Ammo issue, or rifle issue? Help me please.

Bowmannate2000

I was given an older model 70 .22-250 from my grampa. Shot it for the first time and encountered something new to me. After firing, the bolt is extremely hard to open and three of the ten shots have what the internet tells me are "blanked" primers. I read this can be from several issues ranging from hit loaded ammo, weak during on spring, or a chamber issue. The ammo is prvi partizan. I have some federal fusion as well, but didn't have it with me to test.

What should be my next steps to check in troubleshooting this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_210408471.jpg
    IMG_20230530_210408471.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230530_210339356.jpg
    IMG_20230530_210339356.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 69
Thanks @winmag I'll quit shooting it. Out of curiosity, what issues can it cause?
Worst case: Gun goes boom in the wrong way risking facial cuts, loss of eyesight and possibly fingers
Possible case: blow primer etches the firing pin causing you to need to get a new one. You get a face full of escaping gas
Best case: nothing

Agree with everyone else: clean that rifle, inspect firing pin and bolt face for damage.

Last edited:
Thanks @winmag I'll quit shooting it. Out of curiosity, what issues can it cause?
Most likely galled (seized) action. Etched bolt face. Etched firing pin. With 3 pierced/blown primers you may already have some sort of bolt or firing pin damage.

Also possible to have some manner of blown up gun but that’s pretty difficult to do.

Grain of salt, but one review of the Prvi Partizan .22-250 on MidwayUSA describes it as "dangerously overload." Would be really interested to see what your rifle does with US-loaded commercial rounds.

Save some of the Prvi and take micrometer measurements of its specs vs. US ammo, too.

Was the bolt hard to close as well, or just hard to open? It's already been recommended, but clean the rifle thoroughly with an aggressive carbon/copper remover and try different ammo. I've had nothing but problems with Privi ammo. You're definitely way overpressure. Does the rifle show any signs of rust?

Only noticed it was hard to open. Closing seemed normal. Haven't seen any rust on the rifle.
Was the bolt hard to close as well, or just hard to open? It's already been recommended, but clean the rifle thoroughly with an aggressive carbon/copper remover and try different ammo. I've had nothing but problems with Privi ammo. You're definitely way overpressure. Does the rifle show any signs of rust?

Reactions: stk
I agree with cleaning that rifle. Clean until it sparkles.

Having said that, PPU ammo generally isn’t loaded that hot. It’s possible it’s the ammo but my experience is Privi ammo is built to be fired in older rifles…hence lower pressure.

Second thought: I’d probably go with Remington as a second choice in ammo.

Final Thought: get a cheap borescope? I’ve seen some that attach to a phone on amazon. Basically a threaded micro-camera. Not a bad idea to do a macro-look at the bore…

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back