Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Another AZ Late Rifle Bull

Buschy

My good friend from Arizona, JD (or Prairieghost here on Hunt Talk), helped his daughter put a great bull on the ground the last weekend of the late rifle season in AZ. JD was a great help to both Jim and I on our AZ elk hunts this year. I really doubt either of us would have taken the bulls we did without his willingness to help and in-depth knowledge of the area. JD and his daughter worked HARD for this bull. I am posting the pictures for him and maybe he will fill us in on the details!

Congratulations JD. Your daughter will remember that hunt for a long time!

A beautiful young lady and a great bull!
DSC_0335.jpg

A very proud father;)
DSC_0338.jpg

I love packout pics!!
DSC_0348.jpg

Very cool, congrats to the young lady on a awesome bull. Looks like a pretty happy Dad there too!

A mule?

When I started collecting AZ points, somenoe promised no packing required. Who lied to me?

Sweet six.

This was by far one of the best and most physically challenging hunts I have been on in my entire life of hunting here in AZ. This is Mackenzies senior year and I wanted to make it a trip she would remember forever. We encountered a blizzard on horseback, bighorn sheep, a mule blowin up bears in our camp!
I am writing a story on this and hopefully Chris will include it in the Western Hunter because it is not so much a story about the success of killing the bull as it was about the memories we made on this particular hunt. The bull was not the biggest bull we saw but he's great none the less and I couldnt be more proud of my daughter. She is a great hunter and I hope she continues to do these things she likes throughout her life. I am blessed to have her as my daughter and a hutning companion since she was oh about 2. She is also a role model for my other two that hunt as they look up to her and to hearing about her hunts, it really is asomewhat of a friendly competition in my family.
I will say that the unit we hunted is probably in my opinion the roughest unit in the state and what a thrill it has been this year. Im glad to have met Jim, Randy and Greg and glad to have helped in my little way, but these guys are hunters and really didnt need that much help.
The bull was at 440 yards. She was using my Remington 300 RUM with 180 gr sciroccos on top of retumbo powder. The rifle has a brake built by don goliembieski is bedded and topped with a leupold vx3 boone and crockett reticle scope.
The mules name is Juanita and she is 28.lol Best Damn critter i ever packed on!
Thanks and I hope to have the story over to WH this week before I leave for my coues whitetail hunt. Take care and good huntin.
JD

Congrats on a great bull, my son is 9 and daughter 5, can't wait till they start hunting with me. It will bring lots of great times ahead!

Sounds like a good story. Let us know when it is WH.

Are you hunting Coues in AZ or south of the border?

Very cool JD. Congrats to you and McKenzie. Would give anything to have a teenager in my house to share hunts with.

Good luck on the deer hunt. I think guys will wanna stick around for those pics.

Oak I am hunting in Arizona. Season started today but im holdin out for a bit while the rut cranks up. I am pumped for this hunt. I have not had a hunt for myself of any big game nature in three years. I have been helping friends and family too much to concentrate on me. Besides that I havnt drawn a tag until this year.
With that said thanks for all of the comments. She is pretty happy with that bull. Late hunts here can be tough. but this one worked out.
Will let you guys know how the deer hunt went.
JD

Looking forward to the deer hunt report. I'm heading down next Wednesday for a Coues hunt myself. Good luck!

Oak which unit? Im in 31 Think im going to leave Mon night stay in Safford then set up my camp Tues Morning. Got some buds I grew up hunting with meeting me. Its going to be a great hunt, getting together with these guys in this setting again.
We started hunting together at about 14 years old, shooting our "bear" bows. We all met at the local hunt and fish store and have been friends ever since. It is amazing really becuase over the years you lose contact with friends, but the hunting thing has kept us all somewhat close over the years. I just havnt been on a trip with em in a long time.
When you can look back to when you were 16 years old and your pickup is full of gear and friends on an archery hunt in northern AZ for a four day trip, or hunting doves before your first hour gym class your senior year and still have those same guys around it makes you think how wonderful life really is, to be able to do this and have the memories.
JD

Back