadows close to water. Spring bear are likely going to gorge themselves on berries, grass and mushrooms.

Mountain flowers, green grass, water. Obviously the south facing stuff early then as seasons progress and more and more is exposed they'll spread out. Bears can be very lethargic early and it it turns out to be an extended winter like last it can drag all the way into may. I haven't seen much activity on carcasses in the early spring so if you happen to come across one on adventures I'd keep an eye on it but early spring into mid may bears are more appt on getting digestion started and their energy levels back up. Bear's typically don't start actually putting weight back on until late June or July. That's when they'll really begin to have a full diet. Not saying carcasses don't produce they are just not as interested early because of digestion.

Mountain flowers, green grass, water. Obviously the south facing stuff early then as seasons progress and more and more is exposed they'll spread out. Bears can be very lethargic early and it it turns out to be an extended winter like last it can drag all the way into may. I haven't seen much activity on carcasses in the early spring so if you happen to come across one on adventures I'd keep an eye on it but early spring into mid may bears are more appt on getting digestion started and their energy levels back up. Bear's typically don't start actually putting weight back on until late June or July. That's when they'll really begin to have a full diet. Not saying carcasses don't produce they are just not as interested early because of digestion.
Good tip, thank you!

Also bears get hot easy, so bright sunny 70 or 65 degrees days aren't the best IMO. Bears tend to move more on gloomy days even light rain or snow I've seen multiple bears. I've actually taken 1 in the snow and rain and my wife took one last year on a snow covered slope so don't let little weather days get in the way. If it's tolerable for you to be out there and not blowing 50 raining sideways I'd hit it. 4 or 5 in the afternoon until dark has been most productive IMO. My brother loves to hunt daylight to he's done well then.

Also bears get hot easy, so bright sunny 70 or 65 degrees days aren't the best IMO. Bears tend to move more on gloomy days even light rain or snow I've seen multiple bears. I've actually taken 1 in the snow and rain and my wife took one last year on a snow covered slope so don't let little weather days get in the way. If it's tolerable for you to be out there and not blowing 50 raining sideways I'd hit it. 4 or 5 in the afternoon until dark has been most productive IMO. My brother loves to hunt daylight to he's done well then.
Is it April yet!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back