Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Another Housing Market Crash Looming?

Poor millennials!
"younger homebuyers are more likely to rush into a purchase which can lead them to settle for properties that might not be to their liking."

""There's at least some people who don't do sufficient homework"

"Admittedly getting and comparing rates across lenders is burdensome and time-consuming"

...I feel TERRIBLE for them, all that work you have to do to make a wise purchase, so exhausting! :ROFLMAO:

$3.1M gets you a nice sweat equity opportunity. Nice outbuildings though 😂 My job is beyond f’d up right now.

Commercial ‘correction’ coming also. 100% and rising steel prices with 3-4 month lead, guaranteed quotes being cancelled. Owner, investors, and contractors about to holler enough. We have been thru one of these cycles, plenty of shared misery.

And GTFO with that boomer chit.
With the rising cost of steel, copper, lumber, most construction materials, seems like if a builder is going to build and profit,
it will be McMansions instead of starter homes....

Commercial ‘correction’ coming also. 100% and rising steel prices with 3-4 month lead, guaranteed quotes being cancelled. Owner, investors, and contractors about to holler enough. We have been thru one of these cycles, plenty of shared misery.

And GTFO with that boomer chit.
More and more talk of turning malls into housing. Probably make good boomer encampments!

I mean… boomers literally crashed the economy with shitty home purchases so… this whole turn of the thread seems a bit ironic.

Was 2008 the boomers? I thought it was more my generation (Gen X) than boomers - had lots of idiot friends signing up for adjustable rate mortgages prior to '08. My folks are Boomers and they've been in the same house since 1980.

Granted. I have no actual data other than the anecdotal kind. Sometimes those boomers get a bad rap.

Was 2008 the boomers? I thought it was more my generation (Gen X) than boomers - had lots of idiot friends signing up for adjustable rate mortgages prior to '08. My folks are Boomers and they've been in the same house since 1980.

Granted. I have no actual data other than the anecdotal kind. Sometimes those boomers get a bad rap.
In reality I bet it was due to the actions of a small number of individuals, who gambled and lobbied to allow their gambling.

In reality I bet it was due to the actions of a small number of individuals, who gambled and lobbied to allow their gambling.
2008 was due to overconfidence.

Overconfidence on the part of the borrowers that thought they would make enough money in raises to pay their inflated mortgage payments when the rates changed, and that, "surely a bank wouldn't approve me for more than I can afford! They're looking out for my best interest, not selling a product." Overconfidence on the part of lenders that thought they could keep bundling and selling marginal loans on the secondary market, and that their underwriting teams were doing their due diligence. Overconfidence that the market would keep rising at the rate it had been.

Everyone trusted someone else to be the gate keeper. And when the secondary market realized they were being sold garbage assets and stopped buying, and banks realized they were over exposed to marginal borrowers, it crumbled rapidly.

That's why I don't think a real crash is coming. In my very humble opinion, I'd guess the average buyer/borrower is much more qualified now than in 2008. Sufficient underwriting/due diligence, and not simply trusting everyone else to be honest, stabilizes the whole system.

Last edited:
2008 was due to overconfidence.

Overconfidence on the part of the borrowers that thought they would make enough money in raises to pay their inflated mortgage payments when the rates changed, and that, "surely a bank wouldn't approve me for more than I can afford! They're looking out for my best interest, not selling a product." Overconfidence on the part of lenders that thought they could keep bundling and selling marginal loans on the secondary market, and that their underwriting teams were doing their due diligence. Overconfidence that the market would keep rising at the rate it had been.

Everyone trusted someone else to be the gate keeper. And when the secondary market realized they were being sold garbage assets and stopped buying, and banks realized they were over exposed to marginal borrowers, it crumbled rapidly.

That's why I don't think a real crash is coming. In my very humble opinion, it's guess the average buyer/borrower is much more qualified now than in 2008. Sufficient underwriting/due diligence, and not simply trusting everyone else to be honest, stabilizes the whole system.
Pretty good summary. Time will tell where things go this time. Right now people are scrambling to convert the monopoly money into real assets. Right now the world economy is a house of cards. Won't take much to trigger another panic, and the herd will turn around and run in the opposite direction. Back to cash. Best thing anyone can do right now is get out of debt. Make smart financial decisions, and develope good and diverse job skills.

All I know is that something has to give. Framing lumber is 4-5x what it was last year at this time.
I am in the process of building a 12x16 garden shed. Total cost of materials should be @ 1200 in a normal year. Looking like it’s gonna cost @ 4K for materials alone.
I paid $16 for 5/8” OSB last July. I bought six sheets last night for $71.08 per sheet.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back