Another Backpack Question... FOOD.

Moosie

Grand poopa
OK, so Besides "beer" whats good foods to bring on a Backpack trip ?

2 years ago I brought Alot of Candy on my Trip. Fruit rollups, Snickers, HArd Candy's, Etc. I had Mountain house but that was jsut for Dinner. This year, I'm gonig to throw in a Couple Apples and Carrots to try something different. It might sound Crazy but even aftyer Hiking all that Candy jsut didn't sound good. I wanted something "healthy" and Trust me.. I'm a Grease/candy Eating machine !!!

Jsut wondering if anyone else brings that kind of stuff on a 3+ day Trip ?

Dried fruits are great and give lots of energy, I like crystal light or some equal for flavoring water that isn';t so tasty. Really light weight stuff. Powdered hot coco is great at night and keeps the boiler room working throughout the night so you don't get cold. Beding only works as good as the heater in it.
You might find some upland game birds, take a bag with flour seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper. Good for fish,and sheep backstrap too. A few ounces of squeeze parkay will get the pan lubed. Just shake and bake. Take some aluminum foil it's light weight and good for sticking food in the coals.

PS People always remember the hunt and not the discomfort you endured. So have a memorable trip.

Trail mix ( they don't call it trail mix for nothing) Its got all the healthy dried fruits and nuts, with just enought chocolate (M&Ms) to taste like candy.
Power bars
Emer'gen-C to mix with water, loads you up on vC & B.

instant oatmeal and top ramen, some hi energy candy bars, jerky and something to mix with water that contains Vitamin C--the crystal lite I thought was good....tea and hot choco...thats what I'm takin this year again--light and easy to pack---chris

You can do a lot better for yourself than ramen and candy bars. Take dehydrated meals like Mountain House for dinners. Instead of candy bars, find a couple of Clif bar flavors you like (or something similar). Remember, you're not going up there to eat stuff that tastes good. You're going up there to hunt (and spoon with T-bone). Your food needs to give you the energy to keep going for 7-10 days. If you want to take fruit, take dehydrated stuff. I think trail mix and dehydrated fruit is too heavy for what you get out of it, but it's not too bad. Mix up some of that Joe's Moose Goo and wrap it in tortillas.

Candy and ramen are wasted weight, IMO.

My daily food bags contain.
2 packets of instant oatmeal.
1 Cliff Bar
1 Protein/Power bar
5 oz of trail mix
3 oz of jerky
1 Mt House dinner
2 Jolly Ranchers
1 oz of Gatoraide mix

Fruit weighs too much and doesn't have enough calories for me to waste my time hauling it. The only things I carry that are less than 100 calories per ounce are jerky and gatoraide mix (both around 80).
Its a fairly salty diet but you'll need the salt and it makes you drink more water too. You should be pissing every 2 hrs, the clearer the better since it means your hydrated.

Since I don't like powerbars or cliff bars; I buy some good meal repalcement bars from my buds website/business. They actually taste good. I eat a bar in the morning, 1 in the mid day, another in mid afternoon, and plan to have some mountain house for dinner, but I carry a couple of extra bars with me from basecamp in case the huntingwas intense, and I don't get back off the mountain that night.

I tend to eat real high fat/carb foods that I never eat the rest of the year like Pop Tarts, muffins, and candy bars. I guess if you don't like candy that kills that idea. You need alot of fat and carbs to keep going on a hard backpack trip.

I always take at least one bag of RedMan. It keeps your mind sharp, supresses your appetite, and "cures what ails you".

I like the idea of 100 calories per ounce, and the more salt the better.

No candy, you queenbee.

HAHA, I specifically remember someone eating a BAG of my Candy on the way out.... Don't worry, you don't need to bring any, I'll bring some for ya :)

I'm gonig to PAck a couple apples jsut to See. I'll let you know if I regret it or not. I have my Food pack Ready. I have a couple things I don't do. 1-Oatmeal. Not an Option 2-Cliff bars. Jsut looking at T-bones 10 #'s of cliffbars last year made me puke !!!!!

Here's my list. I know I'll get hacked for it but it's as Follows,

Breakfast : 2 Tbs peanut butter (200cal) 1 tbls honey (60 cal) tortilla (120 cal)

Lunch : jerky stix x2-100 cal rollup 50 cal granola bar fruit (140 cal another brand (130cal) bite size snickers x2 85 cal. werther candy x2 40 cal ritz crackers/peanutbutter 200 cal.

Dinner Mountain House (Varies ) 600-800 cal.

Total 1700-1800 cals.

sure it sounds Short but it's still a Fetching lot of Food. Whenb I go hiking I don't eat alot. I didn't on the last one and I'm guesing i won't on this one. MAybe... I'll be wrong, But we'll see.

For Drinks I have Pills for water and Crystal light.

I'll also have some Butterscotch candy for hiking and a couple apples. Hell, worse case I'll be eating Sheep on day 6 :D

The following is usually a days worth of food will I’m on the mountain.
• 2 Packs of Instant Oatmeal
• 2 Tortillas with Peanut butter and Honey mix or
• Smoked sausage, cheese, and crackers
• Mountain House freeze dried meal (2 serving size)
• Trail mix
• Jerky
• Power bars

I will usually repackage everything before I leave for my hunt. I take the oatmeal and I will put it all in one zip-loc bag. The peanut butter and honey is mix is something that I discovered a couple of years ago. I mix honey and peanut butter and mix it in a bowl. Once it is mixed I will put it in a disposable squeeze tube. You can get the tubes at REI or some other place for about $1 each. Once I’m one the mountain I will just squeeze the peanut butter and honey mix on a tortilla. I used to take smoked sausage, cheese, and crackers. The problem with this is the crackers always get crushed and they take up a lot of room. The Tortilla, peanut butter and honey is compact and I don’t have to worry about crushing the tortilla. I will also use the peanut butter and honey mix in my oatmeal. For snacks I will take trail mix, power bars, and jerky. I’ll also take some type of drink mix. I have found that is worth the extra pound to have something with good flavor to drink.

There is

instant rice and bullion cubes
packaged instant mashed potatoes
Canned or enveloped chicken and tuna and shrimp
A little plastic bottle of dry BBQ rub in case you can find a grouse

Home made power bars I made a pan of these.. mega calories, taste way better than those shitty cliff bars and power bars, way more, cost way less. Just stuff them in a ziplock and go. I made half my weight back in the last few weeks, from 190 to 170, back to 180, right where I want to be.. ate a whole pan of these in a week, force feeding myself like a horse. Carb loading. Will eat a case of Snickers next week, drink a case of beer, and still loose weight. These high metabolisms just suck. :D

Awesome link greeny. I may have to make a pan of those in a week or so. I'm starting to get away from structured meals (like sandwhichs, etc) and just go for more small items like a bagel or some jerky, trail mix, etc.

The bar(s) I get typically run:

Meal Replacement Bar: 2.1 oz each
220 cal (50 from fat)
2.5 g Saturated fat - 0g trans fat
11g Sugar
4g Fiber
16g Protein
0g Cholesterol
and 35% of 24 essential daily vitamins and minerals.

Protein Bars: 2.1 oz each
260 cal (70 from fat)
1g Saturated Fat - 0g Trans fat
0g Sugar
2g Fiber
21 g Protein
10mg Cholesterol
25% daily Calcium
7% daily Iron

Good eating, prepackaged, and ready to go.

10beers you actually read those labels? What's trans fat? Sounds gay.

I ate a half pound of bacon yesterday morning but when I cooked it up it didn't seem that heavy.

Greenhorn, I tried a batch of those home made power bars. They tasted ok, but I wouldn't call them 'bars'. They were so soft they wouldn't hold together at all. Kinda like extremely soft and sticky granola.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back