Caribou Gear

Animals off the list

...they must not have had that in the Gander Mt. catalog...this was the closest I could find, kind of a MojoKeet!

...I digress, back to the thread at hand!View attachment 147501

Lol, I kind of fall into the middle of the pack here and have trouble shooting something I wouldn’t eat- NA predators aside. Buddy was asked by his PH to take a giraffe last trip to Africa and really struggled with it even though the PH said it was on the downhill slope and wouldn’t last the season plus the consession was being over grazed. He ended up doing it (no charge) but still had probs with the whole Toys-R-Us thought process.

5 pages in, has anyone quoted William Munny yet? “I've killed women and children. I’ve killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another.”

In another thread, Europe was polling Big 5 preferences and a number of us excluded one or more basis - just doesn’t seem right to shoot. So that left me wondering what animals would I not shoot.

Assuming money was no object and you had a lawful tag and assurances that conservation goals were being met, are there any (non-human) land mammals you would not shoot?

For me the only ones definitely on the no-go list are:

Elephant
Gorilla
Chimpanzee
domesticated Dog
domesticated Horse
Giraffe.

Completely arbitrary I know, but interested in the lists of others.

FWIW, the big cats (Lion, Tiger and Leopard) were on the bubble,

UPDATE: need to add Pandas and Orangutan to the no kill list.

I know you said land mammals but guys are talking about marine mammals so I wanted to add giant tortoise is off the list for me. Way too cool of a critter, they get so old I'd feel strange about it.

5 pages in, has anyone quoted William Munny yet? “I've killed women and children. I’ve killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another.”
giphy.gif

Lots of critters I wont shoot. I'm getting quite soft with age. 🐆🐅🦧🦍🐒🦁🦓🦄🦒🐫🐇🦔🐳🐬🦊
But when it comes to horses I'd like a "smoke a herd a day" sticker please. I love domestic horses they helped build this country and are amazing, but I deal with wild ones in my whitetail hunting unit and they are straight up pests! Words cant describe how much I loathe them. Screwed me on more hunts than not. But ya cant shoot em so I work with them the best I can. They are quite predictable and I'm learning their patterns.

domesticated Dog
domesticated Horse
1. You don't know my neighbor's evil, mean, barking, SOB of an inbred, mongrel, no breed bastard. His father was can immoral dog and his mother was an absolute bitch.
2. I don't know any working cowboy or packer who hasn't thought about it a time or two. We lost a horse last year and it was emotionally hard for me. But he was truly a "one man" horse and no one else could ride him or work with except me.
He was mental and would cause a wreck for no apparent reason.

Don’t have a desire to shoot a zebra but not opposed to eating one. Had some sausage from one shot on a Texas ranch that was really good.

Not interested in any of the exotic stuff at all. As far as game animals in my state, i wouldnt shoot a fox or raccoon or quail.

Don’t have a desire to shoot a zebra but not opposed to eating one. Had some sausage from one shot on a Texas ranch that was really good.
Between what we shot amd what another group in camp shot we had Kudu, eland, zebra, gemsbok, sable, reedbuck, impala, blesbok, wildebeast, and nyala. Everybody agreed the Kudu was best. But I was surprised that the wildebeast was a close second.

I'm also on the "No African animals" bandwagon. No desire to shoot anything in Africa or even visit the "Dark Continent".

Not interested in any of the exotic stuff at all. As far as game animals in my state, i wouldnt shoot a fox or raccoon or quail.
I’ve been at full draw on a fox and let the bow down cause it meant more to me in the woods than on the wall. There are some animals that are just beautiful and if I don’t have a reason to shoot it or it’s not causing problems I’ll pass.

I really don’t think I would shoot a wolf unless there was imminent danger to me or if it got a little too close to an elk I had already shot lol.. just something about a wolf is too close to a house pet for me..

if you ever spend a few weeks camping, hunting, fishing in the Territories of Canada, you might change your mind.

Ben Lamb. No Grizzly or Polar. Some pretty good eating. Great skins for sleds, floors, even boots. Plus a Polar helps us spiritually in the next world ;)

Randi. Same with Walrus, a lot of good usable and sellable parts.

MNelkhuntress. No Muskox ??? Great food and clothing contributor

The only animal I can think of that I would be reluctant to harvest ( we dont kill, we harvest and I always wondered if the animal knows the difference ) is the
Panda Bear ;)

I have killed a fair number of horses because of old age and unrepairable problems and one I just didn't like. $160 plus disposal from the vet vs $.50 and my tractor. Had to kill a number of dogs and cats for about the same reasons. Takes a bit to perfect a humane method. Dogs are the hardest to handle emotionally.
I've lost stock to big cats and wolves. They meet criteria of dead on sight and always be prepared. They favor young horses.

The rest -- if I can't eat it (all of it) I don't have much interest in shooting it. After thought -- gophers and geese need to be thinned-- public need.

I wouldn’t kill a giraffe or an elephant but fully support hunting them.
I have no desire to kill a black bear either. Same with fox. I also have no desire to hunt coastal brown bears. Not sure why, as I would love to hunt interior grizzlies.

If we could kill feral horses, I wouldn’t sign up for or spend my time and money traveling the west to pursue them, but I’d shoot them as I encountered them.

I have seen a few great videos of large croc hunts in Africa. These interest me a bit but I’d maybe feel bad about killing something that ancient.

Back