PEAX Equipment

Am I Dedicated, Stubborn, or Stupid

I drove 28 hours straight from NC to WY 3 weeks ago. Not fun. I was constantly sipping 5 hour energy ha! I'd say catch a good 4 or 5 hour nap half way through

I would say wait to go hunting and do what you can to help your buddy get through this storm. At least that's what I think a good buddy would do.

Dan

First, if I was the buddy in line with the yearly hurricane stretch and I opted to stay - I would push you to get going and knock a big one! If you stayed to watch what occurs that neither of you can stop... Well... Watch away. Hurricane will do what it likes regardless the super cape you wear. I would kick you in the nuts if you stayed to hold my hand.
However, if you think after the hurricane does it's inevitable, he thinks he can head out then hang tight.

With that forum joined opinion piece, if you do head out, consider the following:

2100 miles each way... Give or take. Solo @ 20mpg(?)... 105 gallons each way... Say, $3 gallon = $630

Average flight from NC to WY - Round trip =

Screenshot_20180912-074628.jpg

Course, car rental: say... $200 for a week (more hunting, less days driving and refreshed versus recouping from overly long arse drive)

Screw driving! Fly, rent car - go hunt!

I agree with Tony. Wait until rifle season and take him with you. With the stress of the storm and possible property damage and whatnot, I'm willing to bet he'd need a break from the homefront for a little while. What is better than hunting and buddy time to reset?

Always wait for a good friend.

First, if I was the buddy in line with the yearly hurricane stretch and I opted to stay - I would push you to get going and knock a big one! If you stayed to watch what occurs that neither of you can stop... Well... Watch away. Hurricane will do what it likes regardless the super cape you wear. I would kick you in the nuts if you stayed to hold my hand.
However, if you think after the hurricane does it's inevitable, he thinks he can head out then hang tight.

With that forum joined opinion piece, if you do head out, consider the following:

2100 miles each way... Give or take. Solo @ 20mpg(?)... 105 gallons each way... Say, $3 gallon = $630

Average flight from NC to WY - Round trip =

View attachment 86946

Course, car rental: say... $200 for a week (more hunting, less days driving and refreshed versus recouping from overly long arse drive)

Screw driving! Fly, rent car - go hunt!

Now that's some info!

With the constant changes in the predictions of the storm, it may very well not be as bad in his neighborhood...as of this hour anyway. This gives us a glimmer of hope! I don't want to leave without him, and he keeps telling me that he wouldn't blame me a bit if I did go ahead and leave. But with the latest, I'm going to give it until this weekend and see what happens. We may both be able to go by Saturday or Sunday.

If you decide to head out by yourself, he might be able to follow after (flying) should he not be "needed" at home to deal with the storm damage. And then you share the drive back. Either way, I hope you have an adventure of all adventures.

IF you go I'd recommend podcasts, books to listen to, XM radio, long list of old friends and cousins that you should have kept in touch with over the years but haven't and call them to pass the time. When I get tired it's a recipe for disaster for me and other motorists, think of them as well as yourself in your travels if you go.

How's he doing? Watching the news. Seems a lot of rainfall though appears the hurricane was downgraded a couple notches from original.

Thoughts are with your hunt partner and his property.

Right now, he's about 50 miles from the eye, but still feeling the effects. Hoping everything stays intact at his home and no lose of power so we can head out maybe Sunday morning.

I'm right on the Virginia border so not too bad here but down east kinda rough. Good luck on your hunt, all 3 qualities you mention are necessary to travel out west from back here, plus you got to find another hunter diehard enough to go. That seems to be the hardest problem for a DIY hunter around here.

Do it...solo, you only have one person to argue with...;)

You should hear some of the shouting matches I have with yours truly...

If you screw up....its your fault. Coming home empty handed when its your fault is easy. Coming home empty handed when the bull is coming and you friend decides to put away his calls and scratch his ass.....is his fault. Yes that happened to me. Twice in one trip actually. Never again.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back