Yeti GOBOX Collection

Backpack Food Question....

YAH.. just what I need... to get Frustrated Fishing and not catching too ;)

I'll look at the Goo, I have the Link saved but haven't read it yet. I like Premade stuff. If it has Oatmeal in it forget it. I'd rather pack the extra 1 oz and bring a candy bar I enjoy eatin'

PS: Whats different from the Fruit rollups I have and your suggestion to Dehydrat fruits ? Isn't it all the same ? If so, I'll stick with Cheap and Easy, like your Dates you have (Ohhhhhhh Burnnnnn ;) ).

The MooseGoo looks easy to make (turn Little O and Zach loose). And I think it might be pretty damn efficient. No Oatmeal, as it uses Corn Flour, which you can buy in the stores around here as Masa Harina.

I think the Fruit Rollups are heavy on the Preserviatives and such. Not sure about added sugar, but as they are for kids, they likely have High Fructose Corn Syrup as an ingredient. Also, you will be carrying in packaging that you don't need.

Look at an ingredient label.

I think you will find that if you dry a bunch of pears and some peaches and some Watermelon, you will actually ENJOY eating them, and not just suffer through them.

You can make Fruit Leather in the Dehydrator, but the sliced stuff is much easier. And if you have extras, the boys will need it, as school starts next week....

My boys are in the Modified year round School... they started last week :(

I'll take your Advise and Try it. MAybe we can do some shopping and Chopping together and Try some stuff out. You open for a Date some night ? I have a Cool Video we could watch while we're drying the fruit. I actualy have a Full watermello on the Table we haven't cut yet.... Give me a Recipie (How long to Dry it, and I'll throw some in tomorrow.

The watermelon, just cut it into bite size cubes, and then put it on the dryer. Check it every so often, and take it off when it is done....

I bet the boys will be eating it before you get done.

This week won't work, but next week should be ok, just not Monday or Wed, as I have Soccer practice.

I could likely even score some Peaches and Pears.

I need to pick up the Goose, again...

LOL.. HAve you called on the Goose ? I haven't followed through with a reminder call yet.

What is "DONE" ? Chewy still ? Bone dry ? or will it look like a fruit rollup ? And Watermello, Isn't it like 94% water ? Huge shrinkage factor, like me in a Cold swimming pool ?!?!?

Jose, my wife is from Tucson. Don't tell CJCJ, but I've heard of masa harina before. ;)

I do not cook on back pack hunts period. I boil water to make oatmeal, cocoa, tea and mtn house.

My daily menu is this on every trip

1 pkg oatmeal
1 pkg cocoa
1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins and apricots)

2 string cheese
4 oz jerky(1/2 pkg)
1 cliff bar

10 oz Mtn House or equiv
1 tea bag

1500mg Tylenol every day before dinner

a note on Mtn House meals--I buy the 20 oz double serving and then split them at home and vacuum pack each portion--saves bulk and weight. I bring 1 10 oz meal for the outer bag which I recycle through out the trip.

Bring a GOOD sleeping pad and cache as much gear as you feel comfortable with during scouting trips to save weight on the hike in.

I really hope you guys(T Bone) kill a Booner (think one-eight-oh)

NASAR (national association for search and rescue) guidelines are 3500 calories per day if you are on a search. I've hiked the crags a half dozen times, and the terrain is tougher in there than most terrain I've S&R'ed in. I'm sure you can get by for 8 days on the # of calories you are planning on, but I'd be willing to bet that you'll be tightening your belt a few notches. You don't mention if your plan is to hike in and stay put and glass from your favorite spot, or move as the situation dictates. The amount you move to glass will be a factor in determining your caloric needs.
Good luck

Forget the snickers Oscar, throw in Harvest bars instead; they have way more substance to them and actually provide good nutrition rather than just sugar...
On a positive note, with only 1700 calories of intake, while burning 3500 a day in sheep country, you should come back without the love handles!

Here's Mine.

2oz of oatmeal 200cal
5oz of trail mix 725cal (mostly peanuts, cashews and a few raisins)
3oz jerky 240cal
5oz mt house 620cal
2oz Cliff Bar 220cal
2oz Protein Bar 220cal
.5oz Gatoraide mix 50cal
2-3 Jolly Ranchers 60cal
and a Folgers coffee bag per day, weighs about nothing.

So that's about 20oz and 2,350 calories. I usually have to force myself to eat everything for the day. This is what I took on my goat and sheep hunts. Its enough calories to allow you to put the miles on, but plan on losing about a pound a day if your hunting hard. My sheep hunt was 4.5 days and 44 miles round trip with 52lbs going in and 85-90lbs coming out. I had lost 5lbs when I got home and that was with being out of the bush for 4 days too.
I have the oatmeal and coffee for breakfast. Then a cliff bar around 10am and a power/protien bar around 2:30. I snack on the trail mix and Jerkey all day. Mt House for dinner. The gatoraide I add to one bottle of water a day, its just enough to give it a little flavor. I take the hard candy because I'm a sugar junky and they add a little bit of flavor to the diet.
Oh yeah lots and lots of Tylenol.

I tote alot of meal replacement and protein bars (Trim Advantage Brand) that I get from my freinds business. They run between 230 - 260 calories per bar and actually taste good. I also tote a dehydrated dinner meal packsand dehydrated coffee for each day i plan to be out plus 2 extra days worth.

ya gotta have oatmeal, if you're gonna work like a mule, you gotta eat like a mule...but they're right on on the fruit, it was always better than almost anything else we carried when I backpacked a lot...oh wait, that was 20+ years ago, something new has to have happened since then. No chocolate pudding? instant pudding dried milk.....if it's even remotely cold, it'll set up

ya gotta have oatmeal, if you're gonna work like a mule, you gotta eat like a mule...but they're right on on the fruit, it was always better than almost anything else we carried when I backpacked a lot...oh wait, that was 20+ years ago, something new has to have happened since then. No chocolate pudding? instant pudding dried milk.....if it's even remotely cold, it'll set up

I was thinking the same thing. When I backpack in somewhere I carry a heavy load of food in because I know I am going to eat it all, the middle of a hunt is no place to run out of energy due to lack of chow. I will pack Ready Cook bacon, instant mashed taters, rice, pasta - have some carbs with your calories too. There are lots of flavored pasta/rice packages in the grocery store that are cheaper than Mtn House. May want to have an MRE or 2 as an emergency meal. I don't remember if you were taking a backpacking stove or not, but a Dragonfly or similar whitegas stove doesn't weigh much, and along with a titanium pot and a frying pan you aren't afraid of putting on a fire and you have all the cooking gear you need.

I'm planning on taking a few super modified bagels on this trip. Whole grain fresh bagels with a peanut butter/butter/jam/honey middle. Vacuum packed.

It should do well for a breakfast/snack.

The rest will be the normal freeze dried dinners, Clif bars, trail mix, jerky, dried fruit. After a few weeks of that I should be looking ribby.

the lipton meals in a bag are lite, loaded with cards and calories all you need is water a pan and fire to make them which if you are camping is easy to find. top raman works well too

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back