Housing Appreciation and Inflation: Future Outlook?

Sure, but that isn't the whole story. Poor (and rich) people benefit from a robust energy grid, even if they don't realize it. A tax credit is only useful if you PAY taxes. There is probably no 'perfect' solution to a situation where everyone wants cheap, reliable electricity and doesn't want to pay to make it cheap and reliable. That rule goes for a lot of things we enjoy in America: roads, healthcare, public lands, etc.
So have you installed solar yet?

So have you installed solar yet?
No. We have discussed. Hydro Electricity prices here low enough to make my break even too long. I continue to consider it, but I didn't see the sun for all but about 8 days this winter (El Nino strikes again). However, I did put in 4 more inches of insulation.

No. We have discussed. Hydro Electricity prices here low enough to make my break even too long. I continue to consider it, but I didn't see the sun for all but about 8 days this winter (El Nino strikes again). However, I did put in 4 more inches of insulation.
When you said I can make the grid more robust by putting solar on my roof, I decided to get a quote. This is what I found out.

6% return on my investment.
No electric bill from Northwest energy with net metering.
Get to starve the beast out of $4,300.
Made in America Silfab panels.

What do you think?

When you said I can make the grid more robust by putting solar on my roof, I decided to get a quote. This is what I found out.

6% return on my investment.
No electric bill from Northwest energy with net metering.
Get to starve the beast out of $4,300.
Made in America Silfab panels.

What do you think?
I thought your bill was pretty low but that seems pretty attractive. If I remember correctly, you probably still have to pay Northwest for the privilege of having an account. It was like $30 per month when I was there. You add the risk of the sun not shining and reduce the risk from prolonged power outage for some disaster reason.

I thought your bill was pretty low but that seems pretty attractive. If I remember correctly, you probably still have to pay Northwest for the privilege of having an account. It was like $30 per month when I was there. You add the risk of the sun not shining and reduce the risk from prolonged power outage for some disaster reason.
$4 a month meter rent fee is all. I still would have a natural gas bill from Northwest for furnace and water heater. $14,400 still sounds steep for a 4.5kw grid tied solar package installed. The company, Freedom Energy, is only 10 days out to install, and eager to get started. Maybe they can sharpen their pencil, if they want the job?

The only way this makes sense is if it raises the value of my house when I go to sell it next spring. Zero dollar electric bill could be a great selling feature. Could even spark a bidding war amongst half a dozen California refugees!😁

I could always DIY the install and hire an electrician to do the grid tie.
$2,500 for 11 panels plus shipping.

Panels seem to be on par with the competition, although maybe a little more (5%) more expensive. I don't mind paying the extra for American made. The installation cost is the problem I am having. I ran the numbers through Avista calculator and it still shows I don't break even. It doesn't have anything to do with the panels or efficiency. It is all in the installation cost. If I assume the inflation on electricity is closer to 3% rather than the 2%, then the numbers put me in the black. If you could DIY any part of it, the numbers change dramatically. This goes back to my belief that we have a labor problem in this country and it will make inflation very sticky, but a topic for another thread.

If you installed a $14,000 system with a positive/neutral breakeven, the value of your house should increase by $14,000. Unfortunately, there is no way to know what the value of the home was before you start so it all gets mixed together in the purchase price.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back