Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Animals off the list

Get close to one, alive or dead, and it will become readily apparent this is far from the case. mtmuley

Man, I passed one at 75 mph on the freeway going through Wyoming last year. Even in brief moment I snapped around and was like "Holy cow that was huge!" Dad was driving and didn't see but there was no mistaking that wolf as an awesome predator.

Honestly at this point in m y life, I have my hands full with pronghorn, mule and whitetail deer and elk.

Never had any interest in bears or cats and Africa for hunting never interested me. Any hunt I need a cheat sheet to know what the animal is, doesn't interest me.

there's animals I would love to see up close, but not hunt: bears, musk ox, Africa with a camera

Now for animals I would like to get someday: moose.

I remember watching a nature documentary, and it showed a herd of elephants basically milling around mourning the death of a calf... hit me hard in the feels. I couldn't shoot an elephant. Add a panda to the list for me as well - complete anthropomorphism but they're just to damn cute.

Other than that, I'm GTG if there's a valid reason.

"are there any (non-human) land mammals" Why the qualifier of non-human - never heard of the most dangerous game?zmaxresdefault.jpg

In all seriousness though, I am surprised by how many folks are listing giraffe, horse, zebra, etc. I guess I just have less moral, ethical and sentimental issues than others. If money, tags, and conservation/population level issues are removed. I'd hunt, kill and eat pretty much anything that swims, flies or walks at least once. The no-go list: High primates (chimps, orangutans, gorillas); Dolphins; maybe most Raptors. I don't know maybe there are others.

EDIT: just saw you said land mammals -So I guess just the primates. I'm not saying I would go out of my way to specifically target certain animals, but if we are talking about animals absolutely off the list then that is probably it. Add potential starvation as a factor and everything is fair game.

Last edited:
Some have wandered outside land mammals - so . . .

Waterborne mammals I would not shoot/kill - Whales, Dolphins, Porpoises and Manatee

Fish, Reptiles and Amphimbians - all are fair game.

Birds - would never shoot a raptor (eagle, hawk, osprey, owl) for everything else, all I can say is, “pull”.

Last edited:
Great topic and much welcomed distraction.

Domestic animals: I have had to put down cows, horses, dogs, and cats. Never a fun experience but I would do it if necessary.

African game: No desire to hunt elephants, giraffes, or hippos. Would like to hunt oryx, kudu, and impala sometime as I have heard they are excellent table fare.

North American: I can't think of anything that would be on my no hunt list.

Other: Pandas, koala bears, kangaroos, tapirs, alpacas, wild horses. Just seems weird.

Growing up on a farm you see death up close and have to play God at times to put an animal down. I try my best to be humane. I am not acting out of anger or some perverse thrill. I generally prefer to hunt something I can eat but will do my part to manage wildlife and invasive species when wildlife biologists approve of that action. I recall a discussion with someone when capital punishment came up and they stated no one should support capital punishment unless they were willing to be on the firing squad or flip the switch. I would not look forward to that duty but would serve if called just as have with jury duty. I do not see why I get to keep my hands clean when one or more of us needs to take on an unsightly task. We live in a flawed world and some of us will carry burdens so others do not have to themselves.

Great topic and much welcomed distraction.

Domestic animals: I have had to put down cows, horses, dogs, and cats. Never a fun experience but I would do it if necessary.

African game: No desire to hunt elephants, giraffes, or hippos. Would like to hunt oryx, kudu, and impala sometime as I have heard they are excellent table fare.

North American: I can't think of anything that would be on my no hunt list.

Other: Pandas, koala bears, kangaroos, tapirs, alpacas, wild horses. Just seems weird.

"I killed one, Rick... the thing I love most in the world."

1595279250102.png

"Here's what you're gonna do: Get your hands on some bleach, some hydrogen peroxide, and a shit load of lime."

I do not see why I get to keep my hands clean when one or more of us needs to take on an unsightly task. We live in a flawed world and some of us will carry burdens so others do not have to themselves.

Absolutely agree.

Waterborne mammals I would not shoot/kill - Whales, Dolphins, Porpoises and Manatee

I'd be interested to participate in a Faroe hunt, St. Vincent, etc traditional use hunt.

Back