Yeti GOBOX Collection

Animals off the list

Whales are off my arbitrary list. I’ll skip that one, traditional or with a .300 RUM.

“Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.”

I grok Ishmael especially in the last weeks of summer before the seasons start...

It'd have to been with a hand thrown iron.

The only thing off limits is anything I wouldn't eat or use
Domesticated dog

and here is the one that’s a maybe, that I’ll probably get a whole lot of sh** for but I really don’t think I would shoot a wolf unless there was imminent danger to me or if it got a little too close to an elk I had already shot lol.. just something about a wolf is too close to a house pet for me..

I know I’ll get some sh** for that but it’s just not for me. Other than that there’s not much else that I would have a problem with tbh if it were legal, I had a tag, conservation or food in mind.
Don't feel bad about that. When I shoot coyotes, I after every kill have a hard time with it and it makes me very emotional. I'm a dog breeder and they are my only children so the canine mammals have the up most respect from me

My list of off limits animals
1. Parakeets, raised them as a kid and they hold a special place in my heart. Everything else is fair game to me

I’d like to try a giraffe. Can you imagine the neck roast on those suckers!!? I’m gonna need a bigger grill!
I went to Africa thinking I would shoot a giraffe but never a zebra. In country it flipped. Have a beautiful zebra hide being turned into a rug as we speak, and giraffe are on my no-go list. On the ground in the wild giraffe are simply fascinating majestic creatures. Had one in my sights at about 70 yards, wouldn’t take the shot. Just watched him in awe. He got within about 30 yards before wandering off.

As an aside, I didn’t know zebra had canines - weird.

Last edited:
More rambling about giraffe. A sense of size - a 1,500lb bull eland was standing underneath a giraffe for shade. The giraffe was munching on a tree and the eland on the grass below. Was super cool to see.

I prefer the walk and stalk of WY for hunting style, but a Hunting trip to Africa in no-fence, or “mega-ranches” is a must do. By mega-ranch I mean places like where we hunted - it was “fenced” but it was 100,000 acres. One of ten 100,000 fenced areas making up the grandfather of the outfitter’s 1 million acres of bushveld. No Texas high fence hunting feel whatsoever. We did go one day to another outfitter’s place where we found that outfitter had cordoned off his 50,000 acres into 1,000 acre fenced sub areas - definitely a different feel - not one I liked. Lots of different hunts/outfitters so doing your homework is well worth the trouble.

OCONUS: Not interested in anything. Not to take away from other's passion! I just have a lot of hunts to do stateside first!

CONUS:
I have no desire to shoot
  1. A coyote
  2. A fox
  3. Prairie dogs
  4. A lynx or Bobcat
  5. A wild horse
If I don't want to grill it, I won't kill it!
If you give a damn about mule deer you should kill every coyote you could.

If you give a damn about mule deer you should kill every coyote you could.
I understand your sentiment. It's the same here in Minnesota for wolves and whitetails. I simply will not break my code of I will eat what I kill. I have no opinion either way. If they had great eating meat then it'd be game on.

Sloth is probably off the list, anything slower than me deserves a break. Hunting Zimbabwe was a lot of work and something I enjoyed. I ate some of what I killed and saw that others were very grateful for the jobs and meat hunting provided. Nothing goes to waste on those animals, nothing.

Sloth is probably off the list, anything slower than me deserves a break. Hunting Zimbabwe was a lot of work and something I enjoyed. I ate some of what I killed and saw that others were very grateful for the jobs and meat hunting provided. Nothing goes to waste on those animals, nothing.
In SA we ate back straps from everything we killed. The rest went to a local school that was so poor that even National Geographic wouldn’t take its picture. If we assume 40% yield, we donated 2,000 pounds of fresh meat to those kids. According to a pastor who assists with the community, the hunters’ donations are about the only fresh meat these kids will ever experience growing up. Between the meat, the jobs, generous tipping, and leaving behind almost all of our clothes, boots and non-optics/firearm arms gear for the staff, we both had fun and helped out a shockingly poor community.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back