Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Animals off the list

VikingsGuy

In another thread, Europe was polling Big 5 preferences and a number of us excluded one or more basis - just doesn’t seem right to shoot. So that left me wondering what animals would I not shoot.

Assuming money was no object and you had a lawful tag and assurances that conservation goals were being met, are there any (non-human) land mammals you would not shoot?

For me the only ones definitely on the no-go list are:

Elephant
Gorilla
Chimpanzee
domesticated Dog
domesticated Horse
Giraffe.

Completely arbitrary I know, but interested in the lists of others.

FWIW, the big cats (Lion, Tiger and Leopard) were on the bubble,

UPDATE: need to add Pandas and Orangutan to the no kill list.

Last edited:
Domesticated dog

and here is the one that’s a maybe, that I’ll probably get a whole lot of sh** for but I really don’t think I would shoot a wolf unless there was imminent danger to me or if it got a little too close to an elk I had already shot lol.. just something about a wolf is too close to a house pet for me..

I know I’ll get some sh** for that but it’s just not for me. Other than that there’s not much else that I would have a problem with tbh if it were legal, I had a tag, conservation or food in mind.

Sticking to just game animals not domesticated stuff it would be Elephant, Rhino, Giraffe, and probably African Big Cats. I don't have the desire to hunt them or to face social backlash from people who don't fully understand it.

Maybe I'm messed up, but I would have no problem shooting a domesticated horse or dog, but especially not a domesticated horse, barring they weren't somebody's pet, obviously. I'm not a lunatic. I could def shoot a chimpanzee too, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

I think the only animal, aside from most primates, that I wouldn't shoot would be an elephants, whales, and dolphins. I just think they are too conscious and sentient. But my reasoning is just as arbitrary as the next guys.

No go's
Urban critters... pigeon, squirrel, rabbit, etc running around on concrete.
Primates

Lots of other things I just am not interested in hunting. There is a huge method of take component for me... like if I was allowed to hunt a giraffe my way then yes... but there is 0 chance of that so I'm not interested.
Texas, Africa, South America, UK, most of Europe... just have zero interest for me. Sleeping in a nice bed in some ridiculous lodge, driving out in a truck walking to a blind or 100 yards from the vehicle then, pulling the trigger and then walking away from the endeavor... nah I'll spend the money on a heli skiing trip.

If the meat doesn't come home with me, if I don't skin it, if I don't sleep in the woods with it, and if I don't burn some boot leather on it... pass.

Last edited:
Elephant, Gorilla, and Giraffe.
The big cats may be an issue but who knows.
I'd love to hunt Zebra and hippo.
The Hyena looks fun too.
Over here I'd shoot anything I was able to.
Any feral cat or unleashed nonworking dog is fair game in my mind too.
Up here we can get multiple wolf tags and I do...

In another thread, Europe was polling Big 5 preferences and a number of us excluded one or more basis - just doesn’t seem right to shoot. So that left me wondering what animals would I not shoot.

Assuming money was no object and you had a lawful tag and assurances that conservation goals were being met, are there any (non-human) land mammals you would not shoot?

For me the only ones definitely on the no-go list are:

Elephant
Gorilla
Chimpanzee
domesticated Dog
domesticated Horse
Giraffe.

Completely arbitrary I know, but interested in the lists of others.

FWIW, the big cats (Lion, Tiger and Leopard) were on the bubble,
I agree with the above but would add the following No go

Zebra
Baboon

All the cats I am fine with at current populations.

I also have problem with wild horses and burro for some reason. If I am not gonna eat them its just doenst seem to work. I have a real problem with wild horses on my property and while I was close one time shooting one because he charged me a couple times, he backed off.

OCONUS: Not interested in anything. Not to take away from other's passion! I just have a lot of hunts to do stateside first!

CONUS:
I have no desire to shoot
  1. A coyote
  2. A fox
  3. Prairie dogs
  4. A lynx or Bobcat
  5. A wild horse
If I don't want to grill it, I won't kill it!

Domesticated dog

and here is the one that’s a maybe, that I’ll probably get a whole lot of sh** for but I really don’t think I would shoot a wolf unless there was imminent danger to me or if it got a little too close to an elk I had already shot lol.. just something about a wolf is too close to a house pet for me..

I know I’ll get some sh** for that but it’s just not for me. Other than that there’s not much else that I would have a problem with tbh if it were legal, I had a tag, conservation or food in mind.

What kind of house pets you got? 👀

We're all different. I would put pretty much everything from Africa on my no-shoot list. But I'd be totally game for feral dogs and feral horses. Hell I've often wondered how much of a population level impact could be had on feral horses In just a night of thinning the herd.

What kind of house pets you got? 👀

Just too close to a dog to me. Which I can’t explain i could shoot a coyote or fox and not think twice but for some reason, that I can’t explain a wolf is different to me.

No horses

No Zebra

No gorillas

No Walrus

No bigfoot ;)

I loved mountain lion hunting so if it was possible I would hunt, Tiger, Lion, Leopard,

I know I got more enjoyment watching elephants, hippos, lions and such through binoculars in Botswana than I would have got out of shooting them. If I lived over there and could actually use all the meat I would hunt most of the plains game except zebra. No primates. Just too human. Still on the fence about wolves and yotes. Definitely would if they were threatening pets or livestock. I'm with @Boomerusaf in that I have little desire to shoot anything if it's not going on the grill later.

I'd not go after any large cat other than Mtn Lion. Even that would likely be incidental.

Nope on Grizzly/Brown/Polar bears. Totally fine with black bear hunting, but something about those big bruins that makes me put more value on them being out there than in my den.

Nope on Elephant, Rino, Giraffe or Zebra. The Zebra, I know is just my hangup, but I can't shoot a horse.

No desire to shoot any primate of any kind.

Zero desire to go after marine mammals either.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back